Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump! I eat at home since I don't work, but these all look easy enough for me to make along with whatever my youngest son is eating
  • Koorogi
    Koorogi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I made something really easy if you happen to like curry and lentil soup, which could be prepared at home and then reheated easily for work. I hate eating a whole can of soup and then being hungry later. So instead I prepared one serving of Sadaf's #1 fine Bulgur (which only took like 2 minutes) and then poured a can of Wild Harvest Organic Lentil Soup (from Albertsons). Next I added in about 1 TBSP of Curry Powder and 1/2 a TBSP of Garlic Powder (added a LITTLE salt to taste as well). Viola! I only ate half a serving, which came out to only 202 calories, rather then the 240 if I ate the whole can of soup, and I was much fuller due to the fiber from the bulgar! To make it a meal, I ate one slice of Squaw Bread, with 1/2 TBSP of country crock (+calcium version) and 2 1/2 slices of turkey. I even worked out and am not hungry yet, though I know I need to grab a snack. The entire meal hit only 355 cals and had 14g of fiber.
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try topping sandwiches with new veggies. For example, I like to mix my sandwiches with combinations of cucumber,different kinds of lettuce, tomato,onion,green pepper, hot pepper, and cheese. I also put pepper and Italian herbs on mine. You could get whole grain Italian bread or hearty rye, and pop it under the broiler with mozzarella cheese,tomato slices, and basil leafs just long enough to melt the cheese.

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE salad. If I could afford it, I'd get one every day. Mix romaine lettuce and with 'mixed greens' lettuce, chop up cucumber, cherry tomato, red onion rings, carrot shavings, and toss together with salt and pepper. BUT WE'RE NOT DONE YET! OH NO! After seasoning the veggies, sprinkle on some toasted almond slivers, some homemade low-fat croutons, a sprinkle of low-fat or fat-free shredded cheese of your liking add some Italian herb seasoning and sprinkle on a little olive oil, balsamic, or even poppy seed dressing. Just enough to coat the lettuce but not so much it's floating at the bottom of the bowl. You could top it with some chicken grilled in Italian marinade as well.

Take half a chicken, and slice it into strips. Cook it up in a pan until golden brown and add a dash of Kikkoman stir fry sauce. Add in some onions and green peppers until the onions are clear. Take half a bowl of steamed sticky rice or brown rice and top with a few slices of chicken and lots of veggies. You can take the left over chicken and veggie and make an Asian salad out of thinly chopped cabbage and romaine lettuce, top with almonds and sesame seeds.You could even put all that salad mix in the form of a chicken wrap.

You can use hummus as a sandwich spread with some of that Italian grilled chicken and tomato. Or even make a meal out of it by bringing some toasted pita bread (i make my own with store-bought pita) and your favorite veggies to just dip into the hummus. It's surprisingly more filling then you might think. You can also get different flavored hummus like garlic, or hot chili pepper. Hot chili pepper hummus as a sandwich spread could really boost up a normally bland sandwich.

Taking mini pita bread (the un-toasted kind) you can take some slices of block mozzarella cheese (the best kind!), some sweet tomato slices, and basil leafs to make a no-heat caprice pizza. Just remember not to take the biggest slices you can :P but using mini-pita should help prevent you from slopping on too much cheese.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I had a Field Roast Chipotle Chorizo Sausage (it's vegetarian wheat grain) on a piece of rye bread with mustard and romaine, ate it open face so that I only ate 1 pc. of bread! It was really yummy and if you like spicy food the chipotle chorizo sausage is for you!
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i typically have been taking leftover of what i made for dinner the night before. this week ive had chicken fajitas on low carb tortillas. i slow cooked the chicken in my crock pot so no oil was used to cook it. i sauteed yellow squash, green peppers and onions for the veggies and made guacamole and had some multigrain chips with it. guacamole is awesome and super good for you in moderation of course. ive also had rice and veggies, or rice and beans. a turkey wrap with romaine and cheese on a low carb tortilla is quick and easy. for snacks i usually have an orange and a cheese stick. i have discovered vitamin water zero "squeezed lemonade" flavor and i love it. zero calories and tons of vitamins. i wont lie sometimes i have a monster energy drink but its the no sugar no calorie kind. they are loaded with b vitamins which help with weight loss and just make you feel good.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch (all the veggies are raw):

spinach
    onion
    mushroom
    zucchini
    tomato
    garlic
    broccoli
    beans
    1/4 avocado
    Trader Joe's South African smoke seasoning
    (all cut up and mixed together. For "dressing" I just use the jalepeno "sauce" from the beans I get.)
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    bump
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    I've been bringing kipper snacks to work =)
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Flatouts wraps -- only 100 cals (some even less), lots of protein and nice and big! I spread a litte mayo mixed with Sriracha if I'm feeling spicy or Trader Joes Cilantro Chive Greek Yogurt Dip on and then load it up with leftovers from the grill, chicken, steak, pork tenderloin and then spinach, arugula or (my new fave) thinly sliced raw brussels sprouts tossed in a little EVOO, salt & pepper, sometimes some red onion too. Crazy yummy and you can put anything you want in there. I use them for breakfast with eggs, sausage....too!
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am loving Targets salads they have several different types, comes with dressing. The variety makes it where I dont get bored. It also scans into myfitnesspal app
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Banana, peanut butter and some light chocolate syrup. Very nice treat with good protein!!!
  • SkinnyTopher
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of a simple baby spinach salad, tossed very lightly with some low-cal or low-fat EVOO, and some walnuts and cranberries thrown in... along with crumbled goat cheese. It sounds fattening but it's really not. Spinach is super low-cal and a tiny bit of goat cheese goes a long way, as does EVOO.
  • SabKab16
    SabKab16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    - non fat greek yogurt with either chickpeas or black eyed beans (rinsed/drained)..... mixed in with cilantro, chili powder, and black pepper. Maybe some boiled eggs or some fruit?

- Grilled salmon filet with a salad.

- stiry fry (I put EXTREMELY little oil).. with lots of veggies, beans, spices, and herbs... All the herbs and spices really give it a lot of taste, so there's really no need for salt.
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've been eating lean cuisine with raw veggies on the side. This is because I inherited them for free, though. They are really high in sodium, but well portion controlled, and decent tasting.

I also eat cereal or oatmeal at work a lot. Both are portable and edible.

Another good idea is sliced cheese with grapes or apple and some whole-grain crackers (I personally like wheat thins).

PBJ on wheat.

Veggies and lunchmeat with hummus or apples/bananas with PB.

I'm not sure about you, but when I'm packing work lunches, *easy* is my priority. :)
  • KetchikanLadyDi
    KetchikanLadyDi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great ideas!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I only like salad when I'm working ...Here is one a runner friend shared with me a few years back as her fave

Jodi's Big Salad

2 cups torn romaine lettuce hears
    1 cup torn spinach leaves
    1/2 hard boiled egg, chopped
    approx 2onces chopped cooked chicken breast
    1/4 pomegranate arils or 1/4 raspberries or chopped apple
    2Tablespoons crumbled feta or crumbled goat cheese
    1-1 T nuts of your choice or sunflower seeds
    2T your favorite salad dressing ..she used Bolthouse Farms Raspberry Merlot Vinegar Lite

Please note I"m not a sweet and savory mixer so i usually leave out he fruit and I use a different salad dressing too but its sooooo good :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Snacks:

Baby carrots and hummus
    Black bean dip (beans mashed and mixed with salsa) + veggies
    Air popped popcorn (just toss 1/4 cup kernels in a brown bag and nuke for 3 mins)
    Grapefruit + sprinkle of sugar
    Fat free english muffin with laughing cow spread on top

Lunches:

Mediterranean wrap, hummus + sliced turkey and veg
    English muffin pizzas: bake cheese, turkey pepperoni + marinara on a toasted muffin
    Brown rice salad: cooked brown rice, sliced onion, spring peas, tomato, olives, etc + italian dressing
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite (lunch or dinner):
    Joseph's Lavish Flat Bread, cut into squares...
    top with 2 tbl Hummus, and the following vegis (all finely chopped)
    Fresh garlic, red onion, tomato, cucumber, radish, red peppers...
    Toast in toaster oven....
    when slighly crispy, top with balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, black pepper, 1/4 cup feta and shredded raw spinach.
    403 calories, VERY filling and DELICIOUS!
    disclaimer: I am a vegetarian...