Sugar

Options
manning9
manning9 Posts: 9 Member
I am over on my sugar every day but cant make my reccomended caloric intake due to exercise and I am not a sweet eater. I didn't realize how much sugar is in skim milk! Any suggestions ?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    short answer? ignore the sugar. don't even track it. you'll be fine.*

*this assumes there is no pre-existing medical problem relating to sugar intake.
  • manning9
    manning9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks..no pre existing conditions just trying to take it to the next level !
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You are fine! You just need to make sure it is the right type of sugar :smile:
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    vanilla soy milk is real good ☺
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    is it from fruit? fruit is over rated anyway...some is good for sure...but we dont need that much fruit

I wouldnt just blow off sugar and go willy nilly...but sugar is sugar wherever it comes from and we dont need to over do it

the idea that its ok if its from fruit is wrong
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

avoid all soy products
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try unsweetened almond milk.
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am always over my sugar from the milk I put in my coffee. Each cup has 12g of sugar and I easily use 2 cups of milk/day (I like alot of milk in my coffee) I just bought coconut milk tonight to try tomorrow am, as they were out of the unsweetened almond to try, but not sure. I will not do soy, I tried fat free cream with 1g sugar, but tasted "artificial". The coconut milk is 45 cal/cup and 0 sugar, so I will find out in the am. I will also try the almond milk, but I have a feeling they will taste too sweet??? Might have to live with the "sugary"milk
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

*this assumes there is no pre-existing medical problem relating to sugar intake.

^^ This. If you are eating "sugar" that comes naturally in food. it's totally good. it's added sugar (like you find in the sweetened un-milks) that *can* be an issue.

PLUS... lots of stuff in the database doesn't agree with the nutrition labels I find on my food. So don't sweat the "nutrient goals" just use them for basic guidance, like am I getting *enough*
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

^^ This. If you are eating "sugar" that comes naturally in food. it's totally good. it's added sugar (like you find in the sweetened un-milks) that *can* be an issue.

PLUS... lots of stuff in the database doesn't agree with the nutrition labels I find on my food. So don't sweat the "nutrient goals" just use them for basic guidance, like am I getting *enough*

it is this kind of approach that got me here in the first place
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Same issues here, but what normally pushes me over is what comes from fruits. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but do like certain things like peanut butter (that doesn't have much) and apples, carrots, bananas. I might look up some of those foods and start making my own food entries only.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

^^^Agree.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

[/quote]

^^^Agree.
    [/quote]

I dont understand why people think that sugar is ok if it comes from fruit. some is ok but too much is too much. your body dont care where sugar comes from but it cares if you give it too much. too much fruit sugar is just as bad as if you dump too much sugar in your coffee
  • araxiedyck
    Options
    I switched to "just peanuts" peanut butter, there is only 1 g of sugar in that per tbsp I beleive. I just tried the coconut milk straight--it might work, I am actually surpised, it's not sweet like I thought it would be. Will see how it tastes in the coffee. But not sure if every store sells it, and don't like getting things that are hard to find. I also eat a replacement bar for lunch. the one's I was eating have 20 of sugar, so I switched to atkins which has 1 g sugar. I just want to try to get rid of unnessicary added sugar
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I dont understand why people think that sugar is ok if it comes from fruit. some is ok but too much is too much. your body dont care where sugar comes from but it cares if you give it too much. too much fruit sugar is just as bad as if you dump too much sugar in your coffee

well, you're right that your body breaks it down into chemical elements the same, regardless of source. but barring a pre-existing condition? sugar in moderate amounts doesn't matter. a healthy body will process it just fine.

are you worried about diabetes? is that the deal here? because sugar doesn't cause that. the failure to process sugar the right way is a symptom of the disease.

or are you thinking sugar = weight gain? because that's a calorie.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

well, you're right that your body breaks it down into chemical elements the same, regardless of source. but barring a pre-existing condition? sugar in moderate amounts doesn't matter. a healthy body will process it just fine.

are you worried about diabetes? is that the deal here? because sugar doesn't cause that. the failure to process sugar the right way is a symptom of the disease.

or are you thinking sugar = weight gain? because that's a calorie.

well .....now you changed or clarified your position....now you say "in moderate amounts"...thats my point.....earlier you said dont even track it...others have said if its sugar from fruit dont worry...but .fruits are like anything....moderation...but some think you can just eat all the fruit you want...you cant ...you still need to watch those calories and sugar too if you are managing your weight
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    They really need to let people know that it's "added" sugar and not just sugar in general.
  • Theirdeedee
    Options

avoid all soy products

100% agree, avoid Soy at all costs, ESPECIALLY women. It greatly effects your hormones, and can have very negative effects. For years it gave me ovarian cysts. No one could figure out why I was getting them. I decided to cut things out of my diet one at a time, and soy was the culprit.

Go for nut milks, like almond milk. They sell it unsweatened. Cows milk causes an over production of mucus anyways, you dont need it. You can get as much vit D and calcium out of green veggies.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    They really need to let people know that it's "added" sugar and not just sugar in general.

I think this fails the logic test - if I use concentrated apple juice to sweeten an oat based cereal is the "added" sugar a problem ?

Fruit juice (natural, expressed, no added anything) contains sugars - sucrose, glucose and fructose - just like regular sodas do. Fruit is essentially fruit juice plus a bit of fiber and pulp used for cattle feed.

http://www.hookedonjuice.com/
  • araxiedyck
    Options
    I am over on my sugar every day but cant make my reccomended caloric intake due to exercise and I am not a sweet eater. I didn't realize how much sugar is in skim milk! Any suggestions ?

well, for me, I think I am going to stick with my whole milk and count it. On the days I eat well, and don't cheat, basically the bulk of my sugars come from the milk in my coffee. I do not ADD sugar to my coffee. I love my coffee and am not giving that up, I have tried a few things now, but it is not the same. I am going to cut back on my coffee (try for 2-3 /day) and count the milk, I rather enjoy less coffee, than my usual amount and not enjoy it. I did try the coconut milk this am. It actaully is not bad, however, the texture is thin like 1 % milk, and I like whole milk or 2%. you might really like the coconut milk. I got unsweetened which has 45 cal/cup and 0g sugar. only a slight coconut after taste. I choce the coconut over almond as the coconut had less ingredients where the almond milk seemed to have some extra stuff like tapioca... that did not seem natural