Best Way To Boil Eggs?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I seem to not be having much success at doing hard boiled eggs (blush of shame). My last lot were hard, but I couldn't get the darn shells off without taking half the white away, so obviously I have not got the technique right.

Anyone give me some basic instructions for the best hard boiled eggs? ( I put them in the fridge in their shells for later use)

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    A few things help.

The fresher the egg the harder it is to peel. Buy them a week in advance, or at the very least a few days.

When you boil them, put them in the water while it is cold and bring them to a boil. Make sure you put salt in the water, this makes a huge difference.

Boil for a minute, turn off the heat, and let them sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. This cooks them through without overcooking.

When you peel them, peel them under cold running water.
  • buffalodaughter
    Options
    Once they're done cooking transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water. Works like a charm. :)
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here is how I cook mine:

Put your eggs in the pan. Cover them with water. Put them on the stove on high until the water starts boiling. Set the timer for 6 minutes. When the timer goes off put a lid on the pot and turn off the burner. Set the timer for six minutes. When they are done run cold water over them.

When you are ready to peel them, crack at both ends and run cold water over the egg. The cold water gets under the shell and makes it easier to peel.

:tongue:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Usually, I let the water get to a rolling boil, and let it go at that for 10 minutes. Then I take the pot off the stove and put it under running cold water for about 3 minutes. When peeling them, I start at the tip of the egg and then crack the rest of the shell and then it usually comes off in a few pieces. I think the place where you crack it first is the important part, though. My mom told me about that, and since then, I have done it and not lost half the egg while peeling it.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Once they're done cooking transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water. Works like a charm. :)

This
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This

Third this. And let them sit a few days after you buy them. Cook them up 1-2 days before they expire for easiest peeling.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I saw on Pinterest, get a muffin tin, put one egg in each cup. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, immerse in cold water until cool. Apparently they will peel perfectly every time!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I seem to not be having much success at doing hard boiled eggs (blush of shame). My last lot were hard, but I couldn't get the darn shells off without taking half the white away, so obviously I have not got the technique right.

Anyone give me some basic instructions for the best hard boiled eggs? ( I put them in the fridge in their shells for later use)
    Do you have an electric kettle? If you do, that's honestly the easiest way to boil eggs. Put them in the kettle with some water to cover and salt. Turn it on, when it reaches a boil and shuts off, wait 15 minutes, then peel and eat.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I saw on Pinterest, get a muffin tin, put one egg in each cup. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, immerse in cold water until cool. Apparently they will peel perfectly every time!

^ I have never heard of this. I'll have to try it.
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Yes!! I do it this way now. Comes out perfect every time and so smooth! Here's the link:

http://greetingsfromtheasylum.blogspot.com/2011/05/got-eggs.html
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used to have so many problems with boiling eggs! I'd always make a mess and still tear my eggs to pieces! I followed all the ice water directions and everything.
    Then I found a much easier way!
    I learned from Alton Brown on the Food Network an easier way.

I get great hard cooked eggs in the oven!

Just put them on the rack of your oven, preset to 325, and cook for 30 minutes and cool. I usually throw mine in the fridge and peel them the next morning for breakfast!

They also make for easy devilled eggs! My favorite!

http://www.food.com/recipe/Hard-Cooked-Eggs-in-the-Oven-Baked-Eggs-61856
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Oh, I haven't done them in a muffin tin. I put mine directly on the rack. I will have to see if it changes anything with the different temp on mine. :)
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have put them straight on the rack and in a muffin tin. Either way works great and I haven't had any eggs break in the oven.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Eggs in the oven. I had no idea!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i agree with older eggs

i put mine in the pot w/ cold water.. once it starts boiling, count 10 mins
    then i dunk them in ice cold water (litterly ice / water)

when im ready to start peeling, i tap it against the counters edge, all the way around the middle, then they usually peel away in 2 chunks

and my eggs are always yellow on the inside ( green is over cooked)
    i learned the above by watching Martha Stewart lol
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just tried this recipe today and it worked really well. I didn't have to shell them under cold water and I only lost a bit of white on one egg due to my fingernails.

http://greetingsfromtheasylum.blogspot.com/2011/05/got-eggs.html

I'm going to try baking them next. I love most of Alton Brown's odd cooking miracles!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    place eggs in saucepan with tap water.

bring to rolling boil

switch off stove and remove saucepan from heat.

let it sit COVERED for 15 mins.

Peel eggs and enjoy the firm but not dry yellow yolk inside.

i hate greyish yolks:grumble:
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Hmmm...interesting. Might have to give it a try. Could combine with baking something else and save some propane, too.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I just put my egg(s) in a pot of water and then boil for 20 minutes. Then replace the hot water with cold water, it makes it so easy to peel. Just tap on roll the egg on the counter then the shell practically peels off on its own.
  • jayb33z
    jayb33z Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Dang, i just chunk mine in cold water, bring to boil, leave boiling for 15 minutes, strain, Peel, and eat. sometimes i use cold water. sometimes i don't. can't tell a difference and always taste well