How the heck do i cook fish?

Options
Not gonna lie, I've never cooked it before in my life. However, now that I'm trying to eat healthier I figured I might as well learn. I bought swai fish [never heard of it...but it was affordable lol] and now I don't know what to do with it! Every cooking website keeps giving me the most unhealthy recipes! Help! I need something at least moderately healthy lol.

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I've only ever baked or grilled fish - you could try that. Brush on a little olive oil and some herbs then slap it on the grill or in the oven until it's cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. :) Oven temp and time will vary depending on the fillet thickness.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I hadnt heard of that type of fish but I usually drizzle a little italian dressing on fish and grill it. YUM.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Whenever I get salmon or tilapia filets, I do this:

Put about half an inch of water in a small saucepan. Add just a dab of mustard and some pepper (and salt if you can have it) and if you got it, lemon juice and garlic. Let it come to a boil, put your lil fish in there (not sure how big swai is) and put the lid on. Maybe 8 minutes on one side, 8 on the other depending on how thick it is. When you take it out it's soooo juicy and tender.

Before weight loss, I also put butter in it. Honestly though the mustard is what will make your mouth water. SOUNDS WEIRD but it's sooo good.
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    The easiest way for me to cook fish is to put it in a frying pan, coat it in olive oil, put a dash of salt and pepper, maybe some lemon juice (although it is cool just to put it on after it's cooked) and stick the pan in the oven for about 6-8 min. It doesn't lose any juices this way.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bake, add lemon juice, salt, pepper and lots of greens...I twice tried interesting dressing with fish, but could not find exact recepie...One was mahi mahi with grape dressing, another was salmon with pamegranate..but both dressing were a bit sweet
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually add some olive oil or butter, fresh lemon juice, fresh onion, and mrs. dash. Then wrap fish in foil. Bake in oven at 350 for about 15-20 min until the fish flakes. Cooking time will vary depending on amount of fish.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    its not a strong smelling fish so you can do anything you like with it :P

I personally like spraying it with olive oil, sprinkling garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and some Southwestern seasoning on it and bake at 400 for 20 mins or until it flakes with a fork.

or marinate it overnight in lemon and olive oil and salt and put a pat of butter on it and bake the next day,

i bake it uncovered so it gets nice and crispy
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend baking, but make sure that if the filet has a skin, put the skin side down and spray your pan with a nonstick baking spray first to make sure it doesn't get stuck on there. Parchment paper works also if you don't have baking spray. You can coat with a little melted butter and the sprinkle some fresh herbs and garlic on there.

Bake at 325 until the fish is flaky. Depending on thickness, it can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes so just keep checking it.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    the nice thing about fish is you don't even have to cook it if you don't wanna.

i mean i do. but you don't have to. i'm a salmon fan and i grill or bake it until it flakes with a fork. it goes great with dill weed and/or lemon pepper.

edit: dern typo
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i bake or grill. if i'm feeling lazy then i'll prepare it ceviche style with a lime juice, cilantro and hot pepper marinade
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fish, but it's mostly trout and salmon, as well as walleye and smallmouth bass. For trout, I will bake or pan-fry it in 3 g of coconut oil, season liberally with dill weed and some paprika or cayenne or lemon. For walleye, I pan-fry it in coconut oil or butter and season it with seasoning salt. Sometimes I will use a tomato sauce on my trout instead, or grill it on the barbecue if it's a fresh catch.
  • missmaggiejane
    Options
    wow so many different ideas! thanks so much!!! =D
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fish, but it's mostly trout and salmon, as well as walleye and smallmouth bass. For trout, I will bake or pan-fry it in 3 g of coconut oil, season liberally with dill weed and some paprika or cayenne or lemon. For walleye, I pan-fry it in coconut oil or butter and season it with seasoning salt. Sometimes I will use a tomato sauce on my trout instead, or grill it on the barbecue if it's a fresh catch.

This made me want some walleye so bad... haven't had it since I was very young. :) Some of the best tasting fish imo.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I usually bake it. I LOVE Mahi Mahi and it is so tasty in a ginger sauce or just seasoned with spices.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I usually bake it on a piece of foil @ 350 for 10 min or you can fry/grill it for a few minutes until cooked through (165*) . I toss some spice on it here and there. Preserves the protein and doesn't add any fat.
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    tin of tomatos. glass of white wine. spices like pepper, chili, parsely etc. cook in a pan on the stove, add in some chopped mushies and some spinach. then add the fish fillets and cook in the sauce until they flake apart.. either serve with pasta, rice or with some vegies on the side. its to die for!
  • hoblingalong
    Options
    I have not heard of swai fish but a good way of cooking fish is in a piece of foil or baking paper in oven.Add herbs or spices or sliced tomato (keeps fish moist) or any other finely grated or sliced low cal vegs and maybe some lemon juice-if fish is a dry one a lttle sprinkle of olive oil would be good too
    Make a bit of a parcel with all of the above and cook at moderate heat-time depends on how big your bit of fish is-you may need to check from time to time - enjoy!

If small piece of fish - steam on a plate over a pan of simmering water with the pot lid or foil on top of the fish to keep moisture in add herbs etc if wanted'
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Swai is Vietnamese Catfish, basically. Any white fish recipe will work fine. You can go as simple as lemon and butter and bake, to as complex a sauce as you want. You can bread and fry it (Ritz crackers make an amazing fish breading, especially for a shallow pan fry.) You can make soup (there's an Asian catfish soup with coconut milk, ginger and lemon grass.)

It's versatile, just like catfish, although personally, I'd buy US farm raised catfish over swai. Swai may be cheaper, but they don't really regulate catfish farming in Vietnam, and there's no telling what nasty things they may use in the feed or in the processing.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I mix a couple of tablespoons marmalade (or 1 cup orange juice, and grate some peel into it) and 1teaspoon ginger, a bit of garlic, and pepper, pour it over the fish and bake or simmer in a pan on the stove, and make a sauce with the juices. Serve with rice and veggies or a salad.