Advice needed please weight loss/ exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I didn't know what a stone was because I'm not from the U.K. Sounds like you have 50 more pounds to go. You need not to worry about losing muscle mass until your bodyfat percentage is in the teens. How much cardio are you doing at the gym? Try and get at least an hour of cardio in. From my own experience, you should be losing at least a pound a day for each day you go to the gym. I never eat back my workout calories though so that could be your problem.

Edit: Try not to go under 500 calories a day as it might cause abnormal heartbeats.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    When you say VLCD, how many calories are you eating per day?
  • lauriethom
    lauriethom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You obviously haven't read the whole page. If you had you would have noticed I am very keen to go about things 'the right way'

People like you are no help what so ever. Actually it's people like you who put me off posting on here.

I was after help, which thankfully I was given.

How is changing my diet and doing exercise going about things the wrong way?

If you want to lose weight just for a wedding in such extreme manner, you are going about it all wrong.

Why not save/invest all that money you are paying on gym memberships, personal trainers, 'diet foods' etc and buy a 4 week ticket to India instead??

Not only will you lose 90 lbs in 4 weeks, you will also experience new things ( assuming you haven't been before) and be no less healthy than if you were to pound it out with aggressive cardio and eating 3 grapes a day.

Take lots of TP with you...you'll need it.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    If you want to lose weight just for a wedding in such extreme manner, you are going about it all wrong.

Why not save/invest all that money you are paying on gym memberships, personal trainers, 'diet foods' etc and buy a 4 week ticket to India instead??

Not only will you lose 90 lbs in 4 weeks, you will also experience new things ( assuming you haven't been before) and be no less healthy than if you were to pound it out with aggressive cardio and eating 3 grapes a day.

MMA fighters, boxers, and some bodybuilders do some form of a VLCD right before competition. Fighters like those in MMA will train at 10 to 15 pounds above their body weight and do a VLCD 2 to 3 weeks before they weight in. More specifically, they will do a diet called PSMF. It's basically an all protein 800 calorie diet with the addition of cardio to drop the last 10 pounds a fighter needs to make the weight in.

Also, with a quick google search you will find that doctors will recommend a VLCD for the obese as an obese individual will lose very little muscle mass. If you are 15+ pounds overweight then you are considered obese according to the BMI index. Just saying a diet is unhealthy or wrong really doesn't provide any helpful information for anyone and just feeds into a type of fear mongering without any facts other then your opinion.

As someone who has done a VLC-Diet and researched it a bit, I can tell you that the real downside to it is an abnormal heartbeat which can lead to death. This is the reason why a doctor will recommend supplements to ensure proper heart circulation.
  • lauriethom
    Options
    Okay, so I didn't know what a stone was because I'm not from the U.K. Sounds like you have 50 more pounds to go. You need not to worry about losing muscle mass until your bodyfat percentage is in the teens. How much cardio are you doing at the gym? Try and get at least an hour of cardio in. From my own experience, you should be losing at least a pound a day for each day you go to the gym. I never eat back my workout calories though so that could be your problem.

Edit: Try not to go under 500 calories a day as it might cause abnormal heartbeats.

thanks for the feedback. I am doing roughly an hour a day cardio and an hour weights.
  • lauriethom
    Options

I DON'T want to just lose weight for a wedding! Don't you know having a goal is the number one reason for a successful weight loss. The end of the year I'm a bridesmaid, can't think of a better goal than that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're trying to lose 120LBS in 10 months?

Wow. You do know that your chances of keeping that weight off are, well, slim, right?

Are you doing this with a doctor?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Wow. You do know that your chances of keeping that weight off are, well, slim, right?

Why would keeping that weight off of her be slim? If she stops exercising 4 times a week and goes back to eating junk food then I would agree with you but it is entirely possible for her to maintain her ideal weight if she does not stop exercising 4 times a week on a normal 16,000 calorie diet or whatever her calorie maintenance would be. All she has to do is maintain her ideal weight for 2 to 3 months for her body to understand that that is her goal weight. I believe some people say you need to maintain for 8 months but I believe 2 to 3 months is all you really need to get your body adjusted to the new weight.
  • lauriethom
    Options

well I've lost 60 already so only another 60 to go.

Any diet you do if you go back to eating the way you did before you will put the weight back on. I'm not on a diet I am on a life changing mission. Yes my doctor is quite aware, and had to agree to me doing the VLCD. He is extremely pleased with my losses, and the effects losing weight has on my health overall. So yes I am doing this with dr's approval.
  • lauriethom
    Options

Why would keeping that weight off of her be slim? If she stops exercising 4 times a week and goes back to eating junk food then I would agree with you but it is entirely possible for her to maintain her ideal weight if she does not stop exercising 4 times a week on a normal 16,000 calorie diet or whatever her calorie maintenance would be. All she has to do is maintain her ideal weight for 2 to 3 months for her body to understand that that is her goal weight. I believe some people say you need to maintain for 8 months but I believe 2 to 3 months is all you really need to get your body adjusted to the new weight.

I'd like to thank you for sticking up for me. Too many negative comments I want support not people telling me my chances are 'slim' at keeping the weight off! The same could be said to anyone, if you go back to your old eating habbits you will gain the weight!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    PS "I can't bear to think of being 28 and having a body like an 80 year old"

You should think through the impact of your current regime on bone density. You're going about getting the body of an 80 year old in precisely the right way - with a widow's stoop, and nice osteoporosis to look forward to in the near future.
    ....I like this....This lady is so right...
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    PS "I can't bear to think of being 28 and having a body like an 80 year old"

You should think through the impact of your current regime on bone density. You're going about getting the body of an 80 year old in precisely the right way - with a widow's stoop, and nice osteoporosis to look forward to in the near future.
    ....I like this....This lady is so right...

Not true for those with an obese body weight and just more fear mongering.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

well I've lost 60 already so only another 60 to go.

Any diet you do if you go back to eating the way you did before you will put the weight back on. I'm not on a diet I am on a life changing mission. Yes my doctor is quite aware, and had to agree to me doing the VLCD. He is extremely pleased with my losses, and the effects losing weight has on my health overall. So yes I am doing this with dr's approval.
    I guess I don't understand. You're planning to stay on a VLCD forever? Are you learning how to keep it off? I hope? I'm not trying to be mean, just worried that you're setting yourself up. PS: I'm glad you check in with your doctor. It's such a lot of weight to lose in a short time. Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intention.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Here's a link to a VLCD and the results of someone who's done the diet for only two weeks. He did PSMF. Obviously, if he would continue with this diet then he would have the body of an 80 year old grandma but you just need to know when to stop and slowly progress up to eating your maintenance calories.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121060001&highlight=psmf
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Guys, Laurie's already said that she's hoping to change her eating practices, and is looking for some support with that. Perhaps it would be helpful to focus on giving her that support?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Laurie, well done on exploring ways other than vlcd for weight loss. My opinion on vlcd is just that, an opinion, and of no consequence as to where you are now. But I can answer your original question...

Can you lose a stone a month on a "normal" weight loss program? Probably not, even in ideal conditions you would be looking at 10 to 12 lb per month. Unfortunately I think you will see less loss than that as you gradually ramp the calories back in.

I hope this doesn't put you off making the change, because for you long term health's sake a higher calorific intake and steady loss would be much better.

Best wishes.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic to see you're keen to switch to losing the rest of the weight in the right way - the sustainable, healthy way. I have friends who have been where you are, and made the difficult switch away from a VLCD. It's worth it and, frankly, it's essential for long term success. Nobody can eat a super low diet forever, so you might as well transition now before real damage is done.

Like others have said, it's a good idea to gradually increase your calories and get your body nourished again. You may see temporary - TEMPORARY - weight gain in this period, which is normal. You need to keep perspective and wait a couple weeks while your body has time to adjust to the higher calorie amounts. Metabolisms do eventually speed up again when the food level rises, but it'll take time to adjust.

I am currently 211 pounds (5'6") and I eat 1600-2000 calories per day, and get 45-60 min of activity per day, and I lose 1-2 pounds every week. I have already lost over 50 pounds this way, with about 40 more to go. Eating more does work and it means I get the vitamins and nutrients my body needs for energy and sport performance.

Many threads on the MFP forums will show you examples of women who are eating higher calorie amounts, staying active, and losing weight. This is one of my favourites: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Also there is a group on here called "Eat More to Weigh Less" that has some really helpful people on its forums, and some really helpful threads as stickies. I suggest you join it and read through those threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Seriously???????

NOBODY should lose a pound a day unless they are like 400lbs, by not eating back exercise cals this creates too much of a deficit which is unhealthy and will result in muscle loss.
    Saying you don't lose muscle unless bf is below 15% is absolute *kitten*, muscle mass will be lost at any weight if the person doesn't take in enough calories, especially as OP is on vlcd and doing a lot of exercise!
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Seriously???????

NOBODY should lose a pound a day unless they are like 400lbs, by not eating back exercise cals this creates too much of a deficit which is unhealthy and will result in muscle loss.
    Saying you don't lose muscle unless bf is below 15% is absolute *kitten*, muscle mass will be lost at any weight if the person doesn't take in enough calories, especially as OP is on vlcd and doing a lot of exercise!

More uneducated fear mongering talk without any facts to back you up other then your opinion. You should know that the topic creator is doing this diet in conjunction with her doctor and it is not a makeshift diet that she created. As for the statement on muscle loss, an obese person will lose very little muscle mass compared to a lean individual. Anyone with more then 15+ pounds of fat is considered obese according to the BMI index. You can read more about about muscle loss in obese individuals compared to lean in individuals at the link below.

Link with general information that you should know.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode

Link for VLCD/PSMF 2 week before and after shot from someone who is not 400 pounds.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121060001&highlight=psmf

Link for UCLA center for human nutrition on VLCD.
    http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32

Edit: Just fixing some typos.