When to up your calories?

Options
In the last year I have lost 64 pounds in the last year. I am currently at 126lbs at 5 ft 6. I have passed my "dream" weight, I never thought I could lose this much. When I look at the number on the scale, I'm happy, but when I look in the mirror there is still SO VERY MUCH improvements that need to be made. I am doing about 30-45 minutes of jogging/walking intervals 3-4 times a week and 3 60 minute long Bodypump classes a week.Two weeks ago I changed my MFP goal to maintenance (-60 calories) so my calories have gone from 1500 to 1700. But it terrifies me. I do not want to gain fat, but I DO want to gain muscle. On the advice of my bodybuilder brother I changed my goal percentages to 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20^ fat. I have done pretty good meeting them, not perfect. Unfortunately, I AM STARVING! I don't understand why when I have upped my calories but I am hungrier now than I have been through this whole dieting year except for at the very first. For the last three days I have gotten up between 4-5 am because my stomach is growling. I actually feel weak and dizzy when I get up, until I eat. This is crazy.
Do I give it more time?
Up my calories again?, if so how much?
Is it in my head?
Anybody else here?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I changed my goal percentages to 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20^ fat

What were they before ?
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Whatever MFP defaults to, I think 30f 55c 15p
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Whatever MFP defaults to, I think 30f 55c 15p

May be best to open your food diary to public so people can see what you've changed.

More calories per say shouldn't do what you describe, but a switch to more carbs at the expense of other things might.
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I thought my diary was open, maybe it is just to "friends", I'll check it out. But I haven't changed to MORE carbs, I changed to more protein, from 15% to 40% (again, as a goal) I am getting closer but it is hard to meet some days.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. 5'6" and just under 125. But MFP says to eat 1600 calories a day. I am deathly afraid that I will start to gain but know that if I keep the smaller amount of calories that I will continue to lose.

I also have been walking usually 30 min a day, and I go work out at least 3 times a week. Every day I do crunches but still the belly and the hips seem to need to go somewhere. LOL. Good luck and hopefully you get the result you are after.