Break outs from exercise?

Options
MrsSamB
MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
I have sensitive skin and eczema (I don't know if that really matters) and I have been exercising consistently since December 2011. I have noticed that my skin on my face, back and chest has major breakouts. I realize that the breakouts are in the areas where I sweat the most so to combat this, I wash my face with water right when I finish exercising and when I take a shower (after I stop sweating) I make sure to wash the breakout areas really well with the Clinique bar soap. It doesn't seem to be helping, it actually seems like it's getting worse. Do any of you have suggestions for what to do for this? Have you noticed that your skin is breaking out more often now that you're exercising regularly?

sam

Replies

• cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing, mainly on my back and chest. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. Lately, I have been using a scrubby brush loofah thing, lol, with regular bar soap (irish spring). I've been thinking about purchasing a body wash designed for breakouts....

Sorry I couldn't help more, but at least you know you're not allone =)
  • camille108
    camille108 Posts: 10
    Options
    I noticed it mainly on my back so I started using a blemish fighting facial cleanser on my back in the shower and a few times a week I use one of those OTC blemish ointments at night after I workout before bed and if I do that consistently my back stays clear.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to wash your face and take a shower immediately after working out to help.
  • brehol
    brehol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unscented, hypoallergenic baby wipes - swab down chest, top of back and face - works great!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Clinique bar soap is not the best for breakout prone skin. Too drying. Try something more gentle, like Cetaphil, or a creamier cleanser. I know it's counter-intuitive but drying out your skin exacerbates breakouts. Also, if you are washing your face after workouts in addition to a morning and nightly cleansing, that might be irritating your skin. See what happens if you use only warm water in the morning.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me- I have sensitive skin, and I sweat a lot when I exercise.
    If you use a towel to dry off while you're exercising, make sure you are using a soft towel that's not going to cause further irritation. If you can, bring your own towel, because the gym towels can be quite scratchy even when they're completely clean. Also, it helped me to wash my face completely clean before I workout, so I'm not rubbing make up and dirt in it while I work out. If you tend to wipe or touch your face while working out, make sure you clean the gym machine before you work out (and of course, after, but that goes without saying).

Use a gentle cleanser right after you work out. A lot of people love cleansers with salycilic acid, but they're way too harsh for me. If you can tolerate them, they're great at preventing break outs. I use a gentle cleanser, but I make sure to wash my face, chest, and back as soon as I can, or at least use a cleansing wipe.
    Also, make sure you moisturize. I completely agree with LiddyBit - over drying can make breakouts a lot more aggressive and painful if you have sensitive skin.
    My face looked like a tween's face for about 8 weeks after I started working out intensely. Once I got into a decent routine, was eating clean, and hydrated properly, my skin improved immensely. It does get better, it just takes some time.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Clinique bar soap is not the best for breakout prone skin. Too drying. Try something more gentle, like Cetaphil, or a creamier cleanser. I know it's counter-intuitive but drying out your skin exacerbates breakouts. Also, if you are washing your face after workouts in addition to a morning and nightly cleansing, that might be irritating your skin. See what happens if you use only warm water in the morning.

Agree!!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been having the same problem.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i have acne & slight eczema :(
    when i work out it seems to make it better UNLESS im in a city >.> i live in the middle of nowhere & my skin is okayy(not the best) but when i go to a bigger city i look horrid & my hair is ewwwie too >.<
    im thinking that its when the nasty air gets with your sweat
    i have no idea how to keep it from doing this but i sure wish i did cuz im moving to a city soon and im going to look horrid lol
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. It is good to know that I'm not alone. I've never thought about washing my face prior to the workout (I will begin doing this). And, husband has been putting some astringent on my back daily for about a week. I haven't noticed any difference but will continue.

So, just Cetaphil brand cleanser?

sam