What food for before and after a workout?

Options
TheTrimTim
TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
Hi there. I'm a typically guy wanting to reduce some fat around my belly, whilst improving my cardio, and perhaps bulk up a little - or at least develop some definition. I work a typical Monday to Friday 9-5 job. I usually go to the gym to do a Crossfit class for around 30 minutes every Thursday evening (7.00pm-7.30pm) and a Circuit Training class on Saturday mornings for 30 minutes (10.00am-10.30am). Now summer is coming, I'm also looking to do a couple of hours cycling every weekend too.

My question is, at the end of each exercise class or cycle trip, I'm obviously fairly tired and my muscles ache really bad on the 2nd day after the exercise. I'm wondering if there is a particular type of food that I should eat before and/or after my exercise (e.g. carbs, proteins, sugars, etc.) to help maximise my performance/recovery. I'm not looking for shakes and "special" drinks, just every day foods.

Do you also have any tips on how to minimise the day+1 and day+2 muscle aches?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if i don't have the 1-2 day soreness, i feel that i haven't done a proper work-out! LOL it's not an ache so bad that i can't get out of bed, but it feels as if my muscles are screaming at me that i've worked them. i LOOOOVEE that feeling!

as for foods, i typically eat a hearty meal before working-out that includes each and every food group. eggs, milk or cheese, lean meats and a fruit or veggie. after my work-out (literally as i'm leaving the locker room) i eat a protein bar with at least 20g of protein.
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Day 2 soreness... work out. You muscles ache because they aren't being used that way enough. So you do lunges and your thighs are KILLING you the next day. DO MORE LUNGES. You don't have to do a full work out, but you need to move those muscles. Also do stretching 20 minutes EVERY day.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    Interesting. I'll give the "work those muscles that hurt the most" a go, and certainly look at a protein bar for just after the workout.

But what about from a food prospective in general? Is there anything good to avoid pre- or post- a workout? What about sugars? What about energy drinks?
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Energy drinks are HORRIBLE for you. Why would you want to put that into your body?? My Dr. told me for before is carbs, foods such as pasta, fruits, and breads. And protein and carbs after.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Oh yeah... and the "work out the sore muscle" thing works. I started taking bench step aerobics in January. I had classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. My legs hurt so bad all the time. So after about 2 weeks of dealing with the same pain I started working my legs more between classes. It works.
  • TheTrimTim
    Options
    Energy drinks are so tasy though! Mmmmm... Monster. :)

I went to the Circuit Training class today and worked through the pain and it did help. Loosened my arm up somewhat. Still hurts though. It must be just a massive lactic acid build up or something like that.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Those drinks are SO bad for you!!
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had a health type class and the trainers said that lowfat chocolate milk is an excellent thing to have after a workout.
    I buy the 8 oz boxes of low fat/organic to have on hand.
  • mholmquist
    mholmquist Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would eat for breakfast a protein shake or some greek yogurt, eggs and some good carbs, and after I would recommend a glass of chocolate milk, so some more protein after to feed the muscles and also to stretch more after the class.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me - and this is only for me - I don't like to eat alot before working out. I make sure to drink lots of water before (and during) but also will have some protein/carbs before hand. If it's an early morning workout, I'll have some oatmeal, otherwise it's usually just some fruit (ie: banana, grapes, apple) There's debate over whether you should have bananas because of the sugar, but it's easy to breakdown and the potassium makes it good for you. A handful of almonds is good too. Like you, I work 9 to 4:30 and get to the gym around 5, so my late afternoon snack is also Greek Yogurt which has a ton of protein.

Post workouts, (lots of water) and I have done the chocolate milk route (but not everyday) or I love a Larabar which is good and filling and tides me over until I get home and make supper. Protein is key post workout.

I'm sure there's plenty of other great suggestions, but his is just what works for me.