Advice needed, please

Options
Need some advice: I'm visiting my mom today and she wants to get pizza tonight for dinner. My question is: do I not eat as much throughout the day in order to have a couple of slices tonight? I have already looked at the nutrition information and it's going to between 460-480 per slice (OUCH!) if she gets what I think she is going to. She doesn't know that I am trying to track calories and excersise and I know she won't understand what I'm doing. (Her philosophy of "one or two slices won't hurt" has helped me get to where I am) Would lovesome advice. I don't want to completely undo all I have so far and I'm more than a little afraid that if I let myself go even one day, I may fall back into old habits.......not really sure how to handle the situation. HELP!!

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Tough one...I would try to fit a slice in to my numbers for the day...also, could you bring a big tossed salad to share and then just eat slowly! Good luck!
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    i would eat heaps of good healthy stuff before i went, so i was super full.. then tell her you arent feeling well and just have one slice if you can manage it. personally, im not good with one, or two slices of pizza, i'd eat the whole thing lol. and if i ate really low cals to squeeze in the pizza, i'd be so hungry by the time i got there i'd eat more than i wanted to. or, tell her you had pizza yesterday and dont want it again today.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Do you LOVE pizza? I do! Are you going to eat pizza at some point in the coming years?.....If so, I'd say you should get an extra workout in to cover the calories as well as bring a salad! You could even go so far as to eat before you get to your moms that way you can have "just one slice" and still feel full/satisfied. Remember, getting healthy is a life long process!! Try not to stress it, that only makes it worse!
    Good luck!
    Sherrie
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Tough one...I would try to fit a slice in to my numbers for the day...also, could you bring a big tossed salad to share and then just eat slowly! Good luck!

^^^^

Think of eating one slice as practice in portion control.

Bringing the sald is a great idea. Make or buy a vinegrette to go with it or make a beautiful cut up vegetable tray with hummus as a dip. Even if you don't usually bring stuff, you have the Mother's Day card to explain it.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    do an extra workout so you have more calories to spare.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you're going out for pizza, do they have a salad bar, too?

Get a salad bar before the pizza comes and fill up on veggies so then you only eat a little of the pizza?
  • IL2012
    IL2012 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you would like to enjoy two slices of pizza, have the pizza, because if you deny yourself, you'll just have a tendency to eat that and then some.

The easiest way to approach this is to exercise prior to going out to allow some room for the extra calories you'll be consuming. The worst thing you can do is not eat enough. When you do that, your body begins to store fat. It's a defense mechanism.

Go for a brisk walk for 30 to 45 mins and maybe do some jumping jacks or walk up and down stairs.

Hope this helped.

Lisa
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    if u can cook at her home u can always make a healthier pizza for you to eat. get some soft tortillas, sauce, and the topping u would like such as: peppers, tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, olives, etc.

that way u can still have what u want and not feel so guilty.

Like said before don't deprive yourself as u will just end up binge eating on that item IMO. Everything in moderation or make a healthier version u will still enjoy :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I would get a good workout in, on days like you described I sometimes do 2....one in the morning, and some cardio at night. It should give you enough extra to indulge a little and stay within your calories :) I had a similar problem at my brothers engagement party...he had very good, yet unhealthy food, and I had to have a glass of champagne for a toast and what not, and managed to actully stay within my cal goal for the day with exercise, and a lighter dinner.
  • steady001
    steady001 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have this problem every time we visit the parents, as soon as you get there the biscuits, cakes and chocolates come out!!!! Great when not dieting but such a struggle at the moment. I have tried being honest and say how much I struggle but it falls on deaf ears. We now try and limit the amount of visits which is a great shame for the kids.
  • coombsy87
    coombsy87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do a good work out and enjoy the pizza!!!
  • misssephy
    misssephy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just go for a workout and then you can have it. Don't shut yourself out and make yourself miserable.
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice of all the other posters, but I just wanted to add that you shouldn't worry TOO much about the effect of one day going off track. The road to health and fitness is never a straight one, and when we're trying to un-learn 20, 30, or 40 years worth of bad habits, there will always be times when we need to readjust our strategies. Personally, I don't like the idea that I can NEVER eat another unhealthy item. It's too restrictive and it brings out my inner teenager--all rebellion and "the heck I can't!" attitude. Obviously, we can't give in to every craving, but if we plan for the extra calories or earn them back through exercise, it won't derail you forever.

As for the part where your mom won't understand, I live with my step-mom who has always lived by the "food = love" philosophy, and last year when my fiance and I started changing our eating habits, it caused some strife. However, I continually, gently (most of the time) assure her that she doesn't need to feed me in order for me to feel loved. Eventually she stopped buying me candy and donuts as a "special surprise," but it took a long time to sink in. Even a year later, she still sounds surprised when I turn down an offer of KFC for dinner or whatever. My point being, just because your mother's habits helped you get to where you are doesn't mean that you should just not talk to her about it. You might be surprised by the kinds of questions that she'll ask you about how you're doing it and so on.

Either way, good luck on your journey, and keep up the great work!:flowerforyou:
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do at dinner.

Want 2 slices? Choose some filling, low-cal foods through your day leading up to dinner can help. (Huge salad for lunch, that sort of thing.)

Want to eat pizza but not 2 pieces? Adding a huge salad without killing yourself on dressing will also help keep your portion of pizza down.

Want to pig out and eat 3? Then subtract 200 calories per day from your intake for the next six days (either exercise more or eat less or some combo).

Focus on net calories consumed at the end of a week, and your options become much broader.