losing weight faster without exercising ?

Options

Replies

• smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always found that I lose more weight when I don't exercise...
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your ED may have a big role in what is going on. depending on whether you were anorexic or bulimic, either one ruins your metabolism. I know that after 6-7 years of fighting with one, trying to loose weight the healthy is not only triggering, but it also takes time fro your body to realize that you aren't going to deprive it. Our bodies were made to survive. Survive meaning what it did for cave men, food not always being plentiful, your body stored the calories that are excess for later. When your body realizes that you aren't going to be throwing up your calories (like after a binge) or just depriving it for the next few days, you body will start letting things go (i.e. fat). It realizes that you are going to feed it frequently and it no longer needs to hoard that excess that it receives.

Also, your lifestyle could play a role, maybe 4 years ago, your hormones were different (age, different birth control, having kids), you were doing other things (like a different job), fidgeting more can even contribute to weight loss. Also, like other have said you could be building muscle, you may not notice the difference on the scale, but the difference may show in you clothes.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'd lose weight fast if i didnt lift weights or exercise.
    It all plays into glycogen and water.

Just remember, if the end result is a healthy body, dont continue on this road.

Lift weights and take walks every few days.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Age maybe? It's harder to lose weight as you get older.
  • DAGRUSSING
    DAGRUSSING Posts: 1
    Options
    Could the fact that you are four years older this time than last time have something to do with it? I find that the older I get, the slower I lose weight.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're building much of anything, let alone muscle, on 1200 a day.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    younger and healthier folks can lose weight by simply cleaning their diet, the older and out of shape you get the harder it is.
  • BadgerSensei
    BadgerSensei Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    because by exercising you gain muscle, which weighs more than fat..
    It's actually denser than fat. exchanging a pound of fat for a pound of muscle will result in visible slimming, but no weight drop.
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i'm 20.
    i think i'm going to continue exercising and eating exercise calories.
    thank you all for your help :))
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Oh yeah, it happened to me. It has happened to me in the past, too (in my teens, when I was a competitive middle-distance runner, and in my 20s when I ran just for fun but quite hard).

I got a regular running habit going last year for a few months and my weight plateaued. Furthermore, my body fat (as measured by a colleague of mine using callipers) started going up, as did my waist measurement.

I ate more but that did not reverse the trend.

I have no clue why this happened, but I have now stopped running and am walking x5 each week and doing very short sessions of HIIT x3 a week. We'll see what transpires!

Some of us may be a bit 'special' with respect to exercise and weight loss. It may be rare but you're not the only one, I assure you!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options

muscle does not weigh more than fat, however it does have less volume, so the same weight in muscle takes up less space than the same weight in fat.

You lost weight fast before because you were loosing lean muscle AND fat. When you exercise you REPLACE fat with muscle, so even though you are becoming leaner your scale may not move the same.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options

How does a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat?.....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Your ED may have a big role in what is going on. depending on whether you were anorexic or bulimic, either one ruins your metabolism. I know that after 6-7 years of fighting with one, trying to loose weight the healthy is not only triggering, but it also takes time fro your body to realize that you aren't going to deprive it. Our bodies were made to survive. Survive meaning what it did for cave men, food not always being plentiful, your body stored the calories that are excess for later. When your body realizes that you aren't going to be throwing up your calories (like after a binge) or just depriving it for the next few days, you body will start letting things go (i.e. fat). It realizes that you are going to feed it frequently and it no longer needs to hoard that excess that it receives.

Also, your lifestyle could play a role, maybe 4 years ago, your hormones were different (age, different birth control, having kids), you were doing other things (like a different job), fidgeting more can even contribute to weight loss. Also, like other have said you could be building muscle, you may not notice the difference on the scale, but the difference may show in you clothes.

This x
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat is still a pound. The muscle is less dense so you may weigh more but take up less space.
    exercise is good for the heart, body, mind and soul
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    but just a thought. i can't gain muscle on 1200 cals. so why the scale isn't moving?
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Less fluid retention
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Consider a heart rate monitor. It's often easy to overestimate how much you are actually burning through excercise and eat more than you should as a result (the old "I've walked to the cafe so I can absolutely eat this slice of double chocolate cake" routine)
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    Consider a heart rate monitor. It's often easy to overestimate how much you are actually burning through excercise and eat more than you should as a result (the old "I've walked to the cafe so I can absolutely eat this slice of double chocolate cake" routine)
    maybe in the future,now it's too expensive,i'm just a student :(
    i don't eat my exercise calories...but i was thinking to start eating them. so if i i burn according to mfp e.g. 185 cals,i'll eat 90 cals
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    Less fluid retention
    could be
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i found previously yes, i lost numbers on the scales quicker with no exercise - less water retention from muscles storing it. However, since mfp i have been exercising, now i have been eating the calories back so it doesnt matter if i exercise or not as i still net the same number but .. i have lost 2 inches in 3 weeks off my waist and hips. i am more toned already and look more stream lined. so it depends if you just want the number on the scales to reduce or the look of your body to improve and look more toned too. i have just started heavy lifting so i have lpedged to ditch the scales as i seem to weigh more post lifting - think again to do with holding water. i am using bofy fat % meaasurements every 6-8 weeks and a measuring tape and photos to compare.