Mushrooms

Options
Mallory0418
Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
I have just recently become a mushroom eater, but the only way I've come up with eating them is by making stuffed mushrooms. I find I like baby portabella more than those little button ones. I haven't been brave enough to try any other kind. What are all of your favorite ways to eat mushrooms?

Replies

• mealsformom
    Options
    This is how I saute a lb of button mushrooms:
    3 tsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp chicken flavor bullion
    ground pepper
    1 tsp white lemon cooking wine
    1 tsp sesame oil
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    I just steam an 8 oz. box of mushrooms (no need to add water) in the microwave for 3 minutes. Tastes great alone or with any other dish.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    large portabellas brushed lightly w olive oil and grilled.

any kind of mushroom sauteed in olive oil and a shot of white wine, over anything you like....
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump! love mushrooms I can eat them right outta the can!
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't stand mushrooms but I WISH I liked them as they seem to be a great low-cal, 'meaty' food!

I've seen lots of restaurants use a large fresh portobello in place of a burger. Maybe skip the bun (or just use half), grill the mushroom with some garlic oil, add fresh salsa, a little cheese, tomatoes, chilli sauce.... Making myself hungry and I don't even like mushrooms :wink:
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    chopped mushrooms
    chopped onion
    chopped peppers
    garlic
    and if you want thym or crushed black pepper
    mmmm.... with potatoe or a little rice
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    With home made fried rice, grilled with bacon and eggs, in risotto, roasted, you name it we make it.
  • agriffitts85
    agriffitts85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    the large one baked in a gravy until tender are yummy havent had those in years, but i can pop open a can of mushrooms and eat them anytime with anything, i love them by them selves or with anything, i really like them in stir fry, sauted over a steak with onions, and with onions in an omlete with cheese too... i just love the canned one
  • bdhoward87
    bdhoward87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine to be magical :devil:
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Saute the button mushrooms lightly after slicing them and add them to spaghetti sauce. Yummy.
  • workreadplay
    Options
    I love mushrooms. I mostly eat the white button and baby bellas (crimini). I'll steam them with squash/zucchini/broccoli, slice them raw in a salad, or load down my pasta with them (not a big ground beef eater, so they make a great meat substitute in spaghetti). I have plans to try using the big bella caps as substitutes for hamburger patties.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms add an unbelievably great flavor to food that I am still discovering.
    A giant portobello cap, marinated in viniagrette and grilled, with mayo, grilled red pepper and fresh basil leaves on a burger bun is delicious.
    My very favorite thing: Mushroom risotto. Arborio rice, organic chicken stock, a little wine, and some raw chopped mushrooms make an amazing taste treat. Save your daily calories for it, it's WORTH it!!
    Mushroom sauce for beef: A little butter (you don't need much!) sautee mushrooms, add flour and stir, then add stock. It is unreal. Experiment with different kinds of mushrooms. I got some fresh shiitakes today at the farmer's market and oh my goodness.

For a higher calorie treat, beef stroganoff using this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-stroganoff-iii/
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What are all of your favorite ways to eat mushrooms?

Any way but raw. I love them in pasta, on pizza, sauteed with onions on a steak, with perogies, stuffed, steamed... Mmm... and I've never had a mushroom that I didn't like.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    ilove them ANY WAY POSSIBLE. stir fried. sauteed with garlic and olive oil. stuffed. raw on salads. marinated in balsamic vinegar and oil then grilled.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love most kinds of fresh mushrooms. I absolutely hate the canned ones though - I think it's the texture. Add to pizza, salads, sauces and stirfry. Saute and add on top of meats. Chicken Marsala, mushroom soup, and portabella capp stuffed with sundried tomatoes and spinach are my favorites.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YUM, all kinds of new ideas! I'm making myself hungry now.:wink:

I don't care for the canned mushrooms, fresh is the way to go for me!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i eat em raw in my salads:D or with humus. I'm obsessed with mushrooms ahahaha
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    portabella capp stuffed with sundried tomatoes and spinach are my favorites.

and a bit of cheese too! :)
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    so this may not be the healthiest response, but you can make an awesome po' boy using oyster mushrooms. if you coat them in a little flour, old bay and some corn meal, fry em up, and put them on a roll with lettuce tomato and spicy mayo - yum!

we also like making a quesadilla with mixed mushrooms. just put them in a pan with some taco seasonings red pepper and onion and then put them in a whole wheat tortilla.
  • ms_sparky
    ms_sparky Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mushroom Skewers Recipe

makes 4 servings

1/2 tablespoon harissa (a Moroccan Red Pepper Sauce)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, halved lengthwise

Whisk the harissa, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and oregano together in a medium bowl.

Add the halved mushrooms and toss well to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or Preheat the grill, if grilling.

Thread the mushrooms onto presoaked bamboo skewers. Roast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or grill them, 5 minutes per side.