Pre and post workout nutrition

Options
I've been getting mixed advice from two nutrition professionals regarding what to eat pre and post workout. One told me to drink a protein shake before working out and then have oatmeal and egg whites after. The other told me to have oatmeal before and yogurt after. I'm interested to know what you all eat, when you eat it, and why.

I wake up at 5:00 am and workout at 6:00 am for an hour. 5 days a week I do mostly cardio (spinning, running, and elliptical) and the other two days I take full body strength classes. Any pre and post nutrition advice would be really helpful.

Replies

• anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me - and this is only for me - I don't like to eat alot before working out Of course I hydrate like mad before during and after with lots of water, but I'll also have some protein/carbs before hand. On my cardio/interval training days and if it's an early morning workout, I'll have some oatmeal, otherwise it's usually just some fruit (ie: banana, grapes, apple) There's debate over whether you should have bananas because of the sugar, but it's easy to breakdown and the potassium makes it good for you. A handful of almonds is good too.

If I'm going to the gym after work which is around 5:00pm then my late afternoon snack will be Greek Yogurt which has a ton of protein.

Post workouts, I have done the chocolate milk route (but not everyday) or I love a Larabar which is good and filling and tides me over until I get home and make supper. Protein is key post workout.

I'm sure there's plenty of other great suggestions, but his is just what works for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nutritional timing is of no consequence. If you are working out early, and I do a simolar schedule, a little carbs to get started, like maybe a banana, will give you a little energy for your workout. As for the rest, as long as you get adequte nutrition and hit your macros, it doesn't matter. I personally, have a protein shake right after workout but that's just because I like to. After a workout I like a little hydration and I'm hungry!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out within 30 - 45 minutes of waking up, as I do most days, I don't eat anything before workouts. If it's a bit longer, I might have a slice of toast with almond butter. If it's a couple hours before a workout, especially if I'm running, I'll have oatmeal with fruit, walnuts, a bit of greek yogurt and honey drizzled over it all.

After workouts I often have a glass of chocolate milk right away (especially if it was the early workout with no food prior), then take my kid to school, then eat eggs & toast when I get back.

It works for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You really don't have to have either. It's mostly a personal preference. While there is some evidence that eating before can lead to more fat usage at rest, the amount was very minimal. And post workout "windows" do help with muscle building, but normally you have to be in surplus to do it.
    Overall meet your macro/micronutrient RDA's and you should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Echoing the other comments, if you're stomach can handle it, eating something small and carb based to break your body out of the overnight fasting mode it's been in while sleeping can be good but is not necessary. A cardio workout an hour or less for most people will be fueled almost entirely by the glycogen stored in your muscles (which would be a max capacity right after a good night of sleep). After your workout a combination of carbs and protein is good. Carbs as fuel to replenish your glycogen stores and protein to help build / repair muscle fiber after your workout. No need to eat immediately after your workout, like some people I see at my gym pounding a protein shake as they leave the locker room. Pretty soon after could be important depending on how depleted of energy you are; your body can and will burn muscle along with fat for energy if you don't give it a good fuel source.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've been getting mixed advice from two nutrition professionals regarding what to eat pre and post workout. One told me to drink a protein shake before working out and then have oatmeal and egg whites after. The other told me to have oatmeal before and yogurt after. I'm interested to know what you all eat, when you eat it, and why.

I wake up at 5:00 am and workout at 6:00 am for an hour. 5 days a week I do mostly cardio (spinning, running, and elliptical) and the other two days I take full body strength classes. Any pre and post nutrition advice would be really helpful.

Assuming you aren't performing multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events (you probably don't), you can base your pre and post workout nutrition on personal preference.

So, I'd encourage you to relax about it, and by all means experiment with it. In terms of body composition, it's not going to make a difference so you're best off doing what you enjoy and/or what gives you the best performance.
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    It doesn't really matter.
    Both of them are correct in their own way.
  • eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    I strongly believe in packing on more carbs before a workout, because that's what fuels your body! So if I had a choice, I'd choose the oatmeal and yogurt first (always pair a carb with a protein), do my cardio/weight training, then the protein shake to help build back the muscle I tore. I believe that's the way it's supposed to be. At least i hope so, I guess I'll find out when I begin studying nutrition in college!
  • RecklessRascal
    Options
    Complex carbs+Protein before your workout.
    The amino acids help the muscles maintain an anabolic state instead of catabolic.
    Complex carbs provide a steady source of energy through the workout.

After your workout you mix simple carbs+lean protein. AVOID FAT!!!!
    The simple carbs spike your insulin and "shuttle" the protein into the muscles for maximum growth.
    This is the one and only time you should allow yourself to eat simple carbs if you are trying to burn fat.

Through research and experience, these are all facts I can vogue for!!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Are you saying that post workout meals don't help with growth? If you are, i do kind of agree... but just wondering, I think in the end total calories is what really matters.

Post workout meals do help with growth but it doesn't need to be within the first 30 minutes like the protein companies would like you to believe. You're looking at much longer time period and additionally, in most cases whatever you've eaten for a pre-workout meal will still be releasing amino acids into your bloodstream post workout which would basically negate any need to rush home and slam dat dere shake.

Basically, unless you're doing some sort of goofy-*kitten* meal plan where you eat every third day, I wouldn't worry one bit about nutrient timing specifically for trying to "remain anabolic".
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Both pre and post workout meals / supps / etc is all personal preference.

You can eat a meal before. You can eat a meal after. You can eat a meal 4 hours later. Doesn't matter.

The purpose of a pre-workout is to give you an added energy boost going into your training routine. A simple cup of coffee is fine if you need energy.

As far as post-workout, the anabolic window lasts 24 hours so the entire thought of having a certain amount of time to eat right after you train is a load of crap. Doesn't matter.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Are you saying that post workout meals don't help with growth? If you are, i do kind of agree... but just wondering, I think in the end total calories is what really matters.

Post workout meals do help with growth but it doesn't need to be within the first 30 minutes like the protein companies would like you to believe. You're looking at much longer time period and additionally, in most cases whatever you've eaten for a pre-workout meal will still be releasing amino acids into your bloodstream post workout which would basically negate any need to rush home and slam dat dere shake.

Basically, unless you're doing some sort of goofy-*kitten* meal plan where you eat every third day, I wouldn't worry one bit about nutrient timing specifically for trying to "remain anabolic".
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing

The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

- Alan Aragon
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to do some myth-busting? My trainer told me not to eat solid food/complex carbs less than 2 hours before a workout, because the body concentrates effort into the stomach/digestive system, and therefore doesn't work as hard at burning calories or whatever. I don't know if I buy that.

Personally though, I don't like eating solid-food meals before my morning workouts because I hate feeling the food in my tum while working out. My favourite pre-workout meal is a serving of plain greek yogurt mixed with fresh fruit and a bit of agave, usually blended with some ice. I get my protein and some carbs, enough to fuel an hour workout without feeling all full and groggy.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    I strongly believe in packing on more carbs before a workout, because that's what fuels your body! So if I had a choice, I'd choose the oatmeal and yogurt first (always pair a carb with a protein), do my cardio/weight training, then the protein shake to help build back the muscle I tore. I believe that's the way it's supposed to be. At least i hope so, I guess I'll find out when I begin studying nutrition in college!

just so you know, carbs trigger the parasympathetic nervous system, which make people groggy and tired.

Carbs barely have an effect on your ANS... unless you eat a ton of them. In this case carbs eaten before exercise will be converted to energy for the workout.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Anyone want to do some myth-busting? My trainer told me not to eat solid food/complex carbs less than 2 hours before a workout, because the body concentrates effort into the stomach/digestive system, and therefore doesn't work as hard at burning calories or whatever. I don't know if I buy that.

That makes zero sense to me and sounds like a bunch of trainer-made-up-myth-crap but since I can't understand it, I can't comment. I'd ask instead what evidence he has towards his point.
    Personally though, I don't like eating solid-food meals before my morning workouts because I hate feeling the food in my tum while working out. My favourite pre-workout meal is a serving of plain greek yogurt mixed with fresh fruit and a bit of agave, usually blended with some ice. I get my protein and some carbs, enough to fuel an hour workout without feeling all full and groggy.

If you've found something that works for you, I'd stick with it!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

just so you know, carbs trigger the parasympathetic nervous system, which make people groggy and tired.

Carbs barely have an effect on your ANS... unless you eat a ton of them. In this case carbs eaten before exercise will be converted to energy for the workout.

Wouldn't previously existing muscle glycogen be fueling the workout and the carbs that were eating pre-workout would (eventually) replenish the glycogen that was depleted during the training bout?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Alan aragon is an idiot, despite my previous comment, i do believe this to be true.

You're a fool.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs+Protein before your workout.
    The amino acids help the muscles maintain an anabolic state instead of catabolic.
    Complex carbs provide a steady source of energy through the workout.

After your workout you mix simple carbs+lean protein. AVOID FAT!!!!
    The simple carbs spike your insulin and "shuttle" the protein into the muscles for maximum growth.
    This is the one and only time you should allow yourself to eat simple carbs if you are trying to burn fat.

Through research and experience, these are all facts I can vogue for!!!!

THIS!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Alan aragon is an idiot, despite my previous comment, i do believe this to be true.

You're a fool.

you should be nice sidesteel, and... that entire topic he wrote on lustig is BS.

That entire topic he wrote on Lustig was accurate.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing

The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

- Alan Aragon

No offense bro but this is one of the reasons why I deliberately removed you. Comments like this just reinforce it.