How much weight can you lose during sleep

Just out of curiosity I weighed myself just before I went to bed last night. This morning I weighed myself again. I was expecting to see some loss for obvious reasons - but not 1.6 lbs. Is that sort of difference usual?
Note: I used the bathroom a couple of times before 2nd weigh in.

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    You can vary up to several pounds a day based on water retention and various other things.

Remember that while you sleep, your body is repairing itself. That takes energy and you aren't eating while you're asleep, so it's pulling the energy from somewhere.
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 72 Member
    I weigh about 160 and typically "lose" 1.5-2 lbs overnight.
  • ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    I've been weighing myself every day first thing in the morning and last thing at night for the last two and a half months (in fact today is the last day before I go back to weekly weigh-ins) I was just interested to see the daily and weekly fluctuations.

Anyway, my smallest overnight loss was 0.6 pounds and my biggest was 3.2. It averaged out at 1.95 pounds per night. My daytime gain averaged at 1.59 pounds per day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Depends how much you pee.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Or poo. There was a lady in the forum who dropped a 3 lb klinker. For me it's usually a 1-3 lb difference.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I can go down up to about 3-4 lbs after my morning poo and pee from the night before. It's all water weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Or poo. There was a lady in the forum who dropped a 3 lb klinker. For me it's usually a 1-3 lb difference.

Saw that thread....I wince just thinking about it.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Keep your heating on over night and you will lose even more. (albeit water weight)
  • Krittyteen
    Krittyteen Posts: 3
    Never weigh yourself just before you go to bed or at night. You have been eating throughout the day and had a lot of water (this ultimately effects your weight by a fair bit). Always weigh yourself in the morning straight away if you want an accurate result.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Interesting replies... thanks folks, seems like 1.6lbs is a fairly average amount to lose then during the night. More than I would have guessed it at - learn something new everyday 'n all that :)
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    i usually loose 1.5 to 4 lbs from my evening weight to my morning weight. I assume it depends on water weight but I'm not sure.