Weight Loss Resistant?

Options
Kindone
Kindone Posts: 138 Member
I would like to hear from other people who have/are experiencing weight loss resistance. I am finding every single ounce a huge fight.. and even seeing a gain on the scale when I am working so hard. I am pre-menopausal at 46.. I am under five feet tall and I have had three kids. I need to lose around 50 or more pounds and I cannot seem to lose anything. I haven't been very physically active as I have been battling .. something.. chronic fatigue? Not sure. In the past, i have been very active and loved working out. I feel like a huge failure and getting anywhere near my goal feels insurmountable to me. I would love to hear from anyone in any of the categories I have listed particularly those who have found ways to push past this and succeed. I really really would love to read your stories, see your success pictures, and get any kind of motivation and encouragement you can offer.

Thank you so much, S

Replies

• FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    After I lost 20 pounds I hit a wall, and gained a few pounds back and kicked myself in the head for a while. Then I saw in my newsline, someone commenting on one of my friends' food diaries that her salt intake looked high. I looked, and was surprised that it was only about 1500mg, when I know on my own diary I'm allowed 2500. Then I realized, hey, maybe that's what my problem is!

I rewrote my diet so I only get between 800-1000 mg of sodium a day. If I can get it lower, that's a plus.

I make sure to either get my protein with 0 remaining or 10 over my "limit".

I don't have a personal goal for fat, I just try to keep it as low as I can.

I made a list of all of my most common foods and put them in order from lowest to highest protein, then picked out a daily requirement to get me the protein I wanted, but when I picked things out I also made sure to keep sodium in mind. 100mg is pushing it, and 200 is my limit on a single food.

After I did that, I just guzzled water for the rest of the day, and sure 'nuff, the very next day all my water weight was gone (5 pounds worth) and I'd lost a pound off my last recorded low!

It's not always about activity!
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi check your carb amount - if you are doing everything right and still not losing - it could be thyroid if you are tired - get it checked and also insulin resistance can make it hard for weight to shift. If you reduce white carbs and stick to clean foods and keep carbs down it might give you the boost you need. I only have to look at a white slice of bread and I put on 2lb!!:smile:
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had been stuck at the same weight for about a year. I tracked everything, worked out 6 days a week, etc. Like you, I was always tired, which didn't make sense because I get 7-8 hours of sleep everyday. I also started having terrible headaches. I was considering going in to get my thyroid checked, when I read about people upping their calories.

Until MFP, I had never even thought about net calories, just total. So for the past year, with my workouts, I was constantly netting less than 1200-1500 calories a day (some days as low as 500-yikes!). I now eat between 2000-2500 (which surprisingly has been a challenge) but I am starting to make some progress. I'm no longer tired all the time and my headaches are gone :)

It is still difficult for me to grasp the concept of having to eat more, but I have to say it is nice and it might be something you should take into account.

Good luck!
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I am trying to do lo carb and I know my carbs are too high for that. I do eat a lot of salt, and the net calories thing really really confuses me. I really cannot tell if I should be eating more calories or less.

I think this week I am going to work on increasing water and activity. Reducing salt scares me!

I look forward to hearing more advice. Thank you.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. it always helps me if I up my protein with a powder, drink more water and do a little light resistance training. If I just diet I simply end up with the same proportion of body fat just smaller. You look good though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!