I'd Rather DIE Than Give Up...

Options
I LOVE CHEESE! But I'm finding that as I grow older, I'm becoming more lactose intolerant.

Suggestions anyone? I'd almost rather die than give up cheese. (and BACON)

What can you not live without?

Replies

• AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd rather die than give up ice cream during the summer!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    coffee. I'd never give it up.
    But I won't DIE over it...I would just look like the walking dead...
    I know you're not meaning literally but he only thing I would LITERALLY die over is my children.
  • tsimmsva
    tsimmsva Posts: 49
    Options
    I'd rather die than give up.....
    My international Cinnabon coffee creamer
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Mayonaisse...but I eat alot less since I've been eating less of the things you put it on (burgers,hotdogs), same for cheese. I only eat it in my tuna sandwiches now.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try non-dairy cheese alternatives like the Daiya brand.

I love cheese as well but after having a bout where I could consume nothing but Gatorade and soy milk for about a week, and a subsequent month of taking both Prilosec and Zantac as prescribed by my doctor, I have stopped all dairy intake. (I never had to take them before and probably only ever took Tums a dozen times in my life.) I used to be able to eat everything and anything with no issues.

I also stopped drinking coffee.

At the time, I also had to stop eating tomatoes, onions and other acidic foods.

I can eat a few tomatoes and onions now but still don't drink coffee (I've had two tall soy decaf lattes in the past four months) and I am doing much better now but I'm still having to be more careful than I ever had to do before. I NEVER had problems like that. Hopefully, I never will again.

Luckily, there are great substitutions these days for just about everything.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Try non-dairy cheese alternatives like the Daiya brand.

I love cheese as well but after having a bout where I could consume nothing but Gatorade and soy milk for about a week, and a subsequent month of taking both Prilosec and Zantac as prescribed by my doctor, I have stopped all dairy intake. (I never had to take them before and probably only ever took Tums a dozen times in my life.) I used to be able to eat everything and anything with no issues.

I also stopped drinking coffee.

At the time, I also had to stop eating tomatoes, onions and other acidic foods.

I can eat a few tomatoes and onions now but still don't drink coffee (I've had two tall soy decaf lattes in the past four months) and I am doing much better now but I'm still having to be more careful than I ever had to do before. I NEVER had problems like that. Hopefully, I never will again.

Luckily, there are great substitutions these days for just about everything.

Thanks tabulator32
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Emmenthal, provola and Parmesan have a very little % of lactose so you can eat them :)

personally, I really can't give up ice cream and chocolate!! Though I eat them only once a week!
  • alyblue
    alyblue Posts: 20
    Options
    cereal and peanut butter.... i feel so screwed losing weight loving these foods lol.
  • flowerpower263
    flowerpower263 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My starbucks coffee with half & half, i am a zombie without my coffee!!
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I won't give up green curry chicken. It's my must have, once every two months.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CHEESE! But I'm finding that as I grow older, I'm becoming more lactose intolerant.

My husband is pretty lactose intolerant, but he is able to eat mozzarella & Parmesan without issue. He can also eat yogurt, so plain Greek yogurt has taken the place of any and all sour cream at our house. For ice cream he likes the So Delicious coconut milk varieties - he says they are way better than the soy stuff out there.

It's a bummer to have to stop eating something you love because your body doesn't tolerate it any longer! I feel bad for those of you who have to deal with that. I am glad to see more and more good substitutes, like the coconut milk treats - I hated feeling guilty for having a scoop of ice cream in front of the hubs!
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I could give up anything really.
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Coffee and peanut butter. Make life worth living!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

My husband is pretty lactose intolerant, but he is able to eat mozzarella & Parmesan without issue. He can also eat yogurt, so plain Greek yogurt has taken the place of any and all sour cream at our house. For ice cream he likes the So Delicious coconut milk varieties - he says they are way better than the soy stuff out there.

It's a bummer to have to stop eating something you love because your body doesn't tolerate it any longer! I feel bad for those of you who have to deal with that. I am glad to see more and more good substitutes, like the coconut milk treats - I hated feeling guilty for having a scoop of ice cream in front of the hubs!

You are my new favorite person-- I will test those out. I was realizing yesterday that some of my dairy-related symptoms are back (since I love cheese too) and that I need to start cutting it out again. Maybe after I eliminate it for awhile I will try rotating those in.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    NOTHING! I love my life too much!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I would die for. But there are a couple things I would happily stay fat for...

Coffee and Booze
  • thaphatdiva
    thaphatdiva Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Me without coffee is NOT a pretty sight...
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    sex with attractive women (physically or personality wise).....
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Mayonaisse...but I eat alot less since I've been eating less of the things you put it on (burgers,hotdogs), same for cheese. I only eat it in my tuna sandwiches now.

Hellmans Low Fat is great. My boyfriend didn't even notice the switch...1 Tbsp - 15 calories, 1g fat, ply fat .5, 0 chol., 130 sodium, 2g carb,0 sugar and protien. If my picky boyfriend didn't notice, you might really like it :)
  • jkpugh7
    jkpugh7 Posts: 12
    Options
    my grandma's spaghetti. completely homemade sauce. tomatoes she canned herself, bay leaves, beef or deer burger, mushrooms, cooks almost all day... mmmmmm :)