Not related to weight but Sunburn help!

Options
Ok so I went on a 5 hour hike today with my friend and wasn't expecting to be out that long (at most like an hour) and got sunburn because I forgot sunscreen which isn't good for my fair skin. LOL. I ran out of aloe last summer and can't go down to the store anytime soon. Does anybody know any tricks that will help?

Replies

• JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sliced tomato, rub it on the burn...
    Seriously helps the sting of the burn.
    I (also fair) learnt this trick when living in South Africa and my then boyfriend's mom did this to sooth my terrible burn.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have heard that vinegar presses will help.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Natural yoghurt works well
  • hellamark
    hellamark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Aspirin - recommended dose
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Here's a link for an oatmeal concoction you can put in your cool water bath and soak which really helps. http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-sunburn-soother-69549.

Also this sounds weird but rubbing alcohol, sprayed on the burn area or apply onto a washcloth and soak burned area helps relieve the burning feeling.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Advil and hydrocortisone cream... helps reduce inflammation
  • amyliz12
    amyliz12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Aloe vera plant.
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have heard that vinegar presses will help.

I did this last year. I had horrific sunburn on my legs - seriously, they were crispy - and I used apple cider vinegar on a soft cloth and I just let it sit on my legs for about 20 minutes at a time, several times a day. Feels weird at first but it eventually starts cooling and the redness starts going away. You may temporarily smell a little like salad dressing (at least according to my husband), but it's well worth it.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Find a product called sloarcaine and slather it on the sun burned area. It works well.
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    egg whites can also help, dont know what you happen to have on hand
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    All of these things are good, but my favorite thing to help a sunburn is to take a cool shower for as long as I can stand it, and then do the vinegar or whatever. It will take the heat out quickly.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If it's really really bad, go to the emergency department or your family doctor. Blisters shouldn't be broken, they are a natural "bandaid" and the fluid helps the area heal. The burn can get infected, so watch it carefully. The doctor may prescribe silvadene ointment, it's great. It's not available OTC. PS, this advice is from a retired ED nurse!!! Good luck, take OTC anti-inflammatory advil as directed. Remember, this is NOT MD advice, just experience.
  • avaloneternal
    avaloneternal Posts: 216
    Options
    Black Tea Bags!!!! (Not hot of course)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Noxema skin cream/cleanser. The stuff in the blue tub. slather on a thick layer and just let it sit. It has menthol in it which will lower skin temperature on contact ( that is why it feels cold EVERY time you put it on), and your skin will absorb all the moisture in the cream and leave a thick protective layer on top of your skin.
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used coconut oil after getting too much sun in St. John. Mine was better the next day but my husband who didn't use it was not. It wasn't a severe blister sunburn but the worst I'd had in years.
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    make some tea, let it completely cool. soak a washcloth and place on the burned areas, the tannin in the tea helps. or just make a really REALLY strong pot, and once it's stepped, pour it in a cool bathtub and just soak.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Apple Cider Vinegar - you can put it in a spray body and mist yourself when it starts to burn. Using a spray bottle is nice because you don't have to touch your skin to apply.
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Black Tea Bags!!!! (Not hot of course)

^^This. I sit in a cool bath of black tea and then press cool, damp black tea bags on the worst spots.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    When you can get to the store, get some solarcaine. I swear by that stuff! Also, for the future, up your dose of Vitamin D3. I am very fair skinned and prone to sunburn, but burn less when my D3 is high :)
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you have it Lavender Oil will help heal faster.