Free Weights

Options
Beezil
Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
Hi everyone. :) I am thinking about investing in some free weights and maybe a bench for my birthday coming up soon. I'm not really sure what the best way to go about it is since I know next to nothing about weight lifting. I've been using resistance bands for almost a year, so I'm ready to move on to something more challenging and different.

I just have a few questions for those who do lift. What kind of weight should I start out with? I have 2 small 10lb weights already which I've never really used. I want something heavier than that, obviously. But, should I go with just dumbbells to start out with or should I get a bench and a bar and all that too? Is there any specific brand I should go for? Anything in particular I should watch out for or be aware of? Any input at all on this would be really helpful! :flowerforyou:

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are cheap and versatile. We have a set of 10's, 20's, and 30's at home that we can do quite a bit with. If you have room for a bench, then you'd be in pretty good shape for a good starter kit. You can always upgrade later to different equipment if you feel like you need a bar and plates.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Save the money and get a commercial gym membership. This should run you around 30 bucks a month. Weights are expensive as hell yeh, and they take up too much space if you ask me.

I suggest getting a few sessions with a knowledgeable personal trainer to take you through the basic exercises also. Notice I said "knowledgeable." If you're not keen on that idea, most if not all of the exercises you can do with resistance bands can be replicated or slightly modified with free weights. Go slow, keep it safe, don't be afraid to ask questions either.

If you do decide on purchasing your own, places like Walmart or Sports Authority are your best bet. For a full set that takes up the least amount of space, look into purchasing a selectorized set online. Hope this helps yeh. PM me if you have more questions yeh. Cheers
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I have both the gym membership and the weights/bench/bar at home. Honestly, we've had them so long I don't remember what they cost, but what my husband and I did was invest in the full bench, so we can do presses, legs and lats. Then we bought weights. It came with 3 bars, dumbell bars and a multitude of plates. In addition, I have 3 pound and 5 pound free weights. I still use the 5 pound weights occassionally, but mostly I use the plates.

If I'm honest, I use the weights at home more frequently than I do the membership. I know it's ridiculous but I am very self-conscious going to the gym and working out in weights area, and the machines are very crowded when I am there so I get quite frustrated. At home, I work out when I want, my husband is there to spot me and, well it just works for me.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with weights at home. I use the gym membership. I never ventured into "Testosterone Zone" until I went with my trainer. Now I hold my own in there and I realize that the guys will help or spot if I ask. It's actually funny, because you typically find a few newbies in there who have no idea what they are doing. Watch out or they might drop a weight on your toe :).
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    I went to Play It Again Sports and picked up used dumbell bars and plates pretty cheap. I can add individual weights as I need. I just used the bar alone when I was rehabbing a shoulder after rotator cuff surgery. I also have a gym membership to do the heavy lifting stuff and legs.
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    My husband had the whole bench, bar, plates, squatting thingy, dumbells, the works - before he met me! He sold it so we could move to England (which never happened, I decided to stay here) and now we don't have space for all that anyway, and we figured the investment cost would be FAR more than our gym membership for even a year ($15/month each), and at the gym we have access to weights and the cardio machines too.

One day when we have a full basement again, I'd love a personal gym at home, but for now we're going for the cheaper option.

And if you're doing squats my husband suggests a 'manta ray' but I don't know what one is! I think it sits on your shoulders and disperses the pressure of the bar across more evenly, so you get the same workout with less unnecessary pain :)
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've seen many suggest the gym, which is a great idea if it works with your schedule. My workout is 5AM in my basement due to work/commute/dropping and picking up kids from school.

For a female I think you could get by with adding a set of 5 lbs and a set of 15 or 20 lb dumbells as a start.

Heavy for the upright rows, lawnmowers, possibly shoulder presses, dumbbell bench press (which you can do laying on the floor) squats (your big muscle groups)
    Your 10s should be good for curls, triceps, some flys
    A light set of 5s is useful if you are doing sets until fatigue and want to get some more reps. Some days I can't complete all my curls or flys with 10s without resorting to poor form.

There are dumbbell sets that are adjustable as well and may be a better deal.
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    I lift three days a week at the gym and I love it because there are people around to help spot if you need it. I was really intimidated when I first started going to the boy section of the gym, but man have I had mighty fine spotters before, just as an added bonus:-). But I guess what is more important is where you will actually workout. If you do better at home, then go for it, however If you are not currently lifting, you may want to try the gym to see if you like lifting before investing in weights. If you decide to go with the home thing, try Craigslist I see people selling equipment all the time sometimes at great deals. If you want a new set, I think Walmart has good deals (even though I avoid the place, I know some people that have gotten good deals on weights there). Good luck sweetheart, you will do great with lifting, probably the best exercise I have done to change my body composition thus far. Make sure you have a good program and lift heavy, but get your form down first, then increase weight.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would always say buy a set of dumbbell grips and a barbell with the same thickness, so you can just buy plates as you need them to increase the weight.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    "expensive as hell?"

I got a 300 lb olympic barbell set for $150 NEW at Sears. Deals like that pop up all the time. If you troll Craigslist, you can get stuff even cheaper than that.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I would go to a used sporting goods store like Play It Again Sports & get some opinions from them b/c they don't get paid on commision so they might be able to direct you to what you need that is a good fit & a good price too...Don't just order something online blind without knowing first what you need....Even just a regular sporting goods shop, just ask questions & you will figure it out...HTH!! Good luck! :)
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Play it again sports, craigslist, or just by new online. I would suggest purchasing a good FID Bench and set of adjustable dumbbells.

I work out at home and lift by myself, so I have a power rack (from Amazon), olympic weight set (****'s), FID bench (Ironmaster). My whole setup cost me about $900.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Bump