In tears...

Options
I don't know where to start...I just know I need some help. I can't figure out why I'm not seeing any progress!

I stared a fitness/healthy living support group back in March. I promptly became ill and wasn't able to participate but still went to the meetings to just sit and be supportive, if I was able. On April 1st I did my first weigh-in, finally, and started to eat and exercise. My problem was always that I led a pretty sedentary lifestyle and I didn't eat, sometimes for days, and then binged on junk. So I started filling my fridge and cupboards full of healthy food items and made a point of eating at least 3 balanced meals a day. I increased my water intake and started exercising. Now I will admit, I have had bad days, the same as everyone else, but most have been good. Shouldn't I see some progress by now?! Instead, I've actually GAINED since my first weigh-in. It's maddening! Can someone help me figure out what I might be doing wrong?

Oh, and before you look at my diary, just know that there are days that aren't filled in because I wasn't home, and I have ADD and simply forget sometimes, but most of my days are the same.

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    The full days on your diary look good! I think it could be because you've changed your eating habits. As you said before, you wouldn't eat regularly for days then you would binge. Now you are getting a level amount of calories, and your body may take some time to adjust. It seems like you're doing the right things, you may just need to give it some more time!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    ^ what shauna said.

Also, if you make sure to weigh all your foods and measure all your liquids you will be certain how much you are eating. Drink lots of water, and be patient. You can flucuate as much as five pounds in a day due to water shifts.

• aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    all right here it is. YOu may be eating too much sugar. change out your fiber counter for a sugar counter. unless you have a reason to keep up with fiber as you eat better your fiber will go up, so you are wasting that tally space.

Next, set your percentages to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

the fat you will be adding to your diet will be "repeat after me" nuts, dairy, unprocessed oils, lean meats to include fish.

Your carbs should be as fresh as possible, fruit and veggies, which you seem to have gotten the hang of.

your protein will fall into place when you eat your fat.

Now the sugar that you added to watch, I have mine set to 10. It seems quite low, But the reason I do this is so I can pay attention to the processed sugar that I eat. You will be quite amazed at the amount of sugar in things.

Finally if you are not actually measuring your foods you could be underestimating. ANd use a HRM to get cals burned.

If you want to burn out the sugar to get you going try limiting your /carbs to just 3 serving for a day or 2, I found just one day works fine as well. You should see some changes soon, Good Luck, We are here for you!
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    all right here it is. YOu may be eating too much sugar. change out your fiber counter for a sugar counter. unless you have a reason to keep up with fiber as you eat better your fiber will go up, so you are wasting that tally space.

the fat you will be adding to your diet will be "repeat after me" nuts, dairy, unprocessed oils, lean meats to include fish.

Your carbs should be as fresh as possible, fruit and veggies, which you seem to have gotten the hang of.

Now the sugar that you added to watch, I have mine set to 10. It seems quite low, But the reason I do this is so I can pay attention to the processed sugar that I eat. You will be quite amazed at the amount of sugar in things.

Finally if you are not actually measuring your foods you could be underestimating. ANd use a HRM to get cals burned.

If you want to burn out the sugar to get you going try limiting your /carbs to just 3 serving for a day or 2, I found just one day works fine as well. You should see some changes soon, Good Luck, We are here for you!

I went back and changed my settings and at a cursory glance I am going over my sugar daily, but most of it is natural.
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options

[/quote

How do you change your percentages?
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Pictures and measurements..

I found that I will lose lots of inches and the scale won't have moved at all!!!

This has happened to a lot of people and is completely normal...

So don't panic, you may be getting slimmer and the scale isn't showing it.

Remember muscle takes up less space then fat so try some measurements, keep pushing through... You've got this!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    When you do not eat your body goes into starvation mode, then when you eat your body stores it, to save it for the days you do not eat. ( I did this for years and everything I ate went to fat storage)
    You have to balance it out and once your body goes into starvation mode it is very, very hard to stop it
    But know this stay on track and the weight will come off!
    Good luck
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of sugar, and a lot of high-glycemic foods... these spike your blood sugar, which raises insulin, which makes your body store fat.

Drop the cinnamon roll bagels out of your life. Rely on lean protein, healthy fats, and low GI vegetables and fruit.

Check out the group Eat More Weigh Less, and find out your BMR and your TDEE. Eat MORE than your BMR daily, and a little less than your TDEE.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If you weren't eating for days at a time before, your metabolism may just need time to adjust. I know its hard but be patient! X
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    a bit more protein each day perhaps - try to hit that goal and undershoot the carbs goal if anything.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    How do you change your percentages?

Under "My Home" there is a sub-tab called "Goals". Click on it. Select the "Custom" option and you'll be able to change percentages.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely normal. Going days without eating, and when you do eat not giving your body the nutrition it needs, results in atrophy (however mild).

Your body is reversing that, and your metabolism reworking itself. Keep on with your eating and exercise habits and eventually, you'll see results.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Measure your waist. Stop fixating on your weight. Hip to waist ratio is much more important than weight for both general health and appearance.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said try to add more lean protein and less carbs/sugars. Little changes and try not to stress; I know it's frustrating but you're making long-term changes for a healthier lifestyle, so it may take some time :flowerforyou: