Calorie help - too little? But I feel FULL.

Options
Due to a metabolic condition, I HAVE to eat low carb and no sugar. This is the way it has to be for me. I've been bashed for low carb in the past, so I'm just asking for no criticism right now. I have a serious question. This is a diet my Dr has put me on for a very specific reason.

Once I ditched the sugar and the refined carbs, I am no longer hungry. The binges have TOTALLY and completely disappeared (this blows my mind!! - I struggled with them for years and even sought a therapist for help and it did not help) I have found that I also eat until I am satisfied and comfortable, where as before, I ate until I was physically sick. Again, mind blowing for me, to have a healthy relationship with food for the last two months. Just getting rid of the binging and over eating has been the biggest stress relief and blessing for me.

I never thought I would be the one to say this, BUT, I am not getting enough calories. I will be honest, so I can get some answers, I weight 295lbs. I have lost 20lbs in 2 months. My calorie allotment on MFP is around 1600 (I think 1640?) but I have noticed over the last few weeks, I can't manage to get that in. I've come close, but that was HARD. Since I eat a lot of proteins and veggies, I am completely full, completely satisfied and I am not hungry anymore (serious shocker for me!) and recently I find that I am sometimes under 1000 cals per day or just over 1000 cals per day. This is NOT intentional at all. I am recording EVERY BITE, LICK & TASTE. For a while I was trying to eat every 2-3 hours to keep the furnace burning, but I wasn't hungry, so I started drinking a protein shake at lunch instead and then I would end up eating an early dinner (lean meats and veggies) until satisfied. I always, always, always eat B"fast and it's pretty large in the amount of protein (Almost always eggs with either bacon or Morning star farms sausage patties (soy/vegetarian).

I keep reading that eating too low calories is harmful (per my Dr's orders, I am taking vitamins, plus extra minerals that my body was already low on) so I feel that I'm not falling behind on nutrients (but maybe I am?) and then I read articles that say that starvation mode is not as big of a deal as long as you cycle your calories up and down and keep your metabolism guessing and I think my calorie range bumps up and down enough to get a good mix.

Bottom line - I am not hungry. At all. If I am satisfied and feel full, am I getting enough? Because honestly, there are some days I can't get much more in. I know that sound ridiculous, but the healthier food sticks around longer, is more satifying and my blood sugar is obviously not swinging wildly.

On the days I don't have a protein shake at lunch, I usually eat a lean protein & either a big salad or some cut up veggies (Red pepper slices are my favorite)

Sorry, I rambled a lot.

I would love some information. I had hit a plateau for 3 weeks and once the calories went lower, all of the sudden I am dropping lbs.

ETA: The days I exercise, it's much easier to add more calories in.... but I've been sick all week and unable to exercise...

Replies

• dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It would help if you opened your food diary so people can get an idea of what you're eating during the day.
  • email4jenp
    email4jenp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    oops! Didn't realize it was closed. Off to open now.
  • email4jenp
    Options
    Okay, it's open now. it was set to "Friends".
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind are fats and more calorie dense foods like avocado, fat fish like mackerel and salmon. Do you have any restrictions when it comes to that?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble meeting your calorie goals, switch some foods from low fat to full fat. Or add in some good fats like avocados. Honestly, if you're feeling full then I wouldn't worry about it! I don't think you should have to stuff yourself to get your calories in. And it sounds like you're under a doctor's care so if he's not concerned, then I wouldn't worry either!
  • email4jenp
    Options
    Not all of my days are in the diary, but skip through and you'll see full days (But my meals are usually consistant with what is already posted on my full diary days)

I do not have any restrictions on things like avocados (thankfully, I LOVE those, but they stink here right now, but we are coming into season, so I can't wait!)

I can have healthy oils such as Olive oil, coconut oil, black olives and currently I do use full fat items like cream cheese, sour cream but I use only unsweetened almond milk (Milk has too much sugar in it for me, so I can't have that) but I can have cottage cheese full fat, in moderation (still have to be careful of the natural sugar content) and right now, I can't have fruits - once I lose a lot of weight and re-set my hormone imbalances and the metabolic issue, I can start adding fruits back in and complex carbs like beans (I MISS BEANS SO BAD!!!!!!!) But I've also discovered that I think I have a wheat intolerance (gluten, sensitivity, but not allergic) I feel so much better off of wheat, but when I have fallen off the wagon (only a few times) I feel physically sick and miserable.

I have an appt with my Dr this week for a weigh in and a 3 month check up on my blood work (Which I'm hoping to ROCK!)
  • email4jenp
    Options
    Oh, I can't eat fish or seafood. I gag. I've tried. The only fish I can tolerate is Tuna, but the Dr asked me to only have that once a week, if that, due to mercury (and I guess with my weight and metabolic issues, it's not safe for me to eat more than that for the moment) I think normal people can eat it without issues in moderation. But I couldn't eat tuna once a week anyway, it's more like once a year.

I've been taking Omega 3 supplements and I have been eating flax and chia on occasion.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can't eat fish or seafood. I gag. I've tried. The only fish I can tolerate is Tuna, but the Dr asked me to only have that once a week, if that, due to mercury (and I guess with my weight and metabolic issues, it's not safe for me to eat more than that for the moment) I think normal people can eat it without issues in moderation. But I couldn't eat tuna once a week anyway, it's more like once a year.

I've been taking Omega 3 supplements and I have been eating flax and chia on occasion.

Is this a naturopathic doctor?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are not feeling hungry, if you have energy, if you are not feeling weak, light headed, not getting headaches, cycles are fine.. You have nothing to worry about. Just make sure the calories you are eating are good, nutritious calories. I eat very low cal, about 1000-1300 cals a day, even with exercise. Just do your best to get to your 1600 but if you are not hungry, don't force it.
  • email4jenp
    Options
    No, she's not a naturopatic Dr. She's my primary care Dr, but I was initially going for Gastric Bypass (which I've struggled over that decision for a few years) and each time I get ready to do it, I back out, because I NEED to fix the reason I eat in the first place and truthfully, I am not broken, so I didn't want to remove part of my body I could fix. So she agreed to take a serious interest in me (the nutritionist I saw, kept pushing gastric bypass rather than helping me figure out how to control binging and eating better)

So, my Dr ran a bunch of tests (I was worried I had Type II Diabetes, but fortunately I do not, but there were some other issues) which prompted the best way to approach a diet. I tried WW, and i think that is an EXCELLENT program, but it allowed foods that still lead me on binges (And I didn't get this or understand why - it's really a long story) so she suggested no sugar, low carb, carbs coming from veggies and lots of lean proteins - that it would erase cravings and would likely help with binging because it would keep my blood sugar low (Low glycemic foods, but I have to eat the lowest of low glycemic) At first, I thought she was CRAZY. That I would never be able to cut out sugar. But after the 1st 4 days, I felt sooooooo good. No cravings (that's not to say I am not tempted, but those temptations are EASY to walk away from now) it was like a light switch got flipped off.

She's fairly conservative in some regards. I like Tofu, but she asked me not to eat that more than once a week either, because in women that are overweight, it causes problems. Oce I lose the bulk of the weight, I can eat more, in moderation.

Thanks for all of the help! I appreciate it a lot!!!

Is this a naturopathic doctor?
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    If you are full I would not force yourself to eat....One thing I have started eating to help my calories go up is Nuts...They are dense in calories & provide protein as well... I eat a handful of these throughout the day & I actually go over my cals sometimes b/c of this...HTH.. :)
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Put a nice shake of olive oil on top of all of your food before you eat it. I would think that would do the trick.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    be good to retune your food diary goals to suit your diet plan - reduce the carbs, up the fat. See http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

Personally I take advantage of the lack of hunger on low carb to eat less, I note you said the weight came off when you reduced calories.

Stir some cream into your protein shake perhaps, eat a few nuts as snacks, avoid low fat / lean / diet versions of things if you do need to get more calories.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would watch your brand choice of peanut butter, it looks like you don't use natural PB (literally just peanuts), most brands add sugar to make it taste better. I would check your label. If you can get some natural peanut butter though, you could add that to your protein shakes to give them a bit more calorie heft. Use oil when cooking your food such as your eggs or your stir fry. You could try eating servings of nuts as well, they are calorically dense. You can also try making salads and giving them more calories by adding meat, cheese, nuts. I also like cottage cheese in my salads (so much protein!) but I don't know how much sugar it has or if you can have it. Basically it's just choosing more calorie dense foods so you're not eating to the point of wanting to be sick, but you're getting enough fuel for your body.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Keep at it.. When i first started MFP i didn't eat much and wasn't hungry.. After nearyl 3 months now I actually have an appetite and I am starting to enjoy food again. Do you exercise? I try and exercise 4-5 times a week that helps with the hunger for me!
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow - add me as your friend - you could be my twin. I'm about the same weight - struggling with the exact same issue. I try to do 1200 cals a day and under 70 carbs and most days I am more around 1000 cals. I've been doing this 35 days and have lost 16 pounds, but the last 6 days I've hit a plateau and I'm so freaking mad! I've had people comment to me privately that I'm eating too few calories - but I am just like you and I AM NOT HUNGRY for ONCE in my life and I really do NOT want to go BACKWARDS and eat more! I'm insulin resistant - high cholesterol and Vitamin D defiicient. I"m on supplements from my doctor for the Vitamin D. I feel about a zillion times better - so what's up with the plateau! I am just here to comiserate with you. I have no solution though. :)

What I decided to do yesterday to try to get my metabolism moving - I mean - I don't see how I can eat less than I am - and I really don't want to eat more - so I finally added in exercise. I had a broken foot when I started this, but the cast is off finally and while I don't have the complete all clear from the doctor to be walking - I am going to get that next week most likely - so I started walking yesterday. I hope that makes a difference.

Edited to add: OH, I wanted to say I don't adhere to the under 70 carbs religiously. My doctor said under 130 carbs and that I could go under 100 carbs for quicker weight loss. Somewhere in my twisted head, I decided I wanted it to stay between 60 and 70 each day. I basically pulled this number out of thin air - no judgement please! Some days I'm a a little under and some days I'm a few over - but I try to keep it in my mind that I COULD go up to 100 carbs if I wanted - so that way I don't freak out if I go over 70 some days.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    but the last 6 days I've hit a plateau

A proper plateau is 4 weeks with no weight or inches loss. 6 days is a bit short term so hang in there.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I agree with the woman who said it would help to open your food diary. But I can tell you this from my own experience. When I ate lots of carbs, I was hungry most all the time and would go over my calories easily and often. When I went low carb, high fat and high protein, I just don't get hungry and it's hard to eat all my calories. Yet I'm full and feel fine. I might add that I only count calories once and awhile. It's not the way I choose to live. But I check up on them from time to time.

When you add fat and protein and cut down carbs, you simply eat better and are more full. There are those who might disagree with that or dislike it. I don't care. It works for me. I wouldn't worry about calories unless they're way too low. You certainly need to eat at least 20 percent over your BMR.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It is probably due to the high levels of protein. You're going to have to show your body that you can eat more.

I know it is kind of weird but try to force yourself to have an extra snack or two throughout the day. Slowly up those calories over time. Your metabolism will adapt and you'll start to hit your goal.]

you definitely need to hit 1200 AT LEAST. Being under 1000 is going to hurt your body over time. Really try to hit that 1600 or more.
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    but the last 6 days I've hit a plateau

A proper plateau is 4 weeks with no weight or inches loss. 6 days is a bit short term so hang in there.

Thanks! That does make me feel a little bit better. But still - I was spoiled seeing myself drop like 3 pounds or more a week - lol - so six days with the scale not MOVING is frustrating!!!! I just texted my mom and told her to bring her tennis shoes to dinner - lol - because we are walking!! I hope that gets things moving again.