Running consecutive days?

Hey all. It's just started to get nice outside and I want to take advantage of the weather. As a newish runner, should we be going on consecutive days?

I used to run in high school at least 6 miles a day with no problem. But as I get older I don't want to cause any damage especially when I am building back my endurance.

Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Hey all. It's just started to get nice outside and I want to take advantage of the weather. As a newish runner, should we be going on consecutive days?

I used to run in high school at least 6 miles a day with no problem. But as I get older I don't want to cause any damage especially when I am building back my endurance.

Any thoughts or advice?

I just started the c25k and I beleive it says you should take off days in between. I know when I was younger I could do alot of things and not have pain. Now if I run to much to fast I will get shin splints. If you are not overweight maybe you wont have the same issues?
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    take it easy and skip days for awhile. less chance of injury. runner's knee, etc. vary the length of your runs, work consecutive days in as you progress. take one or two rest days a week.
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Many people run every day...As long as you are not injured there is no restriction on running...probably good to ramp up the mileage slowly until your conditioning is used to it..
  • Loribrook
    Loribrook Posts: 1 Member
    i am not a runner due to a physical disability, but i have recently read a couple of articles from md's that stated, excessive running is not good for your heart. everyone thinks it is, but it actually stresses the heart muscles and over time a person will develop an enlarged heart or hardening of the muscle walls of the heart, i forgot the technical term. they said thats why marathoners and such may seem healthy and then have a heart attack. just fyi.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    I just started c25k today and I'll be resting a day in between until I'm further in the program at least. My legs are all noodlely now :huh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you're newly back into running ease into it gently. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

Start off running every other day (cross train in between) and if you feel the urge start adding some additional short, low intensity runs and take your total running volume into consideration when adding days. Personally I find running 4 x weekly along with other activities (biking, swimming, strength, kid's soccer etc) keep me busy enough.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    It totally depends on your mileage, your level of fitness, intensity level, how your joints tolerate it, if you're lifting as well...

I *think* your overall mileage is more important than how often you put the miles in, so after a long run you need to rest, whereas you could probably tolerate a couple days in a row of shorter distance runs. Either way, slowly build up to the mileage you want, and listen to your body and cut back if you're feeling sore or your joints are aching. I think the rule of thumb is you can safely add 10% to your weekly mileage each week.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    I run every other day...................for me it works for now! I do not want to over do it!!!!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    I did c25k last summer - being the overachiever that I am I thought if 3 days were good, 5 or 6 would be better but I ended up with shin splints, etc. It all depends on your body and other variables - right shoes, stretching properly, etc., Your body will tell you if you are doing too much - just listen to it so you don't burnt out or hurt yourself. You can always do some other form of exercise on the other days - strength train, swim, eliptical, pilates, yoga, etc., to help you keep your workout routine. Good luck and happy running! I did my 8th 5K this morning. I have nominated myself to be the C25K poster child, ha,ha.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Thanks yall!
    I do yoga and Rushfit on my off days to keep limber and work on my strength. I am overweight (at least I feel overweight when I run) but I enjoy the physical challenge of having to push through pain to achieve things. I am going to be smart and go one day on one off for now and work my way up. I haven't been doing this very long so I need to pace myself - you're all correct there.