Is it normal that I'm almost never sore?

Options
I don't do big hardcore trainings. I started with the elliptical and was only sore once. I switched to home fitness DVDs from Leslie Sansone. I'm exhausted and drenched but i never get sore except on the spot while I exercise. does not being sore means that my workout isn't hard enough so that i lose weight?

Replies

• awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wish I was you! Unfortunately I have no idea if that's a bad sign or not, perhaps ask a fitness trainer if you go to a gym?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It just means its not challenging your muscles enough. Once you get used to any work out, you stop getting sore. You have to push yourself harder each workout strength wise if you want any strength gains. After that, you'll be sore.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I dont know that much about it apart from my own experience. I never get sore from running or elliptical. I do get sore from sprints and strength training. Whatever works for you is fine but you may find there are benefits to building muscle through strength training for long term weight loss.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    Try some strength training or do some kettle bell workouts. Or squats! Cardio doesn't really result in DOMS for me either. But I can barely even move today after yesterday's strength training so maybe you just need to try some of that!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    If i`m not sore the day after...I feel i`ve not done enough...Thats just me though..
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you're still seeing results, it's probably nothing to worry about. Just remember to change up your routine every now and then to keep challenging your body.

The elliptical never made my sore. I only started getting sore with running when I started running 5-6 miles at a time. Strength training gets me more than anything.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have some handweights at home I could always try that. What does DOMS mean?
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If you're wondering about it, try pushing yourself more and see if you feel sore then. Sometimes even though we're beat and drenched in sweat we may not have really pushed our body out of a comfort zone as far as muscle work. I know that if I put myself on a treadmill on a certain setting I'll still sweat, huff and puff, and feel drained but it doesn't make my legs in any part sore or tight because it's not more than what I'm used to doing or even comfortable doing. And this is coming from someone with a joint disorder who can dislocate and pop joints just grocery shopping and make herself sore and visibly bruised from it.

If even after you push yourself you find you're not sore then who knows. Perhaps your muscles are in better shape. But if nothing else you could talk to a physical therapist or someone with similar knowledge and see if there's anything to be concerned about, medically.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have some handweights at home I could always try that. What does DOMS mean?

Delayed onset muscle soreness. Basically just sore muscles a few hours or days later. You don't feel it while you workout but it creeps in after.
  • sarapeek
    sarapeek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be sore to burn calories, but it's possible you could be working harder, which would mean burning more. That being said, do what works for you!

I don't know how much soreness varies from person to person. I've never heard anyone talk about that. It's possible you're just lucky. I'm sore _all the time_, even from things I do commonly, like run 2-3 miles. (Extra stretching doesn't help, unfortunately, though it feels nice.)
  • CherryOnionKiss
    Options
    If you're still seeing results, it's probably nothing to worry about. Just remember to change up your routine every now and then to keep challenging your body.

The elliptical never made my sore. I only started getting sore with running when I started running 5-6 miles at a time. Strength training gets me more than anything.

Actually i'm not seeing result. Lost 3 pounds in 3 months. But I must admit that I eat crap.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You're just becoming more efficient at your workout, either in the manner in which you perform it, or the way your body reacts when you do. It doesn't mean you haven't done enough; if you're strength training, you'll experience some soreness to begin with (and it's usually worse the day after the day after) but it'll fade when your form & routine is correct and settled.

If you've NEVER been sore, and were relatively [or completely] sedentary before beginning training, then have someone check your form. Even if you're just using a treadmill or an elliptical. Chances are you're not doing the exercise right.

It may seem simple, but it's one of the most common problems at the gym.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Not seeing results and not sore eh? Work harder, me thinks.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit sore every day, when I first started the Insanity routine I could barely walk down stairs after LOL. Now I'm only slightly sore most days, and a bit more so days it gets switched up. I'm finding I dont mind being a little sore, it kinda makes me happy, I feel like I've accomplished something :)

The soreness is your muscle trying to repair and build, this is a good thing. I agree with the other poster, perhaps add some weight training 3X a week. Your muscles will love you! well, after a bit of rebellion they will :)
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    From what I've read and personal experience, your muscles should be sore after strength training. Try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred DVD. It's killer, even with five pound weights. Cardio doesn't necessarily need to make you sore, just sweaty. That's the fat crying. ;)
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Actually i'm not seeing result. Lost 3 pounds in 3 months. But I must admit that I eat crap.

Went through your diary and noticed your protein intake is low on most days. Protein is vital for your body to repair muscles! If you work out, always aim for more protein than what MFP's macro recommendation. And the sodium in fast food that you are eating makes your body retain a lot of water weight (so the weight change doesn't show on scale)
  • EliBond
    EliBond Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and I found a good article on fitnessblackbook.com about it!

Apparently it's just about genetic make-up, natural bone density etc and nothing for us to worry about.

If we're working as hard as we can it's a good work out!
    :)
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need to worry about it. I am never sore the day after a workout but I am obviously doing something right! And I sweat like a pig as well so its definetely that I am not pushing myself.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    Options
    From what I've read and personal experience, your muscles should be sore after strength training. Try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred DVD. It's killer, even with five pound weights. Cardio doesn't necessarily need to make you sore, just sweaty. That's the fat crying. ;)

Ugh 30 days shred will probably kill me hahahaha
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you're basically doing cardio workouts, stay well hydrated, and are used to exercising that part of your body then there is really no reason you would be sore. Soreness comes in basically 3 forms....residual lactic acid build up and swelling in the muscle; micro-tears in the muscle fiber and residual swelling; outright damage from a muscle pull or tear (which is more painful than sore). The lactic acid build up is the soreness typically associated with just starting to exercise and goes away relatively quickly as you build muscle tone and your body gets efficient about flushing the lactic acid out of your muscles. Micro-tears are typical of resistance training and are perfectly normal, more so when starting a lifting routine or progressing into heavier weights. The muscle fibers stretch and slightly slip against each other and the fibers are swelling due to the resistance exercise.

If you're not weight training, or not pushing yourself in a lifting routing, and stay well hydrated, not being sore is expected. Doesn't mean you're not burning calories, but does indicate you could be pushing your muscles a little harder.