My 1st 5K

Options
Today was my 1st 5K. I woke up so nervous and scared, I could barely eat. My biggest fears? I was scared that I would fail, that I wouldn't be able to finish. I was scared that I would be the last person crossing. I was scared that I would be the biggest person there (thinking they were all going to be these super skinny, healthy runners).
We get to the race and as we're all waiting to start, I was shaking. I couldn't tell if I wanted to cry or throw up.
The race starts. The crowd pushed through to the actual start line, and as I cross..... I wanted to jump up and down. I DID IT! I DID IT! I'M ACTUALLY DOING MY 1ST 5k!!!
I thought about nothing the entire way except how great it felt. I didn't notice my knees hurting (they always do). I didn't notice my lungs dying. I just went. There were beautiful houses to look at. People to talk to. I didn't even listen to my music, I took it off. And there were a TON of people walking. And it went so quickly!
The 1st mile, I walked and jogged it.
The 2nd mile, my goal was to jog the whole mile without walking. I thought I was going to die. Then out of nowhere, a man wearing a wig with ponytails and wearing a dress, was banging on a drum cheering us on. "1 more mile Mom's. You can do this". What? 1 more mile??? I just jogged a whole mile! Well, sheesh, I made it this far, so.....
The 3rd mile, I jogged the whole thing.
That's right! I jogged 2 whole freaking miles for the first time EVER in my life!!! I actually started to get a little teary-eyed.
So, we're all moving along. Then the hill. The evil, evil hill. This thing was HUGE! I jogged all the way up it. I would have stopped jogging and walked if someone hadn't have yelled that the finish was just around the corner. That got all of us moving our butts. And sure enough, there it was!
My son (2 yrs old) met me close to the finish line, and holding hands, he and I crossed the finish line together.
I did my 1st 5K race today. I smiled, and laughed, and cried, and was so overjoyed and proud of myself!

And when my son and I crossed the finish line, a guy from the Daily Herald was taking pictures and he said that he's going to put our picture in the paper. :-D

Best Mother's Day Ever! And it's only right that I ran in the Run Like A Mother 5K.

6Krjts.jpg

hwrtts.jpg

I3kVYs.jpg

Replies

• OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOOOO PROUD of YOU!!!!!!! You are officially a RUNNER:) Way to go!!!!!!!
  • jsenecal12
    jsenecal12 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm so proud of you and so glad to hear it went well! Congratulations!
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    Good job. I remember running my 5k a couple month ago at a time of 17:49.
    What was your time?
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Great job! And great story too :) Happy Mother's Day!
  • njmp
    Options
    What was your time?
    Your FIRST 5k? You ran faster than most professional athletes would...
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So very proud of you congrats on your first 5k and many more in the future you are a true insperation and should be proud :)
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tried to post the pictures for you, but they're too big.

in the future, you need to change the IMG to img
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    What was your time?

I trained a year for it. It was hard as ****..
    17:49 isnt that impressive.
    The first place guy got around 15-16
  • smartell2bys
    smartell2bys Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great Job ...Congrats!!!
    I got teary eyed just reading it.
    So excited for you on the completion... WTG!!
  • njmp
    Options
    What was your time?

Okay then. Either way, I think it's not about her time, but the fact that OP got it done! So well done, again :flowerforyou:
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I swear to god your post had me near to tears, i've registered for my first 5k race which takes place in July (i've been wanting to do it for years but othr people said i couldn't/wouldn't be able to do it) & I have the same fears you had & to be honest i get scared sh*tless just thinking of taking part. Thank you for giving me some confidence that I can do it & that i won't fail or look stupid so thank you very much x
  • cherlea33
    cherlea33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Major congrats to you!! What a fantastic Mother's Day to be able to finish with your son. :)
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Awesome feeling!!! One you will NEVER forget.
  • tyandlindsma
    tyandlindsma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post and I congratulate on your success! I am contemplating running a 5K next month and haven't registered yet due to fear ~ many of the same fears that you mentioned. I am inspired by you and I look forward to feeling that exhilaration someday when I complete a 5K! Happy Mother's Day - your little boy is adorable!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!!!! :)
  • mrsgroove
    mrsgroove Posts: 44
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Way to go! I did my first 5K a couple of weeks ago. I didn't train to run/jog. I just wanted to walk it with my friends and family. It was a support walk for Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Center. My bro-in-law was in their hospital for 15 weeks after a wreak. I walked the whole thing for a time of almost exactly one hour. Not only was it a great chance to see people who had overcome serious issues, (they had a wheelchair/handbike start just before ours) it made me feel great to complete my first event. I plan on doing another at the end of the summer and I will be sure to remember your example when I am training to jog that one. Great story! Thanks for sharing.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    They have all said it and so am I. I am so proud of you for doing this, hope one day I can jon you. And how preciously special to go over the finsih line with your 2 year old son and I bet he loved that too. CONGRATULATIONS on a job well dne!!!
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    What was your time?

Okay then. Either way, I think it's not about her time, but the fact that OP got it done! So well done, again :flowerforyou:

Yep. WHoooooooooooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO op!
  • madtownjeremy
    madtownjeremy Posts: 249
    Options
    Congratulations!!! WOO HOO! :)

Finishing races always feels SO good, no matter what the length or what your time was; the energy out there in the field at start and finish is just amazing. There's nothing like it in the world IMHO.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Awh...what a sweet story. Congrats on finishing your 1st 5K. I just did my 1st 5K two weeks ago and I had the similar feeling prior to and during and afterwards. It is just an amazing feeling isn't it and the thing that surprised me most was how much fun I had. You should be so very proud of your accomplishment. Keep on running :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!