Measuring pasta?

Options
cHaRlIe0411
cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
When you enter, let's say, 4 ounces of pasta, is that 4 ounces cooked or uncooked? Because there is a BIG difference!

Replies

• Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Uncooked.
  • BlessedEight
    Options
    So does 4 oz uncooked pasta make into 1 cup cooked pasta?
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    2oz works out to about 1 cup when cooked. Always measure pasta uncooked. I in fact measure all items as uncooked.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale and then measure 2 oz. of dry pasta. Once it's cooked, I use my 1-cup serving spoon, or a one-cup measure, to scoop out the pasta.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Because most of the entries in the MFP database are user-entered, there is no knowing which it means unless they have noted "dry" or "cooked".
    The good news is that it really doesn't matter - pick the one that is most convenient for you and search for an entry that says "pasta cooked" or "pasta dry".
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    On a vast majority of food packaging, the amount (weight/measurements) listed are dry or uncooked unless otherwise stated ON the package. So, 2 oz of pasta is typically about 200-ish calories and will weigh around 4 oz cooked for that same calorie count. I've seen a few things (Jimmy Dean sausage, for example) which lists the serving size specifically as 2 oz COOKED. Just read the labels. :)