Water problem/question

Options
i've never been much of a water drinker, i just didn't like the "taste", and would prefer to drink something like pop, juice, chocolate milk ect.

i've been getting better at drinking my water though and can actually drink it without gagging.

my problem is: i pee about every 1-1.5 hours days i don't drink anything. days i drink the recommended 8 glasses a day it seems i'm in the bathroom every half hour. is this normal? does it get better as you drink that much more often?

Replies

• jewely82
    jewely82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It is normal to pee a lot more often when you first start drinking enough fluids. After a few weeks you will notice that you are going pee less often. It just takes your body a while to adjust.
  • kimberjones
    Options
    what she said :happy:

You could also try adding some lemon juice or a little packet of 'orange' stuff that you can get in the isle with sweetener. That changes the flavor a little and I don't think there's any calories in it. Check to be sure, though!

:flowerforyou:
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No other drink except water does that to me too! No matter how long I have been drinking it, it goes right through me!! Always has!
    Don't have an explanation for it but just wanted you to know you are not alone!:flowerforyou:
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Most people only pee every 3-5 hours or so. So if you are peeing more than that it probably isn't just an isolated body odd - I'm wondering if you might have something else going on like a urinary tract infection. How often you pee has more to do than just how much fluids you are taking in. Have you had children? Could you possibly have a UTI with no other symptoms? Are you peeing more mLs in a day than you actually drink? What color is the urine?

A dr. appt might be in order.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Every 30 minutes just when drinking 64 oz of water in 24 hours? For the entire time you're awake? How many times are you urinating in 24 hours? Every 30 minutes seems very excessive. I often drink 3-4 liters (which is roughly 100-140 ounces) and I normally go every 3-4 hours or so which is a lot for me. I think your bladder should easily hold *at least* 300 mL which is over 10 ounce and some people have much larger bladders. So, if you're only drinking 64 ounces of water, I don't understand how it's even possible you'd need to go every 30 minutes unless you're just releasing a whole lot of retained water.

Do you know of an existing bladder problem? Or are you just drinking a whoooooolllee lot of fluids in addition to the water?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You may be OVER doing it. Your pee should be the color of watery lemonade, barely yellow in color. clear means you are hydrated enough and yellow or gold means more water please. It will take a little time to figure out how much you really need, and it varies with seasons and activity level but give it a week or so and if you are getting up at night to pee stop drinking ANYTHING about three hours before bed! :drinker:
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know it seems that you go a lot more and yes you will the more water you drink but remember that water flushes fat from the body and also excess sodium which are two great reasons for drinking plenty of water besides hydrating yourself which is critical when exercising. God Bless, Brenda
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i currently don't have a uti or bladder infection. but i am very prone to them, and i have 2 kids for the person that asked! when i was in grade 8-9 i missed a lot of school because of bladder problems and pain. i've talked to my dr about me peeing so often and pretty much blew it off that i just have a small bladder. i've been like that for as long as i can remember. when i was younger (heck i still can unless i'm exercising) i could go for days without drinking anything because i never really feel thirsty....but i'd still have to pee lots. i'm weird, lol!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I had to go often when I started drinking water. There were times I would have to stop on the side of the highway (yeah guy advantage) :tongue: That was after I had gone pee before I left work and couldn't wait to get home to go again.

Now it's getting better. I also had to try and stop drinking 2-3 hours before going to sleep, or I wake up in middle of the night to go.
    So basically for some of us that leaves us 13-14 hours to drink 8-12 cups of water.{24-8(sleep) = 16 - 2-3(before sleep)}

I know when I drink water, I'm gulping down sometimes 8 ozs at a time.
    Some people might take sips. I"m sure that can make a difference on how fast it comes back out.

Just a thought/theory??
    I believe that since i'm overweight, that there's more fat pushing on/around the bladder, and not allowing it to expand and hold more?
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No Dr. should be brushing off frequent urination problems. Time for a new Dr.

That can be an early sign of diabetes, it can be a bladder spasming type problem, it can be an ongoing infection, etc etc etc etc.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I drink tons of water, actually have to watch myself because I can easily drink way too much. I don't drink anyhing else except some coffee in the morning. I pee all the time!:laugh: And I know some days I go more than others so I don't think theres anything wrong with it......But if you have had bladder problems before....

Have you tried to see a new doctor? Have you tried cranberry juice of supplements? Since you have a history I would suggest seeing another doctor and checking that cranberry is safe for you. But cranberry is very effective in treating and preventing UTI's. Its also a natural diuretic, so you will probably pee frequently at first. Certainly check with a doctor before you try any supplements, but that might help you cleanse out the urinary tract and get you on a regular schedule. Also if you just started drinking water because you didn't like it before, you are most likely getting a really good cleanse right now!
  • Jlynb1109
    Jlynb1109 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light is really yummy and low in calories. You can either buy the tubs and make 2 quarts in a container or the single serve packets..
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    Crystal Light is really yummy and low in calories. You can either buy the tubs and make 2 quarts in a container or the single serve packets..

oh, i can drink water fine now by itself. i used to use the crystal light and another kind (can't remember) but i don't really like them. i'd prefer to just drink my water plain now. the issue is peeing to much though lol