Has anyone had success due to spinning classes?

Options

Replies

• cncersux
    cncersux Posts: 15
    Options
    totally agree! I'm addicted to spin class. Its definitely for everyone as you are in control of your own intensity. I found it has really helped with my running as well. I'm training for a half and my stamina and speed is amazing since I started spinning. Go for it! It is so much fun!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am so confused then.... The past 2 times I've gone to spin, I've worked my butt off... Totally kept up with the instructors, dripped sweat from places I didn't know produced sweat, and I have gotten <300 calories burned each time (1 hour class). My armband monitor is fantastic with every other form of exercise, but not this one. Not sure if it's my armband, or if something is wrong?

Also, I've been to some spin classes where you are out of the seat more, but my instructor today said to stay in it more. Which is better?

Does you're HRM have a chest strap too? Perhaps your arm band isn't registering because you are not doing as much arm movement (if you don't have a chest strap). I generally burn between 450-500 in an hour class. I don't know which is better (sitting or standing more) but I know I prefer more standing exercises although a good sprint or seated climb is good every once in a while too!
  • avecviolet
    avecviolet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! Spinning is great for everyone! I love Spinning. Burns a ton a of calories and is really fun. It doesn't matter if you've been sitting on the couch for years or if you run marathons. It will push you to work your hardest at your current fitness level. You have complete control of the resistance. You'll build up endurance and strength fast for sure . A good instructor makes it or breaks it, in my opinion. Find a good instructor and you're golden.
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified Spin instructor as well and I have to agree with the majority..Spin is for everyone (beginner, intermediate or the most experienced)...What I tell anyone new to my class or new to exercise is to just go at your own pace and resistance..if we're standing (which we do most of the ride) and you cant just sit and keep pedaling..yes your butt will hurt but once you get used to the seat and standing it wont hurt anymore..I've had people walk out of my class 15mins and 30mins into it and thats fine, come back and add a little more time to it until you can last the entire 60mins..you just have to build stamina up like you do any other cardio exercise..I agree to arrive early so your instructor can assist you with setting up your bike and the best level for you

good luck
  • 140nicmauk
    140nicmauk Posts: 2
    Options
    I accidentally went to my first spinning class (the other class I wanted to do was full....the front desk girl asked if I wanted to do Spin, and I groaned and agreed) and I am SO HAPPY i did! Spinning offers so much more than other classes did for me.... I could feel so amazing pushing myself to the limit or taking it easy and imagining I was riding down a French roadway like Lance Armstrong.....
    What I love most about it is that I can control how hard I work. According to my gym, the heart rate for training is sorta low for me, my heart rate tends to get higher than it should for fat burning, so I like that I can control how hard I work to keep my heart rate where it should be. Otherwise I'd be panting in some Zumba class and my heart would be beating too fast..... the last thing I need is more muscle.....
    GO TRY SPIN. YOU WONT REGRET IT.
  • WannaBeThin87
    WannaBeThin87 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you have convinced me to try it!
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started doing Spin 3 or 4 weeks ago and love it. I did go to Walmart and bought a $16 bike seat. It has memory foam and helps. Some wear the bike shorts with the cushion in it the butt area but I don't have any of those. It is worth every penny. I love the calories I burn in those 45 minutes, lately just over 500.

Good luck!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i go to spinning twice a week and love it! i look forward to it and never miss a class. i think it is something that everyone can do - it's certainly low impact, but i would just say to take it easy at first. the instructor will talk you through the changes in resistance and speed, and until you get the hang of it, just maybe only increase the resistance and speed every other time or something. i do think anyone could do it, but i am in really good shape and it totally destroys me every time. the other nice thing is that you can make it really hard on yourself if you want, which is what i love to do!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    and regarding the bulky thing - it's really, really hard for women to get bulky. i lifted weights heavy every day in college as a collegiate athlete and did the stairmaster for no less than 30 minutes every day, not to mention softball practice all the time. i ate A TON because i was hungry all the time. i was overweight and bulky - my biceps were 12" and 14" (my right arm has always been bigger - i was a pitcher!). that's what you have to do to get bulky - don't worry about this. it's rare and you have to really work very hard to do it. i lift all the time now and i bet i couldn't lift 75% of what i did then. plus i probably eat 1/2 as much.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist (mostly mountain biking) and Spin Class keeps me fit all winter long and on bad rain days. I went to class 2 or 3 times a week and rode a Spin bike 1 or 2 additional days and progressively increased cardio fit and dropped or maintained my ideal weight. I use a heart rate monitor for every class and watch my HR on my phone as a guide to ensure I'm not cheating myself or working too hard. Since I compete I tried to stay near my max HR for an hour at least once a week then recovered the next class or Spin ride. During race season Spin also helps for sprint repeats to increase my overall speed. I typically burn 800 to 1200 calories an hour and feel no pain after like running did to me. Simply mix push ups, sit ups, planks, squats, or any other strength exercise in towards the end for a few minutes to tone other areas and you got a great plan.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, Spinning or cycling develops great looking calf muscles, for you women that wear high heals, this will show off those legs even better.
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Going to my first spinning class today so I was just reading this post to see what people were saying.

I'm a physical therapist, so I know a little about knee pain and exercise. Just because spinning isn't a high impact activity doesn't necessarily mean that you can spin your heart out and not worry about your knees. The key is to make sure that the bike is the right fit. If the seats too high or too low it can add stress to your knees. Even if your feet and the pedals aren't in good alignment this can impact the knee as well. Spinning is great for range of motion and strengthening the muscles around the knees therefore stabilizing them and making them stronger. Pain is a funny thing and when you feel it...listen to it! Check your alignment. Especially when standing and pedaling make sure your hip, knee and ankle are aligned. Obviously everyone is different but these are just some suggestions to minimize any future injury.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love spinning. One of my friends lost almost 100 pounds, and she says she owes a lot of her success to spinning.
  • lisag1995
    Options
    Hi been reading all these posts and I'm still really confused, I went to my first spinning class on Monday and I'm in utter pain! On the Tuesday my knees were sore and today my tops of my legs are aching so much I actually feel sick! The top of my legs are so tight I can't walk right I can't bend my knees without wincing in pain! I've tried stretching and pulling my knees up which works for a while then the tightness starts again. I just don't know what to do! I've been out and about walking and doing housework and having a 3 year old around but just can't shift this tightness. I've also used deep heat on them but it doesn't even touch the pain.... Any ideas?
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Go to a beginners spinning class first:)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi been reading all these posts and I'm still really confused, I went to my first spinning class on Monday and I'm in utter pain! On the Tuesday my knees were sore and today my tops of my legs are aching so much I actually feel sick! The top of my legs are so tight I can't walk right I can't bend my knees without wincing in pain! I've tried stretching and pulling my knees up which works for a while then the tightness starts again. I just don't know what to do! I've been out and about walking and doing housework and having a 3 year old around but just can't shift this tightness. I've also used deep heat on them but it doesn't even touch the pain.... Any ideas?

You didn't spin and engage more muscles, and the seat height was wrong emphasizing the quads.

Better setup next time, come early, and don't be pushing at 60 rpm, should be at 90, which almost prevents totally having ONLY a pushing engagement.
    Stretch right afterwards better.

For now, walking to get blood flow to the muscle is it. Don't worry about stretching yet until pain goes down.
  • LynseyGPT
    LynseyGPT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At this point, I don't exercise at all. I've always wanted to try spinning classes. I've been told you can burn a lot of calories and really tone up from spinning.

If you don't exercise at all, do NOT start with a spinning class unless it is specifically slated for beginners. Spinning is intense and can be difficult even for people who are used to a lot of exercise.

I started a spinning class thinking it would be fine because I always did a lot of cardio, and it was one of the most painful things ever!

DISAGREE! Go! Spinning is for everyone!

Come on, that is ridiculous.

ANYONE at ANY FITNESS LEVEL can do a spinning class. The first time I ever took a spin class, I had just had my 3rd child and had not worked out in 9 years (9 years of near constant pregnancy (6 pregnancies) and nursing). Yes, it was hard, and my booty hurt, but it was motivating.

I became an instructor within 6 mos. That was 8 years ago.

Huge calorie burn! Bring water, get there 10 minutes early, and have the instructor explain everything to you.

Go 3 times within 2 weeks and your booty will no longer hurt, you will be able to do everything and you will be hooked.

P.S. do not waste money on padded shorts or a padded seat. 3x in 2 weeks, and you will be fine. that is all.

blessings.
  • LynseyGPT
    LynseyGPT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spinning is brill, you dont have to work as hard as everyone, just go at you own pace to start with, and your butt will get used to the seat!
  • micheleshields
    Options
    I disagree as well..anyone can "jump" right into a spin class..Its hard, you just go at your own pace until you build yourself up. I've been taking spin off and on for years.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I wear the padded pants and I get a thick sanitary pad to stick between my dies and the shorts. I think more padding is better than lugging around a bike seat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!