Come on People....REALLY???? Is gym decorum non-existent???

Options
Ok, I just got home from the gym and was so totally grossed out that I felt compelled to appeal to the masses. I never would have imagined in a million years that I would see the things that actually go on at the gym. How absolutely disgusting! I've seen a guy do the 'farmer blow' while on the elliptical. His shoes must have been crazy glued to the elliptical aand was unable to step off and walk 15 paces to the tissue box. Really??? I mean REALLY??? Do you think someone wants to see that let alone have to worry about stepping in and around your snot.

Tonight a guy heads to the restroom (15 steps to the left of the ellpiticals) and 30 seconds later he walks out while the toilet is still flushing. My first thought is gosh I hope he at least washed his hands. Well, there was no need for him to wash his hands as he had workout gloves on. Novel idea! You never have to wash your hands at the gym after using the restroom if you wear workout gloves. Well, he proceeded to the drinking fountain and to I swear every piece of equipment in the gym. How absolutely disgusting! I'm not typically a germaphobe but COME ON PEOPLE....REALLY?

Let's not forget about the HS boys that find it entertaining trying to 'out-gas' each other in front of the floor fans while giggling like little school girls. They were completely oblivious to the other users of the facilities. REALLY???

Is this a guy thing??? Does this sort of stuff happen at your gym? Am I totally off the mark expecting a certain respect for others who use the facilities as well???

I’m just so totally disgusted and had to vent about this issue.

Replies

• Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Ewww I totally agree, that's disgusting!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Wow, I do not want to use your gym.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have never seen it go on at the gym I go to but then you have to clean the stuff you use and if you don't guess if you are up next you either clean it or you place your hands on to the machine any way.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't go to the gym :laugh: My Yoga studio can get stinky and sweaty enough!! I can clean my mat, it is my own personal sanctuary.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Time to switch gyms...
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I watched a girl sit her dirty sweaty butt on the handle of a treadmill so she could tie her shoe.. Which is why I wipe down equipment before I use it lol
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    YUCK!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anything like that at my gyms. That is totally foul.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Do I even dare ask what a 'farmer blow' is?
  • qcollins1
    qcollins1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow! I'd be running out of that gym fast! I attend a pretty low frills gym and have never seen any of the things that you describe. Where is management? In the few times that I have been displeased with something at the gym (my trainer was repeatedly late), I posted on the gym's website. The next business day, several levels of management contacted me to let me know the issue was being remedied. I say take your whole comment and paste it in the Contact Us section of your gym's home page. If that doesn't get results, you only have 2 options - carry your own little bottle of bleach water and clean everything before you use it, or change gyms.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just got home from the gym and was so totally grossed out that I felt compelled to appeal to the masses. I never would have imagined in a million years that I would see the things that actually go on at the gym. How absolutely disgusting! I've seen a guy do the 'farmer blow' while on the elliptical. His shoes must have been crazy glued to the elliptical aand was unable to step off and walk 15 paces to the tissue box. Really??? I mean REALLY??? Do you think someone wants to see that let alone have to worry about stepping in and around your snot.

Tonight a guy heads to the restroom (15 steps to the left of the ellpiticals) and 30 seconds later he walks out while the toilet is still flushing. My first thought is gosh I hope he at least washed his hands. Well, there was no need for him to wash his hands as he had workout gloves on. Novel idea! You never have to wash your hands at the gym after using the restroom if you wear workout gloves. Well, he proceeded to the drinking fountain and to I swear every piece of equipment in the gym. How absolutely disgusting! I'm not typically a germaphobe but COME ON PEOPLE....REALLY?

Let's not forget about the HS boys that find it entertaining trying to 'out-gas' each other in front of the floor fans while giggling like little school girls. They were completely oblivious to the other users of the facilities. REALLY???

Is this a guy thing??? Does this sort of stuff happen at your gym? Am I totally off the mark expecting a certain respect for others who use the facilities as well???

I’m just so totally disgusted and had to vent about this issue.

OMG I bet if you complained something would be done. I am a member of a really small gym and no one is ever there when I am, but I always clean off the machines, even the handles of the Universal gym. The gym before this one I was at was government owned, only hand sanitizers....so I just brought my own wipes and wiped everything down before and after. It even caught on, I saw others doing it too....This snot -blower should really be banned forever!
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That would be why I go to a womens gym!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

It's also called "the grandfather". It's when you plug one nostril and blow the "contents" of the other on the floor. You might do it if you were a Survivor contestant, lol
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The 'farmer blow' is not supposed to be done indoors, haha

maybe the guy just spit in the tiolet... gyms can be pretty disgusting! Just remember to not wipe your eyes or put your fingers in your mouth while you are there and washe your hands and you should be fine!! I am a germ phobic too and I would probably wipe down the machine in question before using it....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

also see: snot rocket
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I watched a girl sit her dirty sweaty butt on the handle of a treadmill so she could tie her shoe.. Which is why I wipe down equipment before I use it lol

for some reason I cannot picture that being disgusting, LOL
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

It's also called "the grandfather". It's when you plug one nostril and blow the "contents" of the other on the floor. You might do it if you were a Survivor contestant, lol

EEW!

I'd report that if I were the OP. That's really unsanitary and disgusting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If it goes on, then it's indicative of the type of service the gym provides and allows. Part of my criteria of working in any gym is how it's kept up, and overseen.
    Glad it doesn't happen much at my gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    Think you just joined a bad gym. I have never seen that before. I have seen interesting outfits but that's about it.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    "Decorum" - such a quaint word. It's a concept that, I'm afraid, went out with corsets and velocipedes, and not just at the gym.

Note to self: when i start going back to the gym, bring a container of hand sanitizer wipes.