Period and running???

Options
AuddAlise
AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
So I meant to ask this a few weeks ago but forgot (Mommy brain).

I like to run/jog on Monday morning, Tuesday evening and Thursday morning. If I happen to have my period on one of those days it becomes bad. Not only am I using a super tampon I am using a super pad and I hate pads. Plus they are awkard to run in.

Suggestions....

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Maybe just throw an extra tampon in your pocket/sock and make a bathroom stop halfway through your run. I can't imagine wearing a pad other than a panty liner.
  • fauberwhitehouse
    Options
    Maybe a Diva cup? I've not tried them, but I've had several friends swear by them. Although, I've never asked anyone about running/exercising in them.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I clicked this link.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I run in a residental area so unless I beg to use someones bathroom stopping halfway doesn't work. LOL, though can you imagine me trying to explain that?

Sorry Kneeki.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually just skip my heavy day and try to fit it in somewhere else. I get back on schedule the week after.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My periods have gotten a lot lighter since I started running. I often set PR's the first day or two of my period. Super maxis now are not nearly as big and uncomfortable as they used to be, back when they were an inch thick. You can get a pretty slim one with a good amount of absorbency. I do sometimes take a pair of scissors to a thin maxi to cut in the sides to ensure that they do not overlap outside the panty gusset and cause chafing (holy cow it hurts to have a maxi chafe the tender skin down there, and it is darn hard to bandage the resulting scab/burn properly!) How long are you usually running for? I don't usually need to change my tampon unless I am on a long run.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Well, you could adjust your running schedule so you don't run on the heaviest day of your period. Or you could do a smaller loop, running by your home halfway through your run to make a bathroom stop and change your tampon. Have you tried something more than a Super tampon? They sell a Super Plus. I run marathons and lots of other shorter races and it's inevitable that sometime I will get my period while I'm scheduled for a race. Mine tends to be very heavy on day 2 and I've had to make some mid-race port-a-potty stops but a Super Plus tampon usually does the trick for all but a really, really long run.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Suggestions....

change your running route so you run back past your house at the halfway point. you can change your tampon there.

Use two tampons. I know - kinda weird, but I've heard of people doing it. Just don't forget to take the second one out!! ;-)

Take anaprox or ibuprofen around the clock when your period starts. It decreases prostaglandin secretion and can decrease bleeding

Go on some sort of hormonal birth control method - pills, nuvaring, depo provera, or mirena. All of them can decrease menstrual flow.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options

LOL
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Maybe a Diva cup? I've not tried them, but I've had several friends swear by them. Although, I've never asked anyone about running/exercising in them.

This.
    I use one and have never ever had a leak, even after 8+ hours of wear with vigorous exercise (e.g. 3+ hours of beach volleyball).
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I ditch the pad when running, make sure your tampon is fresh before your run and it'll be cooool.

my problem is i finished my period, cool nbd, but it's a day before going back on my birth control and suddenly i'm spotting?! so irritating.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    I use the diva cup and it works well for me. Also, the days you run in the morning, if you can hold off 30ish + minutes and be upright and moving around home, that might get... er... your flow... going... a bit more before your run... do you know what I mean? LOL
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think you should try the Diva cup/soft cup/lots of different names. They are kind of tricky at first, but work great when you get the hang of them........I thought they sounded really off the wall, but once I tried one, well........wish I was 20 years younger and using them.....would have saved a lot of messes :blushing:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And I bet you wished you hadn't :bigsmile:
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Another vote for diva cup
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Use a super plus instead of a super.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    So, I just looked up the diva cup, and now I want to vomit :( man... im grossed out. :sick:

let it be known I saw graphic photo's.... thought I bet it does work well.. but, something about dumping my ... er nvm.. I'm grossed out yet , I would so buy one. LMAO
  • ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options

OMG. LMAO. I can't breathe, lol

On a serious note, Tampax has an Ultra size which is more than the Super Plus which works really well. No leaks if you have a super heavy flow.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Diva Cup! Best thing ever!