A little intimidating...

Options
Greetings one and all!

So I was told by my doctor to make "lifestyle changes," my weight loss is no longer just to look better it has now reached the health issue level, and I must say it sounds kind of close to impossible. I am intimidated by the prospect of having to change my life. Knowing I have to change the way I do things, and even the way I think in some respects is more than a little terrifying.

I always made excuses but when I realized going up one set of stairs in my home left me nearly winded (and one flight of stairs left me REALLY winded) I had to face the hard facts and realize I have run out of excuses its time for action. My journey begins tomorrow. My legs are shaking and I'm nervous but I'm just going to try to keep putting one foot in front of the other and hopefully before I know it I'll turn around and find out I've made up quite a distance, heh.

Let's see where this goes!

Replies

• kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to a great place. Most people on here are incredibly supportive. You're making a great change for yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey there.

just set some smaller goal and work towards those.

maybe some shot term goals can be to lose 15 pounds, walk 60 minutes non stop, hold a 60 second plank, do 10 push ups, eat 5 servings of veggies a day etc.

once you reach those goals then you make a few more.
  • Kitsune12
    Kitsune12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was in your shoes exactly one week ago. I took the plunge, both feet first, and am now going into the first weigh in tomorrow. The first few days were difficult, just like any change is difficult. It got easier and now, I didn't even finish all my dinner tonite! I recommend downloading the mobile app if your phone has that option. It makes it easy to make good food decisions on the fly.

Best of luck, we can all do this!
  • BatWoman2012
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight but wasn't overly motivated to do so but I heard about this site and joined up. Once I started logging my food and seeing how badly I did eat (especially since I thought I was already eating pretty good) it has really got me into healthy eating. I can't believe how many foods I thought were healthy but aren't. There are lots of ways to have food that feels like junk but is pretty healthy for you. Just don't deprive yourself. It's all about balance and portion control. Make sure to get lots of veggies and fruit ( I only eat once piece of fruit a day). Plus drinking water helps in soooo many ways.

I'd never go back to eating the way I used too. I have learnt a lot from this site. Good luck :)
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    welcome, you have found the right place. this place has so many wonderful people which offer encouragement along the way.
  • mustbeamiracle
    Options
    Your profile picture is a great start! Love it. I agree with the other posts. It takes courage to say the things you did. We're here rooting for you :flowerforyou:
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place. It's hard to take the first step but you've already done that!

When I started, I had to take a break every 10 minutes when I was getting ready for work. I got so tired. I spent most of my time in bed. I could only stay on the Eliptical for 5 minutes and that was almost impossible. My blood pressure was through the roof and I was at risk for a heart attack. My blood test was a mess.

That was in Jaunary. Today I can make it 45 minutes on the Eliptical and I can clean my 3800 SF house in one day if I have to. My blood pressure is better than great and my blood test was almost perfect.

You're going to get there. Take one step at a time and be nice to yourself. It's so worth it!

I'm sending you a huge hug. You can do this! Friend me if you need a friend for your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Best of luck- you can do this- one step at a time- just make little changes at first and keep going-don't let setbacks throw you just start over- break it down into slow steps- add supportive friends- track eveything that you put in your mouth- start some sort of exercise plan- YOU CAN DO THIS if the rest of us can so can you there is no magic secert just hard work and sticking to it

you will be amazing
  • BLSBoyer
    BLSBoyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Just focus on one day at a time... I am several months into it and that's how I have handled it :) Add me as a friend if you like, I try to be as upbeat, optimistic, and motivating as possible!

17816880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Ive found a lot of supportive people on this site. Its nice to have friends that encourage you. My one piece of advice would be that when you stumble and think you've totally screwed up, just remember that tomorrow is a new day and a new set of calories. We've all had our share of stumbles so dont worry.

I sent you a friend request so we can encourage each other. Good luck.
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you, although I got to the point I had to do up my pants and pull them up over my large......seat. Just take it one day at a time and don't get discouraged.

You'll enjoy yourself on this site most people are rather entertaining and for a good laugh read the forums you never know where the crazies will take you. :happy:
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    Welcome! This place is really a great support system whether you are trying to lose 5 lbs or 200 lbs. It totally changed my life, and I've been on for only a couple months.

Not only does this site help create a wonderful support system, I've found that here is where lifestyle changes are made just by being aware of what we could do to help our bodies. It's amazing and I cannot preach enough about what is possible with this site.

Good luck on your journey, and I'm always here for support! :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Oh wow you sounded like me 2 years ago when my doctor told me to lose weight & change my lifestyle because of my PCOS, diabetes & then they newly diagnosed hypertension. I understand this can be intimidating especially if you're not ready to get out of your comfort zone but you know what, in the end you'll realize that its all worth it.

Anyway just start things slowly & do not overwhelm yourself by making big changes. The doctor told me to exercise 5-6 days a week but since I wasn't used to exercising so I started out working out at home 3 days a week while cutting off liquid calories & junk foods. Then as I got used to this I upped my workout days while also cutting back refined carbs (can't totally eliminate it since I'm in Asia where rice is the star) & so on. Set mini-goals every month instead of thinking to lose 50 pounds in a year.

Please keep in mind that you'll eventually experience a plateau wherein there will be no change in weight at all. If this happens don't get frustrated. In order to fix that, you need to either up the intensity or workout days. This happens as we get smaller & fitter because there will be changes in our BMR (basal metabolic rate) or the amounts calories that our body burns at rest & also is the minimal calorie requirement needed by our body to function. One more important thing is to know your BMR & TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) & make sure to eat either within or better above your BMR but about 250 cals less than your TDEE.

Also there will be weight fluctuations or even gains because of many factors such as water retention, muscle gain (you'll experience beginner's gain during the first few weeks of your training thus replacing fat with muscle which may hinder the scale going down while making your clothes fit better), TOM etc. Again if it happens don't despair because those are only temporary gains.
  • MrsLeibas
    MrsLeibas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this!! Just start telling yourself "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!" and before you know it you will have reached your first small goal. And that's the key, start with something small and as you can cross one accomplishment off your list add one slightly hard goal to the list.

This is a great site and the community on here is for the most part very supportive. Look to others to help you, guide you and support you. But most of all IGNORE those who aren't willing to support you in this challenging lifestyle change.

I'm not 100% there yet, but every day I work towards being a better me.

You will find plenty of friends and supporters here. Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hello and congrats on deciding to change your life!

Feel free to add me as I'm on here every day! I enjoy motivating with others!

Also, please check this out. This may help with the overwhelming aspect of change as it is not as complicated as you may think!

http://examine.com/faq/

This will help with any fads, and myths. Many many many fads and myths are spread around this forum. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. If I get specific here, the trolls and bro-scientists tend to get offended and like to start arguments and tell other people they are wrong regardless of anything. I likely won't be returning to you're thread because of that.

Anyhow, congrats on a new lifestyle! I hope you have the best kind of success!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You can definitely lose the weight using this site. Making lifestyle changes can be daunting, but it can be less so if you start small and add changes as you go. My advice to you:
    1. Really start looking at portion sizes. When I first joined, I quickly found this had been my downfall. Measure everything and if you can, weigh it.
    2. Try to stay within the number of calories MFP recommends. If you can do that, you will lose weight.
    3. Remember that you're human. We all have good and bad days. One piece of advice that was given to me is that if you find you go over one day, look at your food average over a full week - overeating a little on one day won't reverse the good you've done on the 6 previous days. Don't let it derail you.
    4. You didn't become overweight overnight. You won't become skinny overnight. Patience is the hardest part of this. Just keep your eye on the prize and set mini goals that are attainable.

Good luck!
  • Mirror_Mirror
    Options
    Wow I must say I am very happily surprised by all of the support everyone here has offered me. It really is amazing and inspiring to hear all of your words of advice and encouragement. Thank you for taking time out of your day to say a few kind words to me. You all have helped to me to start of on the right foot.

Thank you again! You are all wonderful and amazing people!
  • RichardCMolloy
    RichardCMolloy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good for you...You've taken the first step. All that I can say is to take it slow & be safe. I set my goal a modest one (1 to 1.5 lbs a week). I know myself, If I set it higher, I could have lost the weight but I would have gained it all back. When I first set that goal...truthfully I didn' think that I was ever going to reach it. Even though I still have a ways to go, I believe that I will reach it & I'm wondering if I should lower it by another 15 lbs!

I'm trying for a life style change, not just weight loss. Smaller portions, drinking more water, avaoding eating late & going to the gym. For me, the old saying "slow & steady wins the race" is so true.

One of the things that I love is the app for the phone. By using this, it helps me eat better in the future. I'll admit it that i don't use it before I go out & eat. I'll enter the info later & say "What???? That desert was 1700 calories!!!!!" but then I know for the next time. I'm never ordering that again lol

Just stay focused, take it easy but still don't forget to live. If you cut everything out & coult every calorie & never give yourself a treat or a few bad days, you may fail at the weight loss. I know that I would.

On that note...time to drink my tea. Have a great day, good luck & feel free to add me as a friend if you want.