Body Distortion?

Options
I'm not sure if that is what you call it... Does anyone have the problem of being thinner than you were before, but you don't really see yourself differently? Even though I have lost 51 lbs total, I still feel the same size as I was before when I look in the mirror. My clothes fit differently and all that, but I look in the mirror and don't look like I have lost a single pound.

I'd like to hear from other people who have similar experiences or anyone who has gotten over it.

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    No matter what I weigh I always think my stomach looks like Homer Simpson...
  • jb140
    jb140 Posts: 29
    Options
    I concur...I have been 40 lbs thinner and still didn't see myself as "thin". I always gravitated toward what I deemed my flaws. Now that I'm 40 lbs heavier again and look back at pictrures of myself...I can't believe I was so critical of myself!!!
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    i would honestly say I don't notice a huge difference between 180 and 150. My arms are more defined but everything else looks the same. I know I'm smaller but everything is shrinking proportionally.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. lol.
    I look in the mirror and think I look good, then I see a picture of myself and realize I'm not nearly as thin as I think I am.

But yes, I've lost 20 pounds in the last 2 years yet somehow look exactly the same.
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think I somewhat feel the same way that I always think I look find until I see a picture, but recently I lost 25 pounds and I feel like my body looks exactly the same. I know it is not but I feel like it is.
  • Moeincognito
    Moeincognito Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm down 62 pounds and I have really bad days where I feel as huge as when I started, it's a terrible feeling and I have no idea how to beat it orz.
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad habit of only seeing the parts I don't like and not noticing the positive changes until someone else mentions it.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    There's a picture of me when I was 15. I weighed probably 150 pounds. In my head I was the same size as I was when I was 200 heavier.

I can tell the difference in pictures, but honestly I have never felt anything but fat.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Take pictures periodically!

Either every 5 pounds...every other week...every 10 pounds and look at them often. I have a private (open to a select few who are trying to lose weight, too) FB photo album and look at the pictures often to see the progress I have made. It has helped me START to change that distorted image of myself.

You'll get there!
  • melanielupien
    melanielupien Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. lol.
    I look in the mirror and think I look good, then I see a picture of myself and realize I'm not nearly as thin as I think I am.

But yes, I've lost 20 pounds in the last 2 years yet somehow look exactly the same.

I agree, I feel thin and then see a picture of me and well... I don't look as thin as I feel. My total weight lose goal is only 17 pounds ( I have 2.6 left to lose) and I feel that I still look the same.

18974170.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Well I think you look great! Congratulations on nearly meeting your goal. It's tough losing weight when you're already so little.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as Body Dysmorphic, I've lost like... 75lbs and still see the 285lb girl in the mirror every day.
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I've had that for years. I look at myself and see someone rather large, and when I see pictures of my from when I was at the same weight I am now, but two years ago, for a second I see someone very different then the way I look in the mirror. Its rather scary sometimes.

But- everyone else notices the weight change before I do, it could be that since you see yourself everyday, you don't really notice the change yet, but you will! :)

EDIT: Just looked at your pictures. I see a big difference! You look amazing!! Congratulations. You'll see it soon! :)
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I weigh 118 now & most days I pick myself apart in the mirror & think I am fat. So yup I think lots of people have this issue :/ really frustrating.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    I concur...I have been 40 lbs thinner and still didn't see myself as "thin". I always gravitated toward what I deemed my flaws. Now that I'm 40 lbs heavier again and look back at pictrures of myself...I can't believe I was so critical of myself!!!

yeah, when I was 30 lbs lighter I looked in the mirror and saw myself like I was as fat as I am now, and now I look back at those pictures and I can't believe I didnt realize how thin I was
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    For me, I tend to look at my body more positively when I am exercising & gaining strength compared to just losing weight. I'm not sure if I can actually see physical differences or if I just believe they exist because I can now do things I use to not be able to (like run, lift, do sit ups, push ups etc).

But I don't think I have an actual positive point of view regarding to my own physical apperance, so I know if it's just losing weight or fitting into other clothes, I still won't see the change or think it's 'up there' in terms of anything. To me physical ability is important, so I try to use accomplishments in that to change my outlook on my physical body.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Everyone tells me I'm "thin" but I look in the mirror and see someone who is overweight and unsightly. Sigh...
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, no matter what I lose, I still feel huge and haven't lost anything.
    but hearing responses from people I have not seen in months say things like "Wow!, is that really you?" does give a good feeling, because if I cannot tell that I am losing weight, they definitely can.
  • brittneyceleste
    brittneyceleste Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think its called body dysmorphic disorder or something... I read about it when i was younger and though it was a bunch of crap. but then i grew up with my stepmother and sister calling me fat as i went through puberty, and i was always depressed and thought i was too fat for cute clothes or boys or any of that other stuff teenagers care about.

now i am 19 and i see pictures of me when i was younger, and i literally did not have an inch of fat on me. others would tell me i wasnt fat, but i knew i was. i thought i was just being honest with myself. its really scary to know that i literally dont see what everyone else sees when i look in the mirror.