What's the scoop on peanut butter?

Options
2»

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate dreams (dark chocolate peanut butter from peanut butter & company) has saved my *kitten*.. I love chocolate, and this is a good way for me to get some with the satiety of peanut butter. It's all natural, according to the company, but honestly I don't really care, it's delicious. I eat it on literally anything... tortillas, strawberries/bananas/apples, waffles, a spoon... it's amazing.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is great for you provided you're actually eating real peanut butter. Ditch the Jif and go with an all natural variety with one ingredient: peanuts (and maybe salt, if you prefer). The fat in peanut butter is healthy fat (which you need in your diet) and yes, there is protein in it which is also good for you.

You do have to watch your portion control, but a tablespoon of peanut butter is great for me in a bowl of oatmeal, since it keeps me nice and full for a long time.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 tablespoons of Jiff Creamy Natural Peanut Butter almost every day. It's my after workout snack. I put it on some crisps, or a piece of 12 grain toast.

I plan my day ahead of time. It helps me add in my fave snack and I can make sure my food is balanced.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate dreams (dark chocolate peanut butter from peanut butter & company) has saved my *kitten*.. I love chocolate, and this is a good way for me to get some with the satiety of peanut butter. It's all natural, according to the company, but honestly I don't really care, it's delicious. I eat it on literally anything... tortillas, strawberries/bananas/apples, waffles, a spoon... it's amazing.

That stuff is amazing. I like the white chocolate one even better!
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I will never be able to give up peanut butter, especially crunchy jiff (:
    Mmmmmm. I always fit PB into my day, seems to satisfy my cravings. If I don't allow myself it I've noticed it tends to lead to crazy
    Peanut butter binges..

With that being said, I eat PB almost everyday & I've been losing and healthy
    I like the natural kind but I don't really mind if its the original.

(when I do have PB, I usually have a tblsp or 2 tops)
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    personally, i stay clear away from pB only because 2 tablespoons is not a lot. i thought i was logging 2 tablespoons correctly, (just took a actual spoon and dolloped my PB on whatever i was eating) but when i was using a measuring device i realized with horror that i was WAY off and probably doubling my serving every time! just be careful not to overdo it.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    but i do like trader joe's better than peanut butter PB! its only 100 cals a serving, 2 grams of fat. not high in protein, but it gets rid of my cravings :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    personally, i stay clear away from pB only because 2 tablespoons is not a lot. i thought i was logging 2 tablespoons correctly, (just took a actual spoon and dolloped my PB on whatever i was eating) but when i was using a measuring device i realized with horror that i was WAY off and probably doubling my serving every time! just be careful not to overdo it.

I had this same experience. I started weighing my spoonfuls, and what I thought was one TBSP was in reality two. I always weigh it now!
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get my PB fix with PB2 which is 1/2 the calories of regular PB.

I buy this too! Not as good as the real stuff but I can better fit this into my diet :-)
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nutrition facts:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet

http://www.bellplantation.com/products
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Some people have trouble getting all their calories. Calorie dense peanut butter is a great solution.
  • emkelly27
    emkelly27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like my peanut butter! i had no idea it was protien. or more fat based. i guss i will have to start trying that as a snak with something like apples and celery.. i used to eat peanut butter from the jar sometimes. not good but it tastes so good. ;)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's good if you are short on calories, or looking for something to make the full feeling stick. But too much quickly adds up to going over calories.

FWIW, I prefer dry roasted/raw almonds or other nuts (unsalted, not the canned kind) to peanut butter. Almonds and cashews are my favorite.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch just yesterday. Yummmmmmm. Enjoy the foods you love...especially ones that are good for you!
  • singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    pB2 is powdered peanut butter that has a fraction of the calories/fat of peanut butter.......It's not the same but it's not too bad either.

I agree... not quite the same but a good second!!!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    It is s good food if you have the self control to limit quantity - I only use crunchy with no oils, sugar added. It had health benefits and for some will fill you and reduce appetite.

read

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-11-06/health/cl.healthful.foods_1_peanut-butter-rice-cakes-source-of-trans-fats?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blppp.htm
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I always heard that peanut butter made a good snack...such as having it with celery or just eating it by itself. I was about to buy these little Jif peanut butter snack packs....well one snack pack is 250 cal...180 from fat. I guess my question is.. Peanut butter....is it a good addition to eating healthy or not. I am new to this "eating healthy" so if you have any other tips, please share :-)

yes it IS healthy but if you are on a calorie controlled diet,you might as well eat peanut M&m's...as you say, the calorie and fat content ( ok, it's ''good fat'') are just too high. It's also the first food people suggest for a protein boost...

I have a tablespoon of it in most of my breakfast shake mixes. (I do Body By Vi.) The recipes that don't have that bit of peanut butter in them are just not as filling for me.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Portion control is very important with peanut butter. It's easy to fool yourself with volume measures. Here are some things other people have suggested:

* Set digital scale to grams for more precision.

* Use the scales to calibrate spoon servings.

* Consider negative weighing: put the jar on the scale; zero the scale; watch the weight decrease as you spoon it out.