Deadlifts and weight belts = poor form?

Options
tobafa
tobafa Posts: 344 Member
I've thought if you can't deadlift without a belt, you shouldn't be lifting it. It has been since the 90s since I deadlifted so I'm curious if that's what you guys do? Going to start adding that so I'm curious.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Only been lifting about a year but I feel its a personal choice. I see a lot of guys do most of their lifting without belts and then wear one when they are going really heavy.

Nobody has perfect form every time.
  • dinerroll
    dinerroll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Only been lifting about a year but I feel its a personal choice. I see a lot of guys do most of their lifting without belts and then wear one when they are going really heavy.

Nobody has perfect form every time.

This. I've never used one, but I've only gone for a true max single once. While I didn't injure myself, I felt my poor form the next day. I'm cutting till memorial day and then going to work up to a 1RM test at the end of June. I plan to wear a belt that day. I can go 405x3x5 now. I hope to hit 500+x3x1 by end of June.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't use one for the lighter weights, and I'm not that fussed if I forget mine as a one off (I just won't do max weights)
    Most of the time I wear one.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I mix it up
    got up to 365 with no belt or straps this week
    then 405 with
    if you are going to use a belt it should only be for the higher weight sets.....my opinion anyway.....
    sometimes your hands crap out before you can really work your back....
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've thought if you can't deadlift without a belt, you shouldn't be lifting it. It has been since the 90s since I deadlifted so I'm curious if that's what you guys do? Going to start adding that so I'm curious.

I believe the general rule of thumb is to wear a belt when you're pulling weight in excess of 85% of your 1RM. I've started wearing one more recently around 90%.
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, folks.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted for reps with a belt, only for max testing. It helps with the valsalva maneuver. Other than that, it becomes a crutch. There's no need for it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You can contract harder against the belt than you can without wearing one. It's less of a cheating issue and more of a safety issue, it's useful for heavy weights, unnecessary for less heavy weights.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I've never lifted for reps with a belt, only for max testing. It helps with the valsalva maneuver. Other than that, it becomes a crutch. There's no need for it!

How does it become a crutch? I guess knee wraps are a crutch too?
  • johnnybutt76
    Options
    I used to be a powerlifter and I only used the belt on the heaviest of lifts. I would use the belt on any lift where the reps were 3 or less to fatigue. The belt gives support and the abdominal wall having pressure on it creates internal pressure and there by creating more stability.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I used to be a powerlifter and I only used the belt on the heaviest of lifts. I would use the belt on any lift where the reps were 3 or less to fatigue. The belt gives support and the abdominal wall having pressure on it creates internal pressure and there by creating more stability.

^
    This
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Very much this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    My belt helps me to keep from "pushing" my abs out. I only use them on my heavier lifts though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Razkler14
    Razkler14 Posts: 74
    Options
    I recently hurt my back... not dead lifting though over time maybe it had something to do with it, but I will be wearing one heavy or light just for the support. Though, before, yes I/we only wore a belt maxing out.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't hurt your form too much to use a belt, why risk injury?

The purpose of a belt is to push your abs into it and bring stability to your lower back.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

spot on
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

How does it become a crutch? I guess knee wraps are a crutch too?

Because then you aren't relying on your own abdominal wall to create pressure to support your spine. Anything that adds bounce/support/resistance against the weight can become a crutch. Personally I have always lifted raw, no point in wearing a 20-ply denim shirt that pulls my arms up for me when I'm benching.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You don't push your abs out against the belt (at least, you aren't supposed to do that.) A belt's true purpose is to support the Valsalva Maneuver. Even then, it's really only needed for max effort lifts, not supposed to be used every time you pick stuff up. I see the belt more as a backup harness while bungee jumping, it's not so much there to assist the movement, but for protection against a potential catastrophic collapse.

I don't even own a belt, because I'm nowhere near the point where I'd even consider needing one.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    You don't push your abs out against the belt (at least, you aren't supposed to do that.) A belt's true purpose is to support the Valsalva Maneuver. Even then, it's really only needed for max effort lifts, not supposed to be used every time you pick stuff up. I see the belt more as a backup harness while bungee jumping, it's not so much there to assist the movement, but for protection against a potential catastrophic collapse.

I don't even own a belt, because I'm nowhere near the point where I'd even consider needing one.

yes. During the valsalva, you're holding air in your stomach and pushing out against your belt to stabilize yourself.

@songbyrdsweet. It's not a crutch, it's safety. You eventually get to a point where you're just putting youself at risk. I can only pull in the mid 300s without a belt before my lower back starts feeling iffy. I can pull closer to 450 belted up. What do you think is going to benefit someones training more? The heavier lift.

. And I'm not even gonna get started on the lack of understanding about how gear works.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No belt...but again I am not going for max weight...my husband, a recovering power lifter, generally used a belt on max only...