chewing gum

Options
RisiM
RisiM Posts: 180 Member
When you have the 'munchies' does chewing gum help or make you more hungry - views please

Replies

• zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    It doesn't exactly keep me from feeling hungry, but it keeps my mouth occupied during times when I might be prone to snack out of bordem. As a plus side, chewing peppermint gum keeps me from wanting to eat because food just taste funny when your mouth is coated in peppermint.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I chew gum when I'm baking for the kids or preparing their PB sandwiches so I don't dive in and lick the spoon. Just gives my mouth something flavorful while my nose is being intoxicated with yummy smells.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Makes me hungrier, and makes my stomach rumble!
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    Yeah it's not good to chew it if you are acctually hungry, it can make you more hungry due to your body thinking it's getting food and then there are no calories (like with diet drinks) and this is why it makes your belly rumble as it's trying to diegst your saliva (eew), so only chew it when your just trying to combat that "eating for the sake of it" feeling.
  • LaceyCwell
    LaceyCwell Posts: 45
    Options
    Chewing Gum makes me not think of food honestly. Im always chewing gum throughout the day.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's not good to chew it if you are acctually hungry, it can make you more hungry due to your body thinking it's getting food and then there are no calories (like with diet drinks) and this is why it makes your belly rumble as it's trying to diegst your saliva (eew), so only chew it when your just trying to combat that "eating for the sake of it" feeling.

Your ticker is making me hungry. Lol.

I have the same experience as zoodalia though. It makes me hungrier. These days, instead of chewing gum, I'll reach for some plain nuts & a 0% yoghurt. It may put me ever so slightly over my calorie goal, but I combat that by taking a longer (or brisker) walk when I take the dog out, or by running that extra 5 minutes, or doing an extra set of unloaded squats.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It makes me hungery... Not sure why...
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I chew it after a meal in a restaurant cuz it keeps me from going back to entree food.
    I will chew it after lunch at work to keep me from going to vending machines.

I bascially chew it to get over the hump..

I eat every two to three hours so its never a hunger thing.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the few that it actually helps keep the hunger at bay. I usually pop in a piece when I've had my last snack around 4-ish and I work until 8-ish. Dinner would be another 30-45 minutes from there. It helps keep my stomach from grumbling all the way home which can be dangerous as it makes me want to just stop at a drive-thru on the way home! I'm always glad when I've made it home without that extra stop. :)
  • Presley0381
    Presley0381 Posts: 88
    Options
    If I eat it on an empty stomach it makes me hungry. But it helps when I'm craving sweets. I have Extra Dessert Delights Apple Pie and Orange Creme Pop in my purse right now and always lol.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    Totally helps especially when I'm wanting something sweet
    you just pick a flavour that appeals to you and it for the most part makes
    my cravings go away. If you are actually hungry though of course you
    should eat but if its just cravings you're fighting go for it.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Makes me hungrier, and makes my stomach rumble!

This!
  • millarabello
    Options
    It helps me cheat my sweets craving!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Gum is good for three reasons:

(1) Burns approximately 11 calories per hour.

(2) Strengthens your jaw making you less susceptible to having your jaw broke in a bare knuckle boxing match.

(3) You can use it to stop fuel leaks in emergency situations(see movie: The Rocketeer).

That's about it.