Help! Daily self-sabotage! I can't keep up

Options
Since changing to a healthier lifestyle I've begun bingeing! (I know, oxymoron, right?) I never binged before, but now I do almost every night.
I eat very healthily during the day - taking only fruits and vegetables and a small staple (potato, bread, brown rice, etc) to school and drinking about 1.8L of ONLY water before I get home. But then about an hour after I get home I've started at the cake, or the biscuits, or the chocolate. I dont' even necessarily like cake and chocolate, and I feel so bad physically and mentally afterwards.
I've started planning small meals to have when I get home (bowl of cereal, sandwich, etc) but it doesn't help! Apparently the sweets aren't hunger-fuelled.
Recently the guilt is so bad afterwards that I force myself to exercise (good) or feel like vomiting (bad). I know a lot about both bingeing and starving eating disorders and I'm very scared of both types.
I'm scared of my self sabotage I really need help with some strategies to ending my after school bingeing. TIPS?

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    you are restricting too much. you need to get some healthy fats and some more carbs into your diet that will make you feel fuller and sustain your diet.

the reason why you are binging is because your body is craving sustinance.

make sure you are having a big breakfast with lots of protein - i.e. eggs etc, and a decent lunch, and a hot dinner that keeps you full.

straight after dinner, brush your teeth and do not eat. if you have eaten enough in the day you won't need to binge at night.
    i used to have this problem too. create a section in your food diary on here that is called 'after dinner binges' like me, so that you are more aware of it. you can beat it.

and don't resort to purging, it's ridiculously bad for you in every way and will force you toward a slippery bulimic slope.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Best way to avoid it is to get it out of the house.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    you are restricting too much. you need to gete some healthy fats and some more carbs into your diet that will make you feel fuller and sustain your diet.

Also, this ^

Fat is your friend. It keeps you full, keeps your brain functioning, and makes everything look healthy!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you are restricting too much. you need to gete some healthy fats and some more carbs into your diet that will make you feel fuller and sustain your diet.

Yeah, this.
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster, it sounds like too much restriction, this is a life style change not a diet and you need to be able to sustain it for ever and i'm sure at some point in the future you will want to eat cake/sweets/crisps/etc.

How many calories are you having and how much are you trying to lose.

I use my exercise calories for me treats and i don't feel guilty. (Small disclaimer: I am only 2 weeks into this)
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    You aren't eating enough during the day! You are restricting too much during the day, and then eating whatever is available to you in the evening to try and compensate for the lack of food.

Try the idea of six small meals (200+ calories each) every day - make sure one of them is "breakfast" (eaten within a reasonable time after getting out of bed!). Plan them in advance, and pack things to take with you.

If your body is "satisfied" during the day, you won't have the psychological urge to eat so much in the evening.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Do you eat breakfast before school? You may be restricting your diet to much. I also find complex grains keep me fuller longer. Also if the temptation isn't in the house they you don't eat it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    What everyone else is saying. Where are your proteins? Where are your fats? Your sodium?

Honestly, based on what you've written about your overly-strict diet and your desire to purge, I'm worried for you. It sounds an awful lot like you have some control issues, which are often the basis for eating disorders. Please consider whether this rings true for you, and see a dietitian and/or mental health professional if needed.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but the only eating fruits, vegetables and one starch is setting off bells.
  • zhanaolivia
    zhanaolivia Posts: 65
    Options
    What everyone else is saying. Where are your proteins? Where are your fats? Your sodium?

Honestly, based on what you've written about your overly-strict diet and your desire to purge, I'm worried for you. It sounds an awful lot like you have some control issues, which are often the basis for eating disorders. Please consider whether this rings true for you, and see a dietitian and/or mental health professional if needed.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but the only eating fruits, vegetables and one starch is setting off bells.

Oh, please don't worry! I would never purge or do anything unsafe. For one, I'm terrified of vomit, and haven't since I can remember. I meant that my stomach was so full - which is not a comfortable experience anymore since I've become more food aware.
    I'm also not overly strict. For breakfast I had a piece of toast with light cream cheese spread and a poached egg, then for morning tea and lunch I had a giant apple, half a cucumber (I just hate cucumbers so I don't have much), a carrot, some cauliflower, 100g of plain greek yoghurt with some protein powder in it, and some roast potatoes and sweet potatoes with gravy. Then I got home, had my afternoon tea (bowl of cereal), and then about 20 mins later just binged on sweets.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    Thank you, everyone.
    Tomorrow I'll try upping my healthy fats and proteins. Stick in some avocados and oats and stuff.
    Wish me luck!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Oh, please don't worry! I would never purge or do anything unsafe. For one, I'm terrified of vomit, and haven't since I can remember. I meant that my stomach was so full - which is not a comfortable experience anymore since I've become more food aware.
    I'm also not overly strict. For breakfast I had a piece of toast with light cream cheese spread and a poached egg, then for morning tea and lunch I had a giant apple, half a cucumber (I just hate cucumbers so I don't have much), a carrot, some cauliflower, 100g of plain greek yoghurt with some protein powder in it, and some roast potatoes and sweet potatoes with gravy. Then I got home, had my afternoon tea (bowl of cereal), and then about 20 mins later just binged on sweets.

Okay, I'm glad to hear it. I read "only eating fruits, vegetables, and one starch" and my mind translates it into "refusing to eat anything with fat in it." :) Advice about fats and proteins still stands, though.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options

Okay, I'm glad to hear it. I read "only eating fruits, vegetables, and one starch" and my mind translates it into "refusing to eat anything with fat in it." :) Advice about fats and proteins still stands, though.

Of course not! To be honest, I'd rather fats over sugar any day, only sweets are so much easier and cheaper to get. You'll be pleased to know I've added more fats to my meal plan tomorrow. Starting with avocado in the mornings, and some cheddar cheese for lunch (among other foods, of course). Thank you for your concern and advice. MFP support is so nice.
  • aspenwind
    aspenwind Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try forcing yourself to enter your food in your diary before you eat it. The extra couple min of thinking time and seeing the amount that it's going to push you over might help.