struggling with self control and my diet!

Options
I wanted to see if anyone else is going through the same thing. I have all the motivation in the world to loose weight and I want to eat healthier to loose weight but to also generally feel healthier, but I struggle when it comes to self control. I pretty much have no self control, I'll tell myself I'll only eat a piece of fruit between lunch and dinner and I end up binging on nutella and toast.
I keep making promises to myself but not sticking to them. Or I'll have one or two good days where I stick to the goals I set for myself but then on the third I'll end up binging again.

I know they say you can have 'bad foods' in moderation etc but I can't just stop at one piece of chocolate. I can't have any small bit of 'bad food' without it turning into a binge.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to combat self control and binging??

Replies

• sbj1993
    sbj1993 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand!! For me what works (though it may seem counterintuitive) is to give in a little. If I want a sweet snack in the afternoon, I have one. Then I can control what I have more. For example, if you want nutella and toast, could you try a banana with lowfat peanut butter? Then you're eating what is good for you and getting the sweetness you want without getting too far off track!

Also, what's been helpful for me is to limit how much I try to plan ahead. Each day is different and you're going to have different hunger needs. Listen to your body and feed it when you're hungry, it's the best way to go!

Hope this helps!
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like that, too!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I found a book called 'The Beck diet solution'. It is cognitive approach to losing weight. I found it incredibly helpful. I have gone three weeks now and I am still consistent. It helps you learn how to deal with yourself. It is an incredibly easy and short read and I highly recommend it.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating at least your BMR in calories every day. That should help with the binging because you'll have more energy and feel full most of the time.

Adding just a tablespoon of peanut butter with your fruit may help. Or, having one piece of toast with nutella and your fruit. Just work it into your calorie goal.

It's tough...if you have a drinking addiction - stopping drinking is the answer, same with drugs or cigs...but food doesn't work that way...we have to continue to eat.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm not sure if my experience is relevant but thought I'd share. First off, it could be emotional eating. Try to check how you are feeling when you cheat yourself, maybe keep a diary of your thoughts and feelings. Also, I put motivational quotes above my bed, quotes I truly believe in, so that I do not trick myself into going against my goals. Finally, it could be some type of self-sabotage. I have been known to make poor food choices just because I CAN, like just to press boundaries and revolt against my diet. It sounds silly but it really is true and it's a form of self-denial. You have to believe you are worth it to be healthy. It may help to visit a therapist or a nutritionist (I did when I was considering gastric) because there are REASONS people binge or eat unhealthy food and it may have to do with stress from outside sources or a difficult upbringing. Best of luck to you!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, if you eat more exercise more...just get out and move at night! Sooner or later you'll find that the work that you put into workouts will far out weigh your urges for food.

Let us know in 2 weeks.....
  • twelbies
    twelbies Posts: 31
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. What helps me is only buying foods I can eat guilt free, like veggies and fruits. Also I try to eat light/clean until dinner. Lots of water all day long.
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This was (and still is) my biggest issue. So many people in the US binge-eat and eat emotionally...with all the poor food choices, ads, and habits around us (the US pretty much pioneered the idea of eating while watching movies), it's not surprising that food gives so many of us some sense of control or temporary satisfaction when things fall apart. I've had my fair share of zombie-like binge-eating out of a cereal box, container of chocolate, etc.

A few things:

-Get that nutella out of your house. I know everybody says this, but few people follow through.

-Catch yourself in the moment of emotional eating. Ask yourself why you feel happy/excited/calm when you're eating...if you really think about this, it doesn't really make sense!

-Know that coping mechanisms/old habits/whatever the issues are don't die overnight. It took me months to even start getting over binge eating. I still haven't completely gotten over it, but believe me when I say it gets a LOT easier with time. Even with screw-ups.

Best of luck! Don't give up, no matter what...believe me, it's worth it :)
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Why do you eat it? Are you eating for boredom, comfort or pure hunger? I have to have snack stuff in the house for the families lunches, but I find that if my main meals are healthy and low cal, then i can work in a snack or 2 and not wreck my diet.
  • 4rgl
    4rgl Posts: 106
    Options
    I used to have the same problem and if you are only binging on sweets I don't think it's an issue of self control. Well maybe it is in part, but I believe you might be addicted to sugar. More specifically an addiction to refined/processed sugars.
  • bitter_sentiment
    bitter_sentiment Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the supportive feedback! I'll deffinitley see if I can find that book 'The Beck diet solution'.

I've been trying to work out why I've been binging. I know I'm not hungry when I do. I think it's almost my way of procrastinating. I'm currently studying and have such a high workload it just gets overwhelming and I'm sick of doing homework. I think I eat as a way of putting off doing my study...which is so stupid because it's not helping anyone...I'm getting further behind in my work and I'm putting on weight.
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. There's certain things that I know I just can't ever have again because I will binge and I'm okay with that. And I'm still a binger, but it's just not on "those" foods now. Everybody has trigger foods, knowing what your's are will help you. But there's a big difference between binging on a food and just mindlessly snacking on that food while your studying. The best advice i can give you is that if you can't eat it responsibly, don't buy it.
  • olmstea
    olmstea Posts: 9
    Options
    I have the same problem and it's killing me. :frown:

What works for me is to be almost obsessive in documenting my food and sticking to it. I get rid of all the 'extras' in my pantry and just buy exactly what I need for the week. This prevents me from binging on bad stuff because it's just not around.

The other thing I have to do is stay very active. I will do just about anything to not go home and eat. I'll walk at the mall, read a book at the park or even go to a movie (no snacks) just to not sit there bored and eating at home.

I realize it's kind of mental, but it works for me. :flowerforyou: