I need a work out routine.

Options
I am very new to the gym. 32yr female 5'5 SW 165, CW 153, GW 135. Can someone please tell me a work out program I should be doing. I've looked all over the internet but it is just really confusing. I have never been a gym member before so this is all very new to me. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help with a specific routine!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cheermom614
    cheermom614 Posts: 97
    Options
    There is a website and app call JEFit.com. You can build a workout based on body parts. It's pretty cool and very helpful.
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i was the same way a few months ago. i signed up for a free training session with the gym's personal trainer. he showed me a variety of routines, and took the fear out of most of the gym. congrats on joining!
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I bought New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I love the routines! On my "off" days, I walk my dog or do some kind of cardio at the gym or at home. I feel stronger and, honestly, I feel like a Bad *kitten* lifting weights. My hubby goes with me sometimes and yesterday he actually said (as I am loading a bar), "remember to take it easy on your poor weak husband." lol.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey Amanda :)

Isn´t there good personal at your gym to show you how to do? If not.....leave it and look for an other one.
    If you just start workout at a gym it´s important to do it right. And if it hurts, stop it!

Sure there are some good books but to have someone near you, to have a look, is much better.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i have "New Rules" as well. Loved the book and plan on starting the work outs after vacation!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hit is a great cardio program. it is the sprint jog walk thing folks are doing one the tread mill. you can do an incline version and just walk until you get use to the tread mill. it is real fun on the elliptical too. ask a trainer to program one in for you, they have codes at the desk.

And set up an appointment with them. The free consultation thing is worth taking advantage off. they will show how to use things, most of the time they will show you the machines but now they are starting back with straight weights. do this and you will feel more confidence when you use the machines.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a program done by a personal trainer if you can. Usually PT's do it free as apart of the membership (at least at mine they do every 6-8 weeks).

Tell them what your goals are, what you enjoy doing and they can work out a good program for you, and show you how to use the machines. It's important to know what you're doing to prevent injuries and maximize results. good luck!
  • nvestli
    nvestli Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I would recommend going along to a few group classes, maybe try some aerobics or zumba or if you fancy a challenge, a bikes class? Also most gyms have a free-PT session or at least initial programme set-up so found out what they offer.

Just ask at your gym and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I find that though I am often scared to ask for help from the very scary looking people working at my gym, when I do they are really helpful and nice!

Good luck
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As a beginner I don't recommend creating your own routine. Pick an existing one (as I'm sure you've seen, there are lots of them out there). I like compound lifts, but if you'd rather stick with the machines until your more comfortable with the weights, that's fine too.

As a beginner, I also suggest a couple of sessions with a trainer to help you with form/technique. Once you have the form down, you can do the sessions on your own, but it's a whole lot easier to learn good from from the start than it is to try to correct bad from down the road.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    As a beginner I don't recommend creating your own routine. Pick an existing one (as I'm sure you've seen, there are lots of them out there). I like compound lifts, but if you'd rather stick with the machines until your more comfortable with the weights, that's fine too.

As a beginner, I also suggest a couple of sessions with a trainer to help you with form/technique. Once you have the form down, you can do the sessions on your own, but it's a whole lot easier to learn good from from the start than it is to try to correct bad from down the road.

all of this.
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input everyone! I appreciate your time responding! :flowerforyou: