Does a good pair of running shoes really make a difference?

Options
petemeep
petemeep Posts: 62 Member
Right now I'm running in my everyday puma tennis shoes I bought awhile back. They seem to work fine I haven't had any pain or anything with them. However I got a $100 for a gift and am thinking of using it to buy new running shoes do they really make a difference in your running?

Replies

• aspethe
    aspethe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes.. go to a specialty running store and buy shoes there
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!

I was running in a pair of New Balance running shoes and my feet were hurting after every run. I went and got fitted at the local Footworks and learned a lot. They videotaped me running and showed me exactly how I move, I have low arches and I over-pronate. They had me try on several different shoes, and I went with Brooks Ghost, a wonderful shoe that my feet love!
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    YES..absolutely!!

They are so much more comfortable PLUS after you drop all that money on them you are more motivated to use them!!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, personally, if your current shoes work and you don't have pain, and you're not trying to competitively race, I think you'd be fine waiting until your current shoes wear out.

I highly recommend getting fitted for good shoes if you're just starting or if you're having any kind of pain. But if your shoes work and are comfortable, I would just wait until they wear out.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I'm in the same situation, started running using my ONLY trainers (running shoes) I own, I want to invest in a new pair but I don't wanna get ripped off or, more importantly, have a nice sparkley pair on shoes I can't run in.

I only want to spend abot £30/£40 at the moment.
  • prsusa38
    prsusa38 Posts: 29
    Options
    Yes they do make a huge difference. Plus remember you only want to put so many miles on them when running....then I use my old shoes for yard work, etc.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't let them put you in motion control shoes.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba and I've noticed that the shoes do make a difference (cross-trainers seem to work well since the Zumba or dance sneaker type shoe does not seem to have the arch support).

Also, when you have the right shoe (I'm an Adidas fan) it saves your back, hips, and knees. Worth spending the $$ to have a shoe that does not screw up all that other stuff when you are running!!!
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think they do, but they have to be the right shoe for you. The key is to go to a store that specializes in running shoes. You may want to check with local runners to see what stores in your area have a good reputation. They'll probably watch you walk barefoot to determine how much support you need. Then they should tell you if you need neutral or stability or one of the other styles I can't think of right now.

Now that I know I'm neutral, I can just walk into any running store and look for the neutral shoes (hopefully clearly labeled). They tend to keep a style for years and just update it, which is nice because you can have some confidence that they'll fit the same (but not always).

And you don't have to pay a fortune. I've never paid over 90 and have even gotten some great deals. Like when the model shoe I wear gets updated for a new year, I can sometimes get leftovers of last year's cheap on-line.

I also think the fancy running shoes are generally lighter.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    They make all the difference.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yep, worth it.

Personally, I get all kinds of leg pain and feet issues if I don't have the right pair.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    Yes it make a big difference! You need to get fitted at a local running store. The wrong shoes can increase the change of getting injured. Don't forget to track your mileage since typical running shoes are only good for 300 miles or so.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yes! And now that I've been running awhile, I can even tell when it's time to get new shoes.

Good running shoes are worth the investment. :smile:
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep, worth it.

Personally, I get all kinds of leg pain and feet issues if I don't have the right pair.

^^^This. Shoes don't usually cost that much more and you get tons of benefits.
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I get fitted at a local running store. Once I know what shoe to get, when I need to replace them I go to the discount stores and get the same shoe for cheaper.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I run in Asics. For years I was a slave to the Adidas brand, but my Asics have been my most comfortable running shoes ever - even to the point where I have circled the block to go home and change into my Asics when I have tried to run or walk in something else.

They are releasing a set of new styles June 8.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    100% (:

When I first started running I was using a pair of Skecher Tone Ups and they gave me shin splints :/

Get a good pair if you can(: I recommend Brooks, Asics or Sauconys for running(:

I have a pair of Asics GT-2160's and I love them(: I use an insole for a little extra cushion. I've run in Saucony's before and they're great(: and some of my runner friends have Brooks and love them! (: (though I've never used them before)
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    After you've been properly fitted for real running shoes in your size that correct or continue to neutralize your step, you will understand the need for good running shoes.

I love my Brooks Ghosts!!!
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yes, definitely.