Question about surgery

Options
ArroganceInStep
ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
So there's bypass and lapband that are generally done in extreme situations. Why isn't liposuction done in those cases? I recognize that it does nothing for the hunger urges, but beyond that is there a reason lipo isn't done, at least in tandem? I don't know a lot about any of these things...

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would guess because it doesn't work as well.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    you can only take out small percentages of fat with lipo. so if you are obese, it wouldn't make a difference really.

plus, that's not a fix, it's temporary. and dangerous. and it just doesn't work really well.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Reading up on it more, it makes a lot more sense. I've never considered these procedures so didn't know a whole lot about them. Thanks for the responses.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Reading up on it more, it makes a lot more sense. I've never considered these procedures so didn't know a whole lot about them. Thanks for the responses.

All surgery does is enforce a VLCD with medical supervision. I've never been sure why someone who was unable to follow a low calorie diet would be any more comfortable with it post surgery. It seems to be gaining popularity and I just don't get it.

Liposuction wouldn't solve anything. It wouldn't improve health in any way because the fat around organs would still be there. It would be strictly cosmetic, and probably wouldn't last anyway.