Is anyone else nervous to join a gym?

Options
This is pretty long but you can skip to the last 4 lines if you want a quick read :)

So I've been on my journey for about 8 months now and I've lost 31lbs, (it's been 33lbs before but I gained last week)

I've been going to a "toning suite" which people said was a fad and I believe it works as I've seen plenty of results for other people but not any more for me. In the first 6 weeks I lost 6 inches although now 6 weeks later I've had no results.

I'm not that big, therefore I know weightloss will be slow for me. I'm 5ft 3 and currently weigh 134lbs.

I want a little advice, I'm thinking of switching to the main gym so that I can do proper weights and use the machines to the max... The only issue is I'm really nervous about going in to the gym as I'm not very educated when it comes to using the machines and I'm a little worried about looking like an idiot.

Did anyone else feel like this? How long did it take to get used to and what machines are best for what?

Also, is this a good move to make to get my weightloss up and running well again?

As you can tell, any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I was nervous as well at first. I started going with my husband but I wanted to learn about more than just the cardio machines so I signed up for some personal training. If the gym offers personal training, try and take them up on it. You will feel so much more comfortable once you know where everything is and how to use it. I also really enjoy the classes and have made a few workout friends there. Good for you for thinking about joining a gym. I think you will really see a difference once you start diligently working out.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was terrified. So glad I did it though. Most gyms will offer some form of induction where they teach you everything
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's more or less mandatory that they give you an induction. I think everyone is the same, no one wants to look like an *kitten* lol. Just do it, you will not regret it :)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I want to go, but I am very nervous. And now I've just read a post from someone who was yelled at while at the gym so I'm even more so. I have an elliptical at home and I like to ride my bike but I think I would do well to lift weights a little. Maybe using a trainer at first would make us more comfortable?
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was so nervous at first I gave my "reason for joining" as "oh, I just want to get in shape a little bit". Seriously, I was so ashamed to tell the guy that I wanted to lose weight that I almost cried and ran away.

But, and I didn't know this when I joined, the good thing about gyms is that everyone there was once a newbie. Even if you get a few intimidating-looking muscleballs, you can be sure that they know how to help you set up your machine if the instructor isn't near or help you correct your posture. Most people at gyms are genuinely nice: they're all there with the same goal, really.

Edited to add: I llooooooove my gym now. The instructors know everyone by name, they're always ready to help you if you have questions or problems. The people who go there really vary in age from pre-teen overweight kids (I think it's a school-health program, really great though) to seriously muscled guys to retired old ladies. We even have a few muslim women come in and do their workout, all covered up... it's nice, sort of an inclusive family-feel :)
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    For the people that have already joined; did you have an induction and how long was it for?

Do they mind you asking for help over and over or is that when you need to hire a personal trainer?
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh I was VERY nervous!! I joined in January. The manager gave me a very quick tour, but by the time he'd left me alone, I'd forgotten everything he said. But the machines have directions on them, so I read those. And once I got over my pride, I asked for help from fellow exercisers. If I wanted to try a new machine, sometimes I waited til I was the only one in the gym. I know that's goofy, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Just a good week, maybe two, and I was feeling just as confident as anyone. And people like to offer advice, so just ask someone! I've gotten some excellent tips along the way!! One, in fact, allowed me to triple my time on the elliptical! Now, people ask ME for advice! Oh - and there's an amazing amount of information on YouTube...just search for the name of the machine, and there's probably a video on how to use it.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, if you think you're going to use it. Put a lot of thought in which gym to choose as well. When we lived in Texas I took a look at all the local gyms, their reputations around town and eliminated 3 that way....and then I looked at which one required a deposit or contract.

Anyway....as for the machines, most gyms give you one time with a trainer to learn all of the machines, or you could just hire one to go through and make a plan with/for you.
  • coletteann123
    Options
    I was very nervous!! i joined by myself for myself!! I said to myself to join for 1 month before i went on holiday its now been 10 months and iv just paid today for another!!

I got a great induction they are so helpful, iv had personal trainers who have been so nice to me and people who go when i go now no me a bit! but the staff are what make a place! the staff where i go are truly brilliant! supportive and always have time for members! Give it a go its always going to eel a little intimidating but after a week or so you will be well stuck in with your pla, the new machines will give you a boost and thats going to help the weight loss if you stick to your diet!! Go for it you will love it!! :-)
  • mickipedia
    Options
    Oh I was VERY nervous!! I joined in January. The manager gave me a very quick tour, but by the time he'd left me alone, I'd forgotten everything he said. But the machines have directions on them, so I read those. And once I got over my pride, I asked for help from fellow exercisers. If I wanted to try a new machine, sometimes I waited til I was the only one in the gym. I know that's goofy, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Just a good week, maybe two, and I was feeling just as confident as anyone. And people like to offer advice, so just ask someone! I've gotten some excellent tips along the way!! One, in fact, allowed me to triple my time on the elliptical! Now, people ask ME for advice! Oh - and there's an amazing amount of information on YouTube...just search for the name of the machine, and there's probably a video on how to use it.

This is brilliant advice, thanks!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I was very nervous!! i joined by myself for myself!! I said to myself to join for 1 month before i went on holiday its now been 10 months and iv just paid today for another!!

I got a great induction they are so helpful, iv had personal trainers who have been so nice to me and people who go when i go now no me a bit! but the staff are what make a place! the staff where i go are truly brilliant! supportive and always have time for members! Give it a go its always going to eel a little intimidating but after a week or so you will be well stuck in with your pla, the new machines will give you a boost and thats going to help the weight loss if you stick to your diet!! Go for it you will love it!! :-)

This! Great post. Most people aren't there to be critical of you. They are just getting thier workout in. Many will be helpful. Like any group, there will be a jerk or 2 but you sniff them out for yourself and learn how to avoid them. You do fine!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I was very nervous about joining, and I kept putting it off, trying to decide what gym would be best for me. I'd already lost a little over 40lbs through diet and walking, but I was still quite large, and I figured I'd look pretty hopeless to people at the gym. I think one of the problems that we large people have going to gyms is that we feel intimidated by the skinny, already-fit people working out around us. At least I know I did. However, the early onset of hot summer weather (I live in Texas and we had a terrible summer last year) forced me to make a decision since it was quickly too hot for much outdoor activity.

It worked out well for me. The first time there I was met by one of the personal trainers there who showed me around, started me on a few machines, and set up a formal assessment appointment with me. I was impressed with him and decided to sign up for a package of personal training sessions. This worked out great because he pushed me to try things I never would have attempted on my own.

I've been working out there nearly a year now, and I have people come up to and tell me my persistance and hard work is an inspiration to them. Talk about an NSV! :smile:
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I want to go, but I am very nervous. And now I've just read a post from someone who was yelled at while at the gym so I'm even more so. I have an elliptical at home and I like to ride my bike but I think I would do well to lift weights a little. Maybe using a trainer at first would make us more comfortable?

I just read that post. What that jerk said is really the exception to the rule. You will likely never ever run into someone like that at a gym. As to the trainer question, I thought their help was excellent and really helped to relax and focus on my workout.
  • Ann_72
    Ann_72 Posts: 13
    Options
    Scared to death. The PT got me over the worst of it. When, after a few weeks, I finally dared to look around at the other gym goers, I realized half of them were idiots like me, and not really knowing their way around except for a few machines. After a month I couldn't care less if I made a fool of myself, always someone there to direct you.
  • mickipedia
    Options
    Just to update you all in case you're interested, I've switched my membership in to the main gym and as of 21st May I'll be a new member of the main gym.

Any more advice aboutn favourite machines/routines would be handy :)
  • HellsBells61
    Options
    Being in the gym doesn't bother me but going to an exercise class on my own does! I've not long been living in my new town and I've joined a health club near where I live mainy beause they have a decent sized swimming pool. I'm a keen swimmer and I attend the aqua aerobics classes regularly because I'm very confident in the pool. I want to add some of their strength/toning studio-based classes to my schedule but I'm really nervous about joining one on my own and looking like an idiot. I have this on my May goals so I've got to take the plunge soon :ohwell:
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was asking this question not so long ago...to gym or not to gum..THAT is the question.....!!!!
    Well I did....I wasn't nervous just didn't know if I wanted to invest my money in another 'contract' type..howver my local gym had a package that suits me ..I can go anytime mon-fri 9-5 ...so can avoid the yummy mummys at 9 am if i go later around 11 ish..Its quiet and I can get on with what I want..
    The gym offered three personal trainer sessions with the package and he showed me around and explained how some machines worked., and what I should use to achieve my goals....Also suggested other exercises with a ball etc, and squats hanging onto a machine...(much easier than normal!!)..I read the instructions on the other machines and have since had a go on all of them...some I like, some I don't...
    The trainer explained that altho most people seem to think cardio is the answer for weight loss..(tread mill, cross trainer bike etcc) he reckoned that resitence training with weights was long term better cos keeps working after you leave...Don't have to be heavy weights if you don't want to be a body builder...just enough for the resistance...
    So in short...YES...go join a gym.....in mine...no one takes any notice of any one else...we're all too busy doing our own thing and getting through the session...and feels really good when done.....
    There are also classes to take if you want to do something else, like pilates, yoga, aroebics etc..all included in the membership
    Go for it girlie!!!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i was never nervous...i informed myself a lot through the internet/books on what i would be doing and how to do it properly. That was about 2 years ago.