Please post your subsitutions and secret foods!

Options

Replies

• nataliefallbach
    Options
    Vanilla coconut milk instead of creamer for coffee, haven't tried the almond but I hear that is great as well. For salad dressing, I use olive oil, dijon mustard, salt and pepper (its awesome). Nonfat greek yogurt with pure honey on top....its like dessert! My thought on subs is that many low calorie, low fat options are full of garbage and processed crap, its better to use the real deal, just less of it. But everyone for their own, but I try to chose good fats over low fat options, I stay full longer and I know I am not putting a bunch of crap in my body.
  • svelte2012
    svelte2012 Posts: 18
    Options
    Edamame Beans - I buy a big box of frozen Natures Classic individual packs - 135 calories each. Pop the bag in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes and you get a snack that takes a while to eat and has that protein we are all looking for.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bran cereal instead of bread crumbs.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Warburtons square wraps as pizza bases 159 calories and delish! Also instead of rice with Curries and Pasta's i have salad. People thin I'm mad but with things like Jalfreizi (excuse spelling mistakes) i cook up peppers, onions and mushrooms and serve it with a mixed leaf salad instead of rice it's very yummy!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ground oatmeal (in food processor) instead of bread crumbs, greek yogurt & taco sauce for a nice dressing on a taco salad (I only use lettuce, ground turkey, cherry toms & reduced fat mexican blend cheese.
  • hastenbeck
    hastenbeck Posts: 35
    Options
    save for later
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    I have replaced any noodles with Shirataki noodles...They are pretty much the same texture as real noodles, and you can eat 8oz of it for 40 calories! I then top it with whatever sauce, and it's yummy! I eat chicken alfredo or spaghetti all the time!
    Also, I've read some suggestions that you should stay away from!!!! Diet pop for sure! It is really bad for your' body! I read somewhere once....if you're not familiar with the ingrediants your body isn't either. As well as if it sticks to your teeth or makes your mouth furry...DON"T EAT IT!!! It is our bodys natural way of telling us what causes weight gain! Everything is trial and error,! Don't eat whole wheat, eat whole grain at least 9 for the number! Also, anything fake is bad for you...eat what you like and the real stuff, just watch your portions! I feel I've been succeful so far, and I've never deprived myself yet!!!
    Good luck and enjoy your journey!
  • Mishka84
    Mishka84 Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Healthy life whole wheat bread has 35 calories per slice and it's good, not a dense, tasteless whole wheat bread that you usually end up with.
    Schwanns raspberry and orange cream bars 70 cals each and they are full sized bars. :)
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sliced bell peppers with hummus instead of chips and dip!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered coconut oil spread at my local grocery store. It is solid like margarine/butter, but has no carbs, fat, sodium, etc. I have no clue what IS in it, but it tastes really good.

There is no such thing as oil without calories. If this says no calories it is probably the same as those margarine sprays that say no calories. They DO have calories, they simply make the serving size small enough so that it has < 0.5 calories and rounds to zero. Which is great if you only eat one serving.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some great idaes. I use mashed avocado instead of mayo. Avocado has fat, but it's the heart healthy fat.
  • Patsy165
    Patsy165 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches (140) cut in half for only 70 cal!!
    frigo light string cheese 60 cal
    tuna fish salad - 5 oz can with 1 tsp mayo & 2 tbsp light sour cream
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    Bump for later. :glasses:
  • valwes04
    valwes04 Posts: 58
    Options
    Bump, so I can read later when I have a bit more time
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow! There is so much creativity here! Gotta love MFP posters! Mine is using a hand blender with non-fat cottage cheese, a little ranch dip mix and milk to thin it out. You can make thinner for a salad drssing or thicker for a veggie dip.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love to mix salsa and ranch dressing for salads. This is especially good with baby greens (lettuce) burritos: Put a little low fat or no fat cheese on a tortilla and pop it in a toaster oven to warm and lightly toast, then fill with baby greens and dress with ranch/salsa dressing, roll and enjoy.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    This is less replacements than healthy things I love, but:

1. I adore buckwheat groats (a.k.a. kasha) as either a side starch or as a breakfast porridge. It's whole grain, so it is full of fiber, plus it's gluten-free if you need that.
    2. I cook soba noodles when I need a starchy snack. They're made with buckwheat, so they are more nutritious than just pasta with tomato sauce. They're also good in stir-fries instead of rice.
    3. Olive oil as a replacement for butter. Instead of buttered toast, dip bread in olive oil! I think it can also be used in place of butter when cooking meat (I don't eat meat with butter, so I can't do a direct comparison, but it's still pretty tasty).
    4. If you can't give up chicken skin, bake it in the toaster oven for 10 minutes. It gets really crispy, plus the fat renders out. And you can use a paper towerl to get even more fat off.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Oh, and instead of salad dressing, you can use tahina for something creamy or olive ol and lemon juice wth salt for something lighter.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks so much for posting this!