The reason we are getting fat

Options
I had a chat with my mother today about meals. As a child I was fit and well, excercised and had something to eat 3 times a day, I never got fat. So why over the last 20 years have I put on weight!?

SIMPLE, its the use of words...when I was growing up, we had breakfast, dinner and tea. Which meant we had a good breakfast like porridge then had dinner which was a good healthy cooked plate of food (meat and veg) and then tea which was a sandwhich and a small cake.

SO, why are we a fat nation!? BECAUSE, we have a good breakfast, a plated lunch and sometimes a cooked meal like pasta with salad and then DINNER which would be generally after 7pm and a cooked meal with dessert!

So basically we are having 2 dinners a day!!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Not me. The reason I got fat is because I was an active kid, active in college, then suddenly I went into the working world and became a sedentary desk worker all while eating the same that I did when I was active!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Not me. The reason I got fat is because I was an active kid, active in college, then suddenly I went into the working world and became a sedentary desk worker all while eating the same that I did when I was active!

Me too. I was always overweight, but this pushed me over.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    PORTION size! Holy buckets the amount of food my mom used to put on my plate!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    What does 7pm have to do with anything? Does your metabolism turn into a pumpkin after that hour?
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Simple reason is you burn less calories than you take in.
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not me. I got really sick and couldn't really exercise like I used to, all the while not eating right. I'd have one or two meals a day, and it was usually Burger King or McDonald's, or KFC. I don't eat several times a day, and never have.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    We are getting fat because we move less. I eat less than I did as a kid, but move a whole lot less too. Calories just are not being burned like before.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Nope, we're fat because we eat more than we need and eat bad foods.

I eat about 6 meals a day when I'm cutting weight.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am fat because I used to just take my dog to the end of the street once or twice a day. Now we walk around the whole neighbourhood at least three times a day.

Also, I ate pizza pops and no salads. Now I eat salads and no pizza pops.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I had a chat with my mother today about meals. As a child I was fit and well, excercised and had something to eat 3 times a day, I never got fat. So why over the last 20 years have I put on weight!?

SIMPLE, its the use of words...when I was growing up, we had breakfast, dinner and tea. Which meant we had a good breakfast like porridge then had dinner which was a good healthy cooked plate of food (meat and veg) and then tea which was a sandwhich and a small cake.

SO, why are we a fat nation!? BECAUSE, we have a good breakfast, a plated lunch and sometimes a cooked meal like pasta with salad and then DINNER which would be generally after 7pm and a cooked meal with dessert!

So basically we are having 2 dinners a day!!
    Or just that we're consuming too many calories overall. Eating after 7pm isn't bad if you have the calories to spare.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    Right. I would have a good breakfast, a small lunch and a balanced dinner with no processed foods or soda. There was always plenty, the food was always delicious and we could "snack" on toast or drink milk if we wanted something when it wasn't meal time. As an adult, I didn 't bother to make beautiful healthy meals and ate plenty of processed foods. And, of course, I was not active. Overall, too many cals and not enough exercise. But, you are right that many of us are eating too many large (oversized) meals.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast like a queen, lunch like a princess and dinner like a broke girl in brooklyn. I never end the day on a big meal unless its a holiday. But it does seem like growing up- our meals always got progressively bigger as the day went on. Seems backwards, right?
  • mazzbrown
    mazzbrown Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah! haha