Dieting with a Thyroid Problem

Options
I'm struggling with keeping weight off after losing it. For awhile I was doing really well, but It seems like I'm going in the wrong direction now. For about two months I busted my butt and lost about 7.5 lbs. slow but steady and I was okay with that. But then one bad weekend and a week of no exercising and suddenly I gained almost all of it back?! How is this possible?!! arghh. I have every belief that it has to do with my hypothyroidism. The quick weight gain I mean. Otherwise I doubt it would have been as drastic, then again maybe I'm wrong. Is anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• Only1tracie
    Only1tracie Posts: 31
    Options
    I have the thyroid issue too and the same problem. We just have to work harder to reach the same goals. I know for me, having a lot of sodium will make me gain instantly.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Are you getting treated for the thyroid problem? I had a nice talk with my doctor, who let me know that if the SYMPTOMS weren't better, she knew that the levels weren't right, even if the numbers were in the "normal" range. Also, be sure to take your medicine regularly if you are on medication. 30-45 minutes before eating in the morning is best. I've had hypothyroidism for several years now, and I know that if I miss a dose or take a couple of doses late, I gain weight, don't feel well, shed hair like mad, etc.

If you have hypothyroidism, quick weight gain has everything to do with your levels not being right.

When my levels were bonkers, I went on a strict diet and started working out. I stopped gaining weight, but didn't lose any weight. A medication adjustment fixed that.

You also need to avoid certain foods that hinder thyroid productivity when you have hypothyroidism. These include raw broccoli/cauliflower, raw spinach, raw sweet potatoes (don't know who eats sweet potatoes raw, but...don't), almonds, and most importantly SOY products. I ended up putting my levels out of whack again by eating products like Kashi Go Lean. Makes me sad because I liked that cereal, but there you go.
  • TechxyGirl
    TechxyGirl Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm so glad I found a group for this. My inconsistency with my thyroid meds is probably contributing to my inability to lose weight recently. Looking for a new doctor right now as my plan has changed and I am out of pills so it's not a good situation. So frustrating.

I need to do some more research too, I had no idea raw broccoli/spinach/almonds were bad. I've been eating them a lot lately! Anyone have a favorite website before I randomly google this topic?

I've been eating better and exercising a lot more the past few weeks and the few pounds I lost I gained right back immediately too.

My new goal is to find a doc, get back on my meds and be stricter with my timing on taking them. No more beating myself up over my results until my thyroid is back on track - and I'll watch the interfering foods too. Thanks for sharing!
  • crt1128
    crt1128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had that issue too. Medical insurance changing, needing a new doctor, etc.. It's incredibly frustrating. But with the right doctor, you'll get back on track. When you're finding one, I'd suggest making sure your doctor is proactive in keeping you informed. I just recently changed doctors and I couldn't be happier. I never realized just how bad my last doctor was before with letting me know just WHAT was going on with me. My current doctor gives me all my results ASAP and explains them in terms I can understand as well as giving me suggestions on ways to correct anything that is out of whack.

Anyway! That said, it was just suggested to me that I check out the livestrong.com website and they have lots of topics on appropriate foods/exercises to help with weightloss and hypothyroidism, if you want to check that out! good luck!
  • crt1128
    Options
    Are you getting treated for the thyroid problem? I had a nice talk with my doctor, who let me know that if the SYMPTOMS weren't better, she knew that the levels weren't right, even if the numbers were in the "normal" range. Also, be sure to take your medicine regularly if you are on medication. 30-45 minutes before eating in the morning is best. I've had hypothyroidism for several years now, and I know that if I miss a dose or take a couple of doses late, I gain weight, don't feel well, shed hair like mad, etc.

If you have hypothyroidism, quick weight gain has everything to do with your levels not being right.

When my levels were bonkers, I went on a strict diet and started working out. I stopped gaining weight, but didn't lose any weight. A medication adjustment fixed that.

You also need to avoid certain foods that hinder thyroid productivity when you have hypothyroidism. These include raw broccoli/cauliflower, raw spinach, raw sweet potatoes (don't know who eats sweet potatoes raw, but...don't), almonds, and most importantly SOY products. I ended up putting my levels out of whack again by eating products like Kashi Go Lean. Makes me sad because I liked that cereal, but there you go.

Yes, I had a week or so where i had run out and the perscription fill got lost in the shuffle so I went off for a while, but i'm back on it now, steadily for the past two weeks. I'm getting re-tested for my levels the first week of June, hopefully everything will be alright, if not adjustments will be made as necessary. So glad I changed my doctor too. She's far more informative and helpful than my last.

I didn't know that about those foods, and it's good too since I'm iron deficent as well and have been trying to find ways to incorporate food like broccoli and spinach because of it. Thank you!
  • crt1128
    Options
    I have the thyroid issue too and the same problem. We just have to work harder to reach the same goals. I know for me, having a lot of sodium will make me gain instantly.

that actually makes my sudden weight gain make sense. I had sort of a binge weekend just before.