Vancouver Island? or anyone form canada

Options
hey there guys, for once this is not a post about wanting friends or support groups.
Ive just been offered a job in Canada. specifically Nanaimo, British Columbia, which is think is on that teeny little island just off the west coast, correct me if im wrong.

anyway Im from australia, and was curious to know what to sort of cost of living there would be? eg gas prices, rental prices, how much food is. I dont know where to start,and its a big move! any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    Hi! I live in Canada (though on the other side of it) but let me tell you this, that whole area, British Columbia, is some of the most beautiful land on earth. And I'm not even saying that as a biased Canadian. Google it. Stunning.

As for the cost of living, I know that it's a bit more expensive than the part of Canada where I live, but probably rather comparable to where you are now. Rent can be pricey depending on where you are, but the pay is higher out there in relation to the rest of the country. I know MANY people who went out there to visit and never came back, they fell in love and that was it. And they've never had a problem making ends meet.

I just took a look at their gas prices for the last few days - around 125/litre (which is actually lower than the average where I live) and that's similar to what the U.S. is paying now (when converted to the gallon). And I just checked rent in that area - usual variances but looks like it's 800-1200 for a decent condo or apartment (one bedroom), depending on the area etc.

My advice? If I was lucky enough to live in Oz and had to move anywhere? It would be out there.
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    http://www.hellobc.com/nanaimo.aspx

Have a look at that site. It'll have lots of good info for you.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for all the info.

Ill be starting an apprenticeship there soon. dream job But ill be by myself, and only on 600 a week before taxes, until my probation is up at least. SO that's mostly whats worrying me. gas doesn't seem to bad actually. better than the 1.50/l im paying back home.

But now youve gotten me scared. I don't want to fall in love with Canada. i love where i live now...
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I lived in Nanaimo for 17 years...been on the mainland ( a whopping 25mi away) for 5 years now.

It is a small city, reasonable rents and cost of living as the economy there pretty much sucks. It is an awesome, friendly place and I still miss it!

Best way to get a feel for rentals is to check Craigslist- http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/
    for grocery prices have a look at http://www.qualityfoods.com/storelocations/Nanaimo.aspx
    gas prices http://www.bcgasprices.com/Nanaimo/index.aspx

If you enjoy the outdoors you will LOVE the island!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Vancouver Island is amazing - you'll love it. Naniamo is fairly well situated, right by the ferry, and not too far drive to Victoria and Tofino (my favorite place on earth). The craigslist site is good for rents.. and the following should give you some info too: https://www.nanaimo.ca/assets/Departments/Economic~Development/Why~Nanaimo/CommunityProfile.pdf
  • taxidermist15
    Options
    wow smallerbrides, GREAT LINK!! thankyou guys

keep the info coming. but this is amazing
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    My parents live there on the military base, its beautiful, but expensive. the gas prices is $1.30 and the rent is more then what it is here in ontario, its a very expensive place to live. Very beaautiful an so worth living there:happy:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I live in Parksville currently (20 minutes North of Nanaimo) and grew up here for 18 years. I've lived all over the world since.

The summers (May to September) can't be beat. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived or traveled to. It's a reasonable place money wise to live.

Pros:
    - Great for outdoors people, almost unbeatable. We have the ocean and mountains everywhere. Hiking, skiing, kayaking, scuba diving (best in the world)... everything is here. AMAZING!
    - Generally cheap to live
    - Slow pace of life
    - People are generally decent

Cons:
    - You're trapped on an island. If you want to go to Vancouver for something it's a HUGE affair (generally requiring a hotel and huge costs)
    - The weather in the winter is horribly depressing. People get awful. I'm not saying that to discourage you, it's just a fact. Winters on Vancouver Island are REALLY bad. Some years there isn't a break in the grey sky for weeks and it rains 24/7. I was going crazy until 3 days ago the sun came out for what seemed like the first time in months.
    - Unlike the USA there are no freeways. The driving here is very annoying (stopping every 300 meters for a light) so you need to get used to taking awhile to get anywhere.
    - Retirement mecca. If you work in the public sector you'll be dealing with the aging population and they are beyond frustrating.

I moved to California in my late teens and came back. I was offered a job in Victoria which I will probably take. I much prefer the south end of the island because Victoria is like a mini metro. Very cosmo but big city, yet a very intimate place. Victoria is wonderful.

When you land, give me a call. I'd be happy to show you around and help you get settled. No strings attached!
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also lived in nanaimo for 10 years. Not so small and growing daily. Beautiful place, but Smalltown mentality foresure. I think you'll love it, and it is on the cheaper end economically. Rent is reasonable :)
  • hondagirl26
    hondagirl26 Posts: 34
    Options
    Would love to live in BC, I am in Ontario. Good luck with your job!
  • taxidermist15
    Options
    I live in Parksville currently (20 minutes North of Nanaimo) and grew up here for 18 years. I've lived all over the world since.

The summers (May to September) can't be beat. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived or traveled to. It's a reasonable place money wise to live.

Pros:
    - Great for outdoors people, almost unbeatable. We have the ocean and mountains everywhere. Hiking, skiing, kayaking, scuba diving (best in the world)... everything is here. AMAZING!
    - Generally cheap to live
    - Slow pace of life
    - People are generally decent

Cons:
    - You're trapped on an island. If you want to go to Vancouver for something it's a HUGE affair (generally requiring a hotel and huge costs)
    - The weather in the winter is horribly depressing. People get awful. I'm not saying that to discourage you, it's just a fact. Winters on Vancouver Island are REALLY bad. Some years there isn't a break in the grey sky for weeks and it rains 24/7. I was going crazy until 3 days ago the sun came out for what seemed like the first time in months.
    - Unlike the USA there are no freeways. The driving here is very annoying (stopping every 300 meters for a light) so you need to get used to taking awhile to get anywhere.
    - Retirement mecca. If you work in the public sector you'll be dealing with the aging population and they are beyond frustrating.

I moved to California in my late teens and came back. I was offered a job in Victoria which I will probably take. I much prefer the south end of the island because Victoria is like a mini metro. Very cosmo but big city, yet a very intimate place. Victoria is wonderful.

When you land, give me a call. I'd be happy to show you around and help you get settled. No strings attached!

Thanks for the offer, defiately somehting ill take tyou up on. always nee dmroe friends when moving to a new place. For now, im still thinking if i want to take the job Im making up a huge pros and cons list.
    The winter weather seems depressing! Living in australia, its hot all the time, which i love. I am very outdoorsy, love hiking, camping all those amazing things. Ive lived in oregon for the past year and its depressing with the horrible rainy weather. I love the beach and they cant swim at the beach cause its so damm cold!
    anyway In regards to the "ageing population". Im only in my early 20's. please tell me there are numerous pubs, clubs, nightlife anything?? how far is victoria from nainmaio?
    IM still kinda apprehensive about it all. moving from one country to another just for a job... kinda intimidating.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The "night" scene in Nanaimo is sketchy at best. I have been to clubs all over the world and Nanaimo is for lack of a better word a "dump" when it comes to going to a bar or club with friends. The downtown core is about the scummiest place you'll find in Canada. It's NOT cool. There's no other decent night life scene north of Victoria on the island.

Portland weather is comparable to the island for sure. I've spent a lot of time in Portland.

Victoria is about 90 minutes south of Nanaimo. That's really where everything is. That being said it's not a drive you want to do often and it's a tourist hub for US, Alberta, and other states/province travelers. So it gets insanely busy during the summer (when you want to go)

Don't take my word for it, but knowing what I know I would not advise moving here. I think it would be too much of a culture shock for you. Coming from OZ, to Portland to here... I think you'd last 2-3 months and take off. I grew up here and I can't wait to take the Victoria job. It's also VERY difficult to meet people here.

I hate to sound negative, I really do. It's a nice place. But the only way it would work is if you had a network of people you knew ready to show you the wonderful activities and such and you weren't into the nightlife so didn't care what the bars were about. Otherwise you'll do what a lot of expats do when they get here - go to work, go home, and get depressed fast.

EDIT: I met a girl from South Africa who lasted all of 2 weeks on the island until she went crazy.
  • Scoober39
    Scoober39 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am originally from Calgary, Alberta, but now live in Beaverton, Or. Most of my family is in Canada, my mom lives in Watrous, Saskatchewan and most everyone else lives in Nanaimo, B.C.