What's the healthiest type of milk??

Options
2»

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    Options
    SILK! :'D
    I like the light soy milk.

Curious. I tried soy milk once and I hated it. It wasn't Silk tho. My daughter loves the Silk chocolate milk, but I am resistant to attempting the regular stuff again.

Is the taste of Silk...the light one...better than the other brands? Is there anything you can compare the taste to?

Thanks!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I am new to drining milk. I use to be slightly lactose intolerant with it. But that has strangely gone away. I've been drinking 1% but after reading this I might move up. I don't drink alot of it. Mostly in cereal, in cooking or one 8oz glass for a recovery drink after strength training.

I tried skim and did not like the flavor. It seems that way with everything that is low fat or no fat. They have less flavor.
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    I am new to drining milk. I use to be slightly lactose intolerant with it. But that has strangely gone away. I've been drinking 1% but after reading this I might move up. I don't drink alot of it. Mostly in cereal, in cooking or one 8oz glass for a recovery drink after strength training.

I tried skim and did not like the flavor. It seems that way with everything that is low fat or no fat. They have less flavor.

I actually have always been lactose intolerant - my parents found out when I was 6 months old and hadn't grown appropriately. I was then switched to a special formula or something. For the lonest time growing up I hated milk since it made me feel bad, but as an adult, I have rediscovered it and other than a little gas, don't have a bad reaction. I started with skim and then moved to 2% in college for the creamy taste. I am now drinking skim for calorie reasons, although I drink much less since cereal is really a trigger food for me and I can eat it untilt eh cows come home (ha ha).
  • supafly
    Options
    Hm... well, it's kind of a unique taste I guess. D:
    But I tend to like it better than regular milk.
    Just my taste buds though, and the chocolate silk is awesome as well!
    The vanilla is a little too sweet.
    I usually had my silk over creal though, I rarely drink it alone.
  • Demetria
    Options
    I used to drink Whole milk, and I absolutely LOVED the taste. Honestly, it's one of the best tastes in the food/beverage world for me. Now, since I've been on a diet and am trying to lose weight and be in better shape, I've switched to Fat-free milk. It's ok, and I don't mind using it for my cereal and whatnot, but the taste is definitely not anywhere as satisfying as Whole milk. Then there's also Low-fat, as well as Skim, and even Soy milk. So what's the deal?? Which one is healthiest for you?

I don't mind drinking Fat-free milk, and I will continue to do so if it is indeed the healthiest choice. However, I've heard that it's better to drink whole not only for nutritional values, but for over all hunger satisfaction control. I don't know if this is true or not, so please shed some light on this subject for me. Feel free to give your own personal opinions on your favorite type of milk, but please make sure to give some actual facts about why it is healthy, as well.

Thanks!!

The nutritional values are the same for any type of cow's milk, the only difference is the amount of fat unless the manufacturer has added other stuff.
    As regards to hunger satisfaction control, that has to do with the more fat there is in the milk, which will help you with staving off hunger but the fat in cow's milk is saturated animal fat. You can get the healthy fat that you need instead from sources such as nuts & avocadoes, such as monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fat.

If you are really good with keeping your overall fat & saturated fat amounts low then keep with the whole milk if not then choose to keep the whole milk and cut out other sources of saturated fat. It's all about balance.

I was drinking 2% cow's milk but since I am trying to increase my intake of healthy fats, I decided to cut down to fat free cow's milk. I use Eggland's Best Cage Free Brown Eggs, they have more nutrients than regular eggs due to what they feed they hens and even though the yolk is mainly saturated fat it is full of most of those nutrients such as lutien for the eyes and such.

hth,
    Demetria
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Some good info here, thanks everyone who contributed!

I love my 2% Milk and have 1 glass each day. I was amazed at the sugar content, but then remembered how sweet mother's milk was:tongue: .

:glasses:
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    If you're going to drink a cow's milk, I don't see anything wrong with drinking it full fat if you really like it. Personally, I don't think any kind of animal milk is really "good" for a human body besides human, and that's only if you're a baby human :wink: I am terribly biased, though.