Question for people with knee problems

Options
When I was 11 I had a pretty bad accident, I slipped in school and smashed my left knee up pretty badly, it took 100 stitches to close to wound, but because the damage to my knee was so badly on the surface (won't give too many gory details) my kneecap wasn't x-rayed or checked.

I've had pain since I did it and only recently found out that because I hit he step at an angle my kneecap was pushed off its normal track and is 1/4 of an inch dislocated, as a result the muscles in my thigh are damaged from the strain of keeping my kneecap where it is as well as having soft tissue, nerve and cartilage damage.

I find most exercises really painful after awhile and was just wondering if anyone could tell me of any low impact exercises that will burn calories as well? I've been trying some yoga in hopes it will help.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ive heard swimming is good when you have issues with joints. I don't like swimming I have to say, not only is there the swimwear issue (!).... but also I find it quite dull, just up n down. But it's not for everyone I guess, I know a lot that love it.

What about walking ? On a treadmill - might be less impact than on pavement. Or a cross trainer in a gym. Not sure if you have access to a gym or not ??

x
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I swim twice a week. It can get boring, but some of the hydro fit classes at the gym can be really hard if the instructor is good. I have knee problems too....it sucks at times.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you have medical insurance see if you can get an rx for physical therapy. A PT can show you how to tape up your knee and compensate for your injury. I shattered my patella 5 years ago and my doctor decided that surgery would cause more damage than allowing it to heal on it's own. After about 6 weeks of keeping it immobilized, I was given the green light on physical therapy. It hurt at first but over the 30 days my insurance covered, my knee got stronger.

I still occasionally have issues but I have no major problems exercising except for the impact of running. I stopped running completely because I could hear the tissue in my knee getting more and more damaged (ripping /tearing noises.) I still walk and I do exercise videos including Jillian Michaels but any time I hear my knee making tearing noises or I am unsteady, I stop what I am doing because I don't want to damage my knee any further. Oh and taking an Advil or Alieve before you exercise really helps keep the swelling down (and ice it after you're done.)
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my knees, too. Lots of crackling, popping, and pain. Lunges kill, but I do them slowly. Squats are easier because I drop my weight into my heels and let my hips take the weight off my knees. I've been wanting to start swimming, mostly because my buddy Becky up there makes it sound fun. :wink:
    The treadmill makes my knees way worse if I'm not very careful, the stepper machine is totally out, running on grass is better than pavement. I think you have to find out what you can do. Squats have really strengthened mine, but some people couldn't take that at all.
    Also, seeing a PT might help tremendously in finding the best exercise for your particular problem. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • smiggitysmee
    smiggitysmee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues also, and was actually told to stop running because of them. Since then I have been busy with cycling workouts. They don't make my knees ache the way everything else did, and I find that I can still get my heartrate up.

Physical therapy also helped me a great deal to be able to get back to exercise without pain too. It also aided in my being more aware of the things that cause me more pain.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump for later....I'm curious to see what people say, I have knee injury too.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Coming from the queen of knee problems (blown out my right knee three times in the past 10 years), I was told by my doctor to swim, bicycle (stationary if possible), and light weight lifting with the leg in question.

I had done the swimming (I STINK at swimming and am lucky I didn't drown) and didn't like it too much. The stationary biking however burned a lot of calories and actually helped me with my motion.

I can see if I can dig up my other exercises and scan them and post them here or send them to you if you would like.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    swimming would probably be ideal for you. I like using the elliptical because it really stresses my knees a lot less than a step climber or treadmill...although I really enjoy treadmill! I agree with the above idea about talking to a PT...there is a lot you can do without submitting to surgery, I'm sure. Good luck!
  • repubgurl
    repubgurl Posts: 105
    Options
    I have knee problems, courtesy of years spent in karate. I actually have had 2 surgeries to "fix" the problem. Needless to say they didn't work. The best low/no impact workout for me is the elliptical machine. I do enjoy swimming too, but somehow the burn on the elliptical is more satisfying. Anything else will aggravate my knee if I do it too much or for too long.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation. I repeated dislocated my knee time after time from when I was 13, until I finally had surgery when I was 18. It took 3 surgeries to get it working properly, only to find out that I totally demolished the ligament that was supposed to be holding my kneecap in place. Each time I dislocated (which was about once a month + crutches for 2 weeks each time), I would tear more of the ligament apart. I virtually had NO muscle in my thigh after the 3 surgeries because of how long I was laid up. PT only did so much, and I was in college so I had far better things to do (I regret that now!).

Anyway, I am just now building that muscle back up. I started with just walking, then a very slight jog. As soon as it hurts, I stop and go back to walking. It's going to be a process to build that muscle back up. If your knee hurts because of the actual injury- definitely talk to a doctor before you do anything. If it's just because it's ultra week like mine is- start off slow and work your way up. I couldn't ride a bike for a while because things would pop, so I just started pushing the pedal halfway and stayed along the 'bottom' of the revolution (I hope that makes sense). Eventually I worked up to a full revolution but just very slowly. It was one heck of a process, but it was what had to happen to get things going.
  • tedeez
    tedeez Posts: 18
    Options
    I had a similar fall last June and my knee cap shifted. I let it heal for a while and finally ended up seeing a sports medicine doctor. I tried the cortisone shot which didnt help and physical therapy. Many activities became very painful. Basically he told me I will eventually need a knee replacement, as there is no more cartilage left due to the shifting. I had euflexxa injections done in February, which seem to have helped enough to move around more. I find spinning and gentle yoga really seem to help, along with zumba (just be careful with the twisting). Stay away from the lunges unless you modify. Good luck!!!
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump--I've never had an injury or any joint pain before, but lately my right knee has been hurting during and after workouts. I'm thinking it may be a result of an intense hike I did several weeks ago.

I love swimming but don't have access to a pool right now. I'd love to hear some ideas about exercises you can do in your living room.
  • hadesflame
    hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My knee was damaged in a car accident a little over a year ago and since then everything hurts. However, if you wrap your knee properly and ice it after, you should be able to do lower impact exercises like the stationary bike or the gazelle glider. To keep your heart rate up, try using 1 or 2lb hand weights and pumping your arms like you're running if the bike has stationary handle bars. It actually helps a lot. Plus, like another poster said, taking aleve before a workout is a good suggestion to keep the swelling down. Best of luck and always remember to stop if it doesn't feel right. Soreness in the muscles is one thing. Intense stabbing pain is another. You know your body best. :happy:
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Go to one of those custom made insole places and get really good insoles for your shoes. I am 29 and have arthritis in my knee from snowboarding and sports, and a family history of really bad knee's. My dad is 53 and needs both knees replaced and he has had multiple surgeries.

The insoles help a ton - its amazing how much of a difference they made in the pain. Also glucosamine supplements - take them daily - its like lubricant for your joints, and its natural - extracted from beets and other red tubers. Between that and wearing a knee brace during activities my knee pains are nearly gone. However one rough day or leaving this routine for a day or two and the pains start to return.
  • Urbanlamb
    Urbanlamb Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello!

http://www.bauerfeind.ca/en/products/supports-orthoses/knee-hip-thigh/genutrain-p3.html

Seriously...anyone with knee problems due to injury should look at this product. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by suggesting a product, but I sell this at my Home Health store and am compeltely in love with it.

Good luck!
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also have knee problems - not sure what but haven't gone to the doctor because .... I know the first thing I'll be told is that I need to lose weight. I was also looking for knee friendly exercises and I settled on a rowing machine which is a joint friendly and an excellent cardio exercise and finally something that I enjoy doing.
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    I had pain when running in my left knee (which turns out mostly to be related to weak muscles around that knee), but for about a year I was swimming and not running at all. Since Dec I have started doing strength training and have increased my muscle mass in my left leg and lost weight and now I can run for 2-3 minutes at a time on 5-6.5 mph before I start to feel any strain in my legs.

Given your situation, I definitely would consult with a Physical Therapist as I know that even from swimming, the kicking motion can aggravate my knees (both of them) but that is generally after about a mile of swimming (which takes me about an hour).

Even if you swim just by using your arms and float (think it is called sculling) you would still get quite a workout with out having to use your legs.