weekend binges

Options
I really need some encouragement from those of you listening who've overcome this dreadful cycle. I do pretty good all week. Some weekends I keep it down to a cheat meal or two. Sometimes, like last weekend I just got carried away. If that isn't stopping my progress, I don't know what else is. I know how crappy I feel physically by Sunday night and how angry I get with myself when the weekend is over. So, just like today, I got back in the saddle, vowing to better next weekend.

Replies

• FalvoPS
    FalvoPS Posts: 25
    Options
    I do the same thing. I'm a 30 year old male with a very busy life style from Monday to Friday. Unfortunately, when the weekends come around there are too many opportunities to eat out and drink. I do my best to avoid it, but I seem to have issues with cravings. I make it a point to buy absolutely no sweets or unhealthy snacks. I have a refrigerator full of fruits, vegeatables, healthy meats, yogurt, eggs, and water. For some reason, when Saturday hits, I want chicken wings, breakfast from the diner, and beer. I share your pain.
  • wvbuckeye
    wvbuckeye Posts: 45
    Options
    Same here, unfortunately I let my busy life/family determine my meals on the weekend. I seem to blow it every weekend except when we dont eat out. I am a work in progress also. All I know is that we are accountable for ourselves and that we have to learn to just say "no". Better choices are key and being able to turn them down is as well.
  • tubbytracey
    tubbytracey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know what you all are talking about. The weekends are terrible for me and watching what I eat/drink. If it wasn't for the weekends, I would be a skinny minnie. Not sure how to break the cycle.
  • Kabo42
    Kabo42 Posts: 2
    Options
    OMG this is soooo me as well! I get so annoyed with myself! I am really good monday through to friday... sometimes friday's are not good! but sat and sun are bad!!! I ate chocolate... chicken korma... cake... then I feel so annoyed with myself then on monday I'm great again! I haven't lost any weight for now for about 6 months. I seem to have lost my motivation and I just can't seem to find it again! I lost 26lb so easily and since christmas.. (almost 6 months ago lol) I can't seem to find it again! I still have another 14lb to lose really before I feel totally comfortable so maybe I'll just have to find my mojo again!! x
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I can relate there have been weekends where all I'm doing is running and the quickest (and sometimes the only place open at 1 am) is usually fast food.
    Here lately it's been just the opposite, I have to remember to eat, but when I do, it's still fast food. So that isn't any better.

I guess when I'm home on the weekends and don't have my kiddos, if I have a "spare" couple hours, I'm sleeping in my recliner or wherever I can.:yawn:
  • Kabo42
    Kabo42 Posts: 2
    Options
    maybe we should add each other as friends and keep an eye on our weekends haha!!!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think everyone falls off the wagon a bit on weekends. It's hard to eat properly and stay on track when your schedule is different. I have a lot of down time on the weekends and it's hard for me to not cook things, and eat garbage.

Just try to stay on track better. One thing that helps me is pre-cooking all of the food I'm going to eat for the next couple of days. I'm not going to go out for fast food if i already have chicken breast and veggies cooked in the refrigerator.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My weekends are almost always terrible LOL With the exception of breakfast (which I try to keep my routine on), lunch and dinner are completely random and I eat whatever is convenient. Mondays are always a get back on the wagon day for me. I try really hard not to go too far overboard, and have managed to keep losing at a steady pace.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Weekends have always been my biggest challenge, with wine and chocolate luring me into falling off the wagon.
    However I put up a fight this weekend. I chose the lowest carb and callorie drinks on Friday, and worked out my but off on Saturday morning, and burned another 500+ dancing for over 1.5hrs at night. No drinks Sunday.
    I was so scared to step on the scale this morning , however I was so glad to see that another lb was gone.
    Eat it=burn it.
  • ZailieB
    ZailieB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the weekend!!!! Kids and days out just lead to junk food.... I started off really well but I also have fallen into the weekend blow out! I hope we can all get over this :-)
  • danaamace
    danaamace Posts: 9
    Options
    bump

Hoping more people respond to this thread with tips to help minimize the impulsiveness and crazy eating on the weekends.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A few observations:

1) A lot of secret dieters struggle with the weekends because they don't wasn't people in social situations to know they are dieting. Either be honest with people that you're trying to better yourself, or come up with some excuses...saving up, are before going out, the doctor wants me to cut back, stomach upset...

2) Like all addictions, you have to figure out your enablers and hardest habits...clubbing, certain sites, the movies...then future out how to fix it. Take half a meal home, no popcorn topping. Start slow and build on it. Forgive yourself for a relapse.

3)Weigh yourself Friday and Monday to see how bad it all really is. Part of your journey should be an experiment...when I eat X, my weight is Y.. When I drink booze, I feel better, then worse.

4) Chances are, your friends are also struggling with the same problem. Be honest and chances are you'll find someone who will make healthy choices, too.

Good luck, folks! Add me if you'd like!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have found that logging my food before I eat helps me stay on track. I do stray on occasion but have noticed lately when I do it leaves me bloated and miserable!
  • fitmemom
    fitmemom Posts: 22
    Options
    I keep all that stuff here too. I teach my 5&6 yr. olds about eating healthy, but that crap my parents fed me is around here too. Old habits die hard. I think if it was just me, I wouldn't haven't in the house. Its hard too when you turn on the TV and see the "beautiful people" gobbling up processed junk on commercials like its all harmless!
  • fitmemom
    Options
    With us, its making that meal the just a big part of the weekend. Its not like we don't go and do activities as a family.
  • fitmemom
    Options
    Well, ok Smith42, I'm fitmemom. Friend me!
  • fitmemom
    Options
    28 Pounds is awesome! I lost two and gained 'em back. That was weeks ago.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing. I would do great all week and then Friday night would roll around, hubby would say "let's order a pizza" and that would be it. I would blow it SO bad. And it's not just the foods I was eating it was the fact that I would eat until I was absolutely stuffed. It was ridiculous. To the point that I would gain 10 lbs in 2 days of water weight!!! So now I'm pissed. I actually got pissed 2 weeks ago that I was falling back into a cycle that I worked REALLY hard to get out of. So I hung up my suit - that I need to lose 10-12 lbs to fit back into and I wrote my weight down and the date. And I see that suit hanging on the door every time I walk to the kitchen and I remember that I am not going to let fat run my life. I am not going to let food have a hold on me. I can do this and I will do this.
  • redpat74
    redpat74 Posts: 33
    Options
    My theory about weekend binging is our tendency (and need) to turn off our brains over the weekends. In general all of us work so hard all week long and have so much depending upon what we do or what we accomplish that on the weekends we need time to turn off and relax, and in so doing let our defences down. Unfortunately, with "no one" manning our brains what we choose as a "reward" only sets us back. I'm learning that the key is to allow yourself to unwind, but do so in a "mindful" way.

I have to physically disengage myself from my kitchen, which is difficult with my "open concept" living area. Therefore, I go up to my "office" and read, work out, look up something new and useful on the internet...etc. There are many times when I am a not successful, but I'm also learning not to beat myself up over it... As one of the other responders stated - we have to look at how we're choosing to unwind. There are alternatives - just slowly make the changes. And learn to forgive yourself.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    A few observations:

1) A lot of secret dieters struggle with the weekends because they don't wasn't people in social situations to know they are dieting. Either be honest with people that you're trying to better yourself, or come up with some excuses...saving up, are before going out, the doctor wants me to cut back, stomach upset...

2) Like all addictions, you have to figure out your enablers and hardest habits...clubbing, certain sites, the movies...then future out how to fix it. Take half a meal home, no popcorn topping. Start slow and build on it. Forgive yourself for a relapse.

3)Weigh yourself Friday and Monday to see how bad it all really is. Part of your journey should be an experiment...when I eat X, my weight is Y.. When I drink booze, I feel better, then worse.

4) Chances are, your friends are also struggling with the same problem. Be honest and chances are you'll find someone who will make healthy choices, too.

Good luck, folks! Add me if you'd like!