CARBS!!!! UGH! What is the TRUTH?!!!?!?!?!?!!

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

The only time cutting carbs will have any kind of beneficial effect is if you have diabetes, or some other metabolic dysfunction.

Metabolic dysfunction is not a binary condition. People have varying degrees of carbohydrate intolerance. I would say anybody who has struggles to manage their weight has some form of metabolic dysfunction that may or may not be alleviated by reducing carbohydrates.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat under 50 grams of carbs a day 90% of the time (I do occassionally have dessert) and I lose around 2 pounds per week doing that and I also have more energy and sleep better at night. When I was eating a carb laden diet that most people recommend my blood sugar was dropping within an hour of eating to almost dangerous levels. Now my hypoglycemia is all but gone and I feel much better. I say do what makes your body feel good not what all the different diets say you should eat. If you lose and feel good eating less carbs, then do that if not then increase your carbs by eating fruits, vegetables and whole grains if you need them. I personally don't eat any grains, but a lot of people do. I don't feel my body needs them as long as I'm eating enough fruits and veggies.

I hate how people think they know everything and anytime someone posts something about low carb, they get all defensive and mean to people who follow this lifestyle. Well, my cholesterol is near perfect now and my triglycerides are down to a normal level all because I gave up eating flour, sugar, rice, and grains. I also notice that since I stopped eating those things, it is extremely easy to stay at or below my calorie goals for the day since those foods are usually calorie heavy too.

Just do what feels good for your body and let the haters keep hating but ignore their hating :smile:
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot to mention this but alot of people who aren't educated about lowcarb are under the impression that you don't eat fruit and vegetables on lowcarb which is totally untrue. You just eat in a different way. I allow myself lots of green vegetables, and berries. I have eliminated things like white potatoes, rice, flour, white bread, things like this. Even so, there are substitutions you can use to still keep your carbs lower with using lc bread or Lower carb noodles, sweet potatoes on occasion instead of white potatoes.
    Even french fries, using celery root or rutabaga to make the fries. There are so many ways to do lowcarb without ever feeling deprived. It's really very doable and you still get your veggies your fruit usually in berries for me.
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    it's really what works for you. some people have no problem being on low carb diet for long time, but for me, going low carb <40g for more than two days and I was fatigue all the time. It even prevented me from having the energy to go work out.

Now I have 40%carb, 30% protein and 30% fat, and it works well for me. enough energy, slow and steady weight loss.
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Whole grains that you buy in a package at a store aren't nessesarily processed. If you are concerned about them being processed read the ingredient information to be sure there aren't artificial preservatives added. Carbs being stored as fat isn't a fact. As long as you eat a balanced diet and have a calorie deflect you will loose weight.

This. Find what is right for you.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    from my biochemistry undergrad degree, i understand the carb metabolism in a manner similar to how you descirbed: used for energy when there is a surplus or its not used, they are stored.

but some people are more tollerant to carbs (grans in particular) than others.

Me personally, i was a vegetarian for 2 years and ate exclusively carbs (like 70%) and didnt lose any weight. I was squishy and lethargic. Then my doctor and I discovered all my intestinal discomfort was due to a gluten allergy. I went paleo and dropped 12 lbs in 4 weeks--ive kept it off ever since and have way more energy. My tummy is flat and i dont get swollen ankles any more. Grains do not agree with me. I also am a runner and do crossfit and I dont have any issues with energy.

so basically, try it out and see what works for you!
    Wow Vegetarian to Paleo just lke that?! Nice!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    All the carb bashing makes me crazy! I like to point out that next to models the thinnest people on earth are pro cyclists, and they typically eat a diet of 70% carbs, 15% protein, and 15% fat. This is the formula that Chris Carmichael prescribed for Lance Armstrong as he won seven Tours de France. Carbs are the human bodies preferred fuel. Cyclists load up on white potatoes, waffles, sugary drinks, and all the stuff low carber's avoid. My point is simply that low carb may work (in the short term) for sedentary people, but active people can eat and enjoy carbs almost without thought. I actively seek to add carbs to my diet on days when I cycle or run and I am losing weight to the point wher I may have to bump my calories up to slow the loss since I only need to lose a few more pounds to be at the mid point of the healthy bmi range. Diabetics and others with certain conditions may need to limit carbs, but it is not necessary for the average person and counter productive to those who enjoy active lifestyles. For most of us there is no need to obsess and stress over carbs; eat them, enjoy them, and burn them off!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie.... I think that you will not ever find out the "truth" about carbs. There are many reasons why there are so many varying opinions and positions about them. I read the book "Good Carbs Bad Carbs" by Gary Taubes. The rival book "The China Study" states the opposite. Who to believe?? Well... listen to your body. Dr. Atkins diet is pretty up front about how many carbs to eat daily, but not many people read the entire book to see that the low carb diet he wrote about is NOT just eating NO carbs. It is finding out HOW MANY YOU CAN EAT without weight gain. It is then up to you to stay within that limit. Most people on average eat about 600 g's of carbs per day, many of those the simple carbs that come from processed foods like white bread, rice, sugar... the evil white stuff. The reality should be that you eat about 60 to 70 carb grams per day. Most people can maintain a weight loss at that level, yet enjoy a piece of bread too, or some ice cream on occasion. For me, I do best with less to none of the processed simple carbs, and very few complex carbs. You may be different.... that is why Dr. Atkins states in his diet book that once the induction phase is over, you begin to add carbs ( complex... never simple ones) back into your diet at the rate of 10 per week. You then continue to eat the induction with the addition of those added carbs. You continue to do this until you are no longer losing weight. When you see a gain with an addition of carbs, then back off about 20 carbs, and you have your daily carb number that you can consume without weight gain. So, let's say that you start and by week 8 after induction, you now are at 80 carb grams per day. You notice that you are no longer losing, but are gaining. You now look at your carbs, and back off by 20.... so now your new total carb grams per day is 60. This is the amount of carbs you can s-a-f-e-l-y consume each day and not gain weight. Our bodies are amazing machines.... trust yours to tell you what it needs... not what it wants! ;)
    600 grams of carbs per day? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You might want to do some actual research before you just start making up ridiculous numbers. The average American eats around 300 grams of carbs per day, and that includes fruit, vegetables, grains, and all added sugars. That's actually less carbs than 10 years ago, and people are eating more fat than they were 10 years ago (25 grams a day less carbs, compared to 11 grams of fat more, total caloric intake is the same.)

For the record, 600 grams of carbs per day would be 2400 calories. The average American eats 2600 calories per day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just look at those of us losing massive amounts of weight and you'll get your answer in cold, hard facts. The low carb haters will crucify me for this, but Dr Atkins' plan (under 20g net carb/day) is what FINALLY got my fat *kitten* burning like crazy, lowered my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc and my family and friends say I'm much more peasant to be around. I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been in my life, and it's only been 7 months.

I would think this is true for many people with massive amounts of weight to lose. But it's not because carbs are bad, it's because most people with massive amounts of weight to lose have been eating way too many of the wrong types of carbs. There are far more obese people eating high amounts of processed white carbs and sugar, than there are obese people who limit sugar and stick to vegetables, fruit and whole grains for their carb intake.
  • jayrey72
    jayrey72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Read the 17 Day Diet, Atkin's Modified, and my mother is a registered dietitian. So I scoured all of my resources about this.

First, not all carbs are equal. Whole foods (non-processed) carbs are very good for you. And you NEED fiber if you want to lose weight. So essential.

Also, don't believe the hype about not eating fruits after 2 PM or whatever. Not true. It's all about net calories. Eating an apple at 8 PM is not going to make you fat. Eating a Big Mac will.

For those who have issues with carb addiction (like me), cutting starchy processed carbs is also very important. I just had to replace the bad stuff with the good stuff!
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Eating right is for life.

Could I live without carbs? NO! So, I include them in my diet. I haven't cut anything out except junk food (and even that I have on occasion).

It is all about finding a balance and eating everything in moderation. By cutting carbs out now I could potentially drop the weight a lot faster but then as soon as I go back to eating carbs I'd pick-up the weight faster than I lost it!

So...slow and steady wins the race.

Carbs are essential to any balanced diet. Focus on fruits and veggies and whole grains.

This is my truth:) I know if I cut out my starbucks completely or certain foods, I'd go into super craving them and have a calorie fest:(
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Every body is different. I flatly refuse to give up processed food and would never so much as consider low carb. I love them, and they love me. Since we are in love, they want me to be hot too and let my bodyfat melt away. They don't love everyone though.

Seriously though:

Moderate carb diets have better adherence, however some people don't react well to carbs, just like some people are lactose intolerant. A lot of people who do low carb gain it back when they eat carbs again, so pick what you want to do for life! Try Each for a month or so and see what is best for you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Read the 17 Day Diet, Atkin's Modified, and my mother is a registered dietitian. So I scoured all of my resources about this.

First, not all carbs are equal. Whole foods (non-processed) carbs are very good for you. And you NEED fiber if you want to lose weight. So essential.

Also, don't believe the hype about not eating fruits after 2 PM or whatever. Not true. It's all about net calories. Eating an apple at 8 PM is not going to make you fat. Eating a Big Mac will.

For those who have issues with carb addiction (like me), cutting starchy processed carbs is also very important. I just had to replace the bad stuff with the good stuff!
    If I'm not exceeding my calorie goal for the day, how exactly would eating a Big Mac at 8PM make me fat?
  • CaliDreams27
    CaliDreams27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MY truth, and I am not a nutritionist or a scientist or anyone else important, is that until I cut the carbs, I couldn't lose an ounce. My body had no idea how to use fat as fuel. Since I eat under 20g carbs a day, my body is re-learning how to fuel itself. I have never felt better, or stronger, and I'm losing weight.

But be prepared for the amount of drama this thread is going to cause. :)

I definitely agree. I was staying under my calorie limit and exercising and the scale wouldn't budge. For me, eating 1200-1500 calories a day of candy, 100 cal cookies, etc, in addition to my regular meals was hindering my weight loss (calories in, calories out is all that matters right? Not so much). My simple truth is that I can't maintain a lower calorie diet including sugars/carbs and lose weight consistently. My body just doesn't work that way. I am and have been a sugar addict my whole life so my body is very responsive when it comes to sugar and I store all of it. I'm doing lower carbs right now and have seen amazing results.

In addition, I am nowhere near as hungry when I don't eat as many carbs and being able to eat whenever I AM hungry is an added bonus. I never go to sleep hungry and that really means a lot to me.

Ultimately, you have to find what works best for your body and stick to that. Weight loss isn't a "one size fits all" equation and our bodies each handle carbs and respond to them differently:) Hope this helps!
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Or they just eat too frickin' much and don't work out enough! Giving people "metabolic disorder" as another excuse is absurd. Stop eating processed, nasty food in huge quantities. Work out to the point your body hurts - then keep going. We've become so soft and want it easy. You're going to be hungry sometimes, you've conditioned your body poorly. It wants the wrong things, in the wrong quantities at the wrong times. This is not a "metabolic disorder", this is gluttony.

Get up an hour earlier - or stay up an hour later. Work out that hour. Don't eat anything processed. Consume less than you burn consistently. You will lose it. It will NOT be easy. You will be sore. You will be hungry at times. It is not much fun. The results long-term are what are fun. I say all of this not as a genetic freak, but as someone who used to weight 222 pounds and ate his *kitten* off. That is the truth about carbs - it has nothing to do with macronutrients. Work out twice as much as you are now, eat much cleaner and less. AFTER that, let's worry about idiosyncrasies of macronutrient balance.

Now go work out!
  • angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    Options
    The truth about carbs, is what works with your body.

I remember my mom explaining the south beach diet she followed, she took out ALL carbs, then slowly worked back in and learned the difference between good carbs and not so good carbs. That I think is the key with all diet modifications, sorting the "good" from the "Bad."

When I cut out the carbs I cut out, it was pastas, breads, breaded foods, and most of my potato intake. But ultimately, that just re-directed my food focus, and made me have to look for other options. I also love that now when I eat, I don't get that overly weighed down full stomach feeling that puts me to sleep immediately, I'm just not hungry after a meal.

it's really just about finding what works with your body. Everyone is going to have a different argument, in the end, you know your body best, work with it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just look at those of us losing massive amounts of weight and you'll get your answer in cold, hard facts. The low carb haters will crucify me for this, but Dr Atkins' plan (under 20g net carb/day) is what FINALLY got my fat *kitten* burning like crazy, lowered my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc and my family and friends say I'm much more peasant to be around. I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been in my life, and it's only been 7 months.

I would think this is true for many people with massive amounts of weight to lose. But it's not because carbs are bad, it's because most people with massive amounts of weight to lose have been eating way too many of the wrong types of carbs. There are far more obese people eating high amounts of processed white carbs and sugar, than there are obese people who limit sugar and stick to vegetables, fruit and whole grains for their carb intake.

My first time ever trying lo lose weight (I was not overweight until I was 30 years old) I lost an average 1.8 pounds per week and went from a size 12 to a size 6 in 12 weeks. And I ate plenty of carbs.

My weight loss this time around is nonexistent due to my birth control, not my diet. I suspect if I stopped my current BC, my losses would pick up once again, regardless of carb consumption.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Ok... I need some valid and correct information. Everyone and every thing is contradictory! And it is pissing me off!!!!

My understanding was this... and it very well could be wrong. If you eat carbs... and they are not used for energy(fuel)... then they are stored. and become fat.
    Therefore the less carbs you eat... still provided you are giving your body some fuel... then your body turns to the stored fat for energy... Thats what makes fat loss.

So, today, after having my RMR tested. See Post here...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/596623-i-had-my-rmr-tested-here-is-what-it-said
    ...The "fitness professional" asks me how I am eating... I told her mostly clean... and lower carbs. No processed breads...mostly fruit, veg, sweet potatos and lots of meat. ..etc..... about 25-40% carb... 30-40% protein and remainder fat..nothing exact just lower carb.
    She says I need to eat about 50-60% carb. That is what will make me lose the fat.
    Also increases energy. They should be whole grains... rice, quinoa, couscous... etc. Which all seems "processed" to me.

So, whats the truth about carbs?
    Ok, in order for your body to store carbs as fat, you'd need to eat a ridiculously high level of them, around 750-800 grams a day while eating an overall calorie surplus. The fact is, your body burns through carbs for quick energy to control everything you do, particularly high intensity stuff. Total calories consumed (from all macros) control how much fat you burn. Eat less calories than you burn,you lose fat. Eat the same amount of calories, but less carbs, you burn the exact same amount of fat.

The only time cutting carbs will have any kind of beneficial effect is if you have diabetes, or some other metabolic dysfunction.

Oh and you don't need to eat a high level of carbs for them to be converted to fat. All you need is to have insulin resistance in the skeletal muscles.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/31/12587.full
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Whole grains that you buy in a package at a store aren't nessesarily processed. If you are concerned about them being processed read the ingredient information to be sure there aren't artificial preservatives added. Carbs being stored as fat isn't a fact. As long as you eat a balanced diet and have a calorie deflect you will loose weight.

Can you please provide peer-reviewed studies that prove that, as you say, "carbs being stored as fat isn't a fact."? I hate being that jerk but if you have actual factual evidence I would love to see it, considering I live a very low carb lifestyle and have done my research and homework, and I am unsure how one could believe that excess carbohydrates are not stored as fat.
    Excess anything will be stored as fat, in the case of caloric surplus. In the case of caloric balance, or caloric deficit, nothing will be stored as fat. It's human biology 101.

You're kind of making MY case, actually, though I think you meant to argue with me. The average person takes in so many carbs a day that there is NO WAY a non-active person could EVER burn them off. And, let's face it, there's a whole lot of inactive people out there.

For me, personally, I use this site to actively manage input and output, as well as to hold myself accountable; I will not say that it's 100%, but most people eating low-carb find themselves naturally at a low caloric intake. I'm absolutely not saying that low carb is for everyone. We all digest and process things differently. As explained to me by a dietician, somewhere in the high percentiles of people actually are gluten intolerant, and I think that is a big benefit - as detailed by other posters - of eating low carb, just a healthier system over all.

You will lose weight at a caloric deficit unless, like myself and others, you have some medical reason why you will not. No diet plan, exercise plan, or lifestyle change should be undergone without adequate advice and supervision from a healthcare professional. They may not provide you with the dietary change that will be what's best for YOU but you will know where you're starting off from, and what your hurdles along the way might be.

I got to goal without activity(due to a certain issue)...and was eating high carbs. So, saying NO WAY is a little ridiculous since I'm not you and you aren't me. Like other people here have said what works for someone else may not work for you...doesn't make it wrong.

I personally have not cut down on carbs. I keep my diet balanced. That works for me.

I'd be cranky as hell if I cut down on carbs lol.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Calories Consumed < Calories Burned = Weight Loss

Too often we try to make things too complicated. The above is the answer. Don't get me wrong, I believe when I eat a carb rich diet that I tend to consume more calories, and it's a gateway for me to overeat. But again, this is a "micro-economic" view point. The "macro-economic" viewpoint is the above equation. Burn more calories than you consumer on a regular basis, and over time you will lose weight. In short, do more, eat less.

You don't need HCG or HGC or whatever the latest fad is, you need to work out hard, and eat quality food to replenish your body in amounts that are slightly less that what you've burned - the weight will come off. If it's not - then work harder, eat smarter. Best of luck.

This. 100% this.