Zumba

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this, in fact...today is my first day on MFP. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success with MFP and Zumba combined? If so, how often did you work out to Zumba and how long did it take you to drop the weight?

I'm 33, 5'6 and around 160Ibs, but would LOVE to get down to 125 (if possible). :smile:

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'6 also. I started MFP back in Feb or 2011. I started out doing mostly Zumba. I would do it twice a day.
    I also added in some dvd's that combine cardio and strength. I hit my goal weight a while ago. I am maintaining at 120lbs!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I lost nearly 40 pounds last year combining workouts with Zumba, other cardio and MFP. It does work. I love Zumba! Trying to get back on track now. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I lost nearly 40 pounds last year combining workouts with Zumba, other cardio and MFP. It does work. I love Zumba! Trying to get back on track now. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
    Go for it! Zumba is a very great high intense cardio workout and you will lose weight. Good luck with it:flowerforyou:
  • tables24
    tables24 Posts: 2
    Options
    Never tried Zumba but it sounds fun. I am doing the Melt It Off program from Mitch Gaylord. It is working out really great for me.
  • ZumbaholicEmz
    ZumbaholicEmz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

I have been on MFP for about a month and have lost 9 lbs. I am hooked to zumba and go about 4 or 5 times a week, but not because I am desperate to drop the pounds.. I am just totally addicted to it. It has helped me loose weight, I've made a bunch of friends and it has given me so much more confidence. Loving life right now and its all down to zumba!
    Feel free to add me if you like! Good luck with your weight loss journey! xx
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba!!!
    Can't think of anything better to start the day with :D
  • ImGreatInGod777
    Options
    Hola all! I teach zumba lost 80 pounds with it but over time due to stress,worrying, and anti-depressants, I've become insulin resistant (non diabetic..just can't handle carbs). so I'm watching my carb intake & changing up my workouts, even my own zumba program since I teach 5 days a week (still have to be burning something) lol. but I've come to far to go back 210lbs. But Yes! ZUMBA with the right teacher is a great cardio and full body workout. ~ Blessings
  • arelis0219
    arelis0219 Posts: 8
    Options
    Am new on MFP also and am trying Zumba three times a week..havent see a much diference since I started this two weeks ago but I could tell you that by the end of the work out you will feel a ton of energy from it. Its a great work out..Am loving it and every second of it. Althought I dont see the difference my friend at work told me this morning that she sees the diference..keep motivated and let Zumba!
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Hi, there!

I started out doing nothing but Zumba and MFP - and dropped about 15 pounds. I actually became a Zumba Instructor - and it's so awesome to be able to get paid for something I love to do and would have done anyway! Not to mention I'm held VERY accountable because other women are counting on me!

Having said that - I do think it's equally as important to get some strength training in there as well. I found that the weight came off more quickly and my body started to look more "fit" than it did doing Zumba alone.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i tried zumba once and walked out half way through the class. its just not for me. i didnt even break a sweat and felt silly doing the same step left, step right, wiggle movements. i like more high impact work outs.
    but i have heard a lot of people say zumba really helped them so i would say give it a try.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    When I stick to my zumba i usually do 40-60 minutes everyday for about 2 weeks, i lost about 5 lbs and an inch. I would recommend it.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I do zumba.. started 6 days a week , one hour everyday, now Id do it 3 times a week for 60 min each day and take long walks the other 3..
    So far so good!, 40 lbs less.
  • Lberch12
    Lberch12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone me and my friend abaldauf07 are new to mfp, we have been doing zumba for the past 2months looking for friends & motivation..... Add Us.... Thnkx!!!!!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba first week in March and I have contributed a 17lb loss to Zumba (one class a week and about twice a week on wii), MFP, and a bit of running once a week if I don't do wii Zumba. I love love love Zumba.
  • Rozieq84
    Rozieq84 Posts: 38
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. It's so much fun to dance around and be sassy. It is a good weight loss tool. Basically an hour of fun goes by but it was actually a work out too. Finding an instructor that you love is really important to it being fun. You'll make friends, you'll sweat, and you'll smile! :)
  • dottedwithearts
    Options
    Zumba is the greatest thing to ever be invented! I also love doing Bokwa :)
  • TigersLions
    TigersLions Posts: 34
    Options
    I love Zumba and I believe that in order to exercise, you have to find something you like to do and WANT to do in order to keep up with it. I use a heart rate monitor and I do a live class and Kinect Zumba Rush (which is stellar by the way). I weigh about 130 and burn about 400 calories in an hour workout (depending on the dance, my heart rate will go between 120 and 150) whereas if I were to go running for that same amount of time, I'd burn 600 calories (heart rate in the 160's+). But again, you have to do what you like to do. I have been tracking my calories burned during heavy weight lifting/strength training and am impressed with the amount of calories that burns but unfortunately, it doesn't interest me. Right now I'm kind of doing a little using Jillian Michaels on Kinect for a half hour and then Zumba for a half hour but I need to do more strength training. You will definitely see results with Zumba but later on you may plateau and need to add in something different and strength training.. I think that is where I am at right now.
  • susieqa6699
    susieqa6699 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    First let me say I HATE CARDIO WORKOUTS.....but I could zumba all day long and not feel like I am working out, that is why I love it. I started MFP March 12 and I am down 23 lbs since I started. I have lost over 12 inches on my body, I have never felt so good. I also do some other classes for strength training but Zumba is my cardio workout.
  • kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Thank you for responding to my post, it's greatly appreciated. I'm glad to see that the majority of you love zumba and have had success with it. I bought the dvd collection 2 weeks ago and try to workout 4 times a week for 45 minutes. For those of you who have done the DVD and classes, which method of Zumba do you like better and get a better work out from?

Thanks again, you guys/girls are awesome and very inspiring/motivating :0)
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I love the way you can burn so many calories without realising and it still being so fun. The music is so catchy and it's even more fun to do with my friends, there's now a little gang of us who go!