Cruise question

Options

Replies

• kaellinn18
    kaellinn18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eat in the main dining room. It's 5-star service & food every night. Plus, it's cleaner that hitting the buffet and the food is healthier. You can usually breakfast to order every morning too.

Agreed. On Royal Caribbean, at least, the food is phenomenal. If you want to splurge a night or two at a specialty restaurant, you get great food for a cheap price, but the main dining hall is awesome.
    If you like wine, buy a wine package, it's really nice to have a good wine with a great meal. It's cheaper than buying

This really depends on how much wine you drink. It's not worth it unless you're drinking it pretty much every day.
    If you to hit the bars/clubs, check them all out in the first day or two, find one that fits you, sit at the bar. The bartenders are a lot of fun usually if it's not crazy busy. Get to know them, they'll remember your preferences and make suggestions if you want.

Yep, the bartenders are generally awesome people and a lot of fun.
    Eat at the early seating or an early time if there is not seating schedules. Spend the rest of the evening enjoying the ship other activities. The shows in the showroom usually coincide with the early/late seating times so you want miss the show if you want to see it.

I disagree here. We eat late seating every time. There are a lot less noisy kids. You don't have to worry about missing shows because they have one for each dinner seating. Take the late seating if you want a more adult atmosphere.
    Skip the "Shopping Workshop" it's just them promoting partner shops.

I cannot agree with this enough DO NOT GO TO THIS. All this person is going to do is try and get you to spend money you don't have. They will try and spin it as great deals, but it is really not worth it. You can find great bargains just walking around on your own and talking with locals.
    Definitely have a passport, even if not required. Keep it with you in the ports.

This is very important. Even if the cruise doesn't require it, get a passport and keep it on you when you are off the ship. Keep it in your safe when you are on board.

Book shore excursions ahead of time with the website, some fill up very quickly.

Also very important. Don't wait until the last minute. Booking in advance also helps you know exactly how much you are spending.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't want to bring it down, but these are my honest suggestions: bring soduku and books! If you're anything like me, you'll be crazy bored (but the first two days will be fun).

Enjoy the food, spend lots of time in the gym, and don't think for a minute that the ports you go to really represent the countries.
  • kaellinn18
    Options
    Regarding posts about weight gain, that's really entirely up to you. I've gone on vacations and lost weight. The food is really good, yes, but pretty much every ship has a gym, and if you're off doing fun shore excursions, you'll generally be burning calories there as well (swimming, snorkeling, hiking, walking around town, etc). If you get up a little early every day and hit the gym hard for half an hour, you'll probably be set.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Take a clock and some kind of air freshner for the bathroom in your stateroom. If you have an interior room, you have no way to tell the time of day because you can't see the sun and my room didn't have an alarm clock of any kind plus my US cell phone didn't work/cost to much to use.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Lots of info! Thanks everyone!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food, spend lots of time in the gym, and don't think for a minute that the ports you go to really represent the countries.

You have to get outside the "touristy" areas. Don't be afraid to try some local food & drinks too. We rented a car and drove to the French side of St Maarten and ate at an awesome local dive and got to see what way more stuff than being crammed.

Also, if you don't have any/much high-traffic motorcycle or scooter experience, DO NOT rent a scooter to get around. It's pretty dangerous.

JM
  • Cschwartz63
    Options
    Went on my first one last year August and going on another in Sept. Eastern Caribbean also. Love the first cruise, and planning just to hang out on the ship this time. Sunscreen, sea sick patches just in case,and favorite hang out clothes.. Have fun on your cruise.. oh which cruise line are going on
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been on about 10 cruises....just got off one last week!! IMHO best vacations....very relaxing. Love it. If you have any specific questions send me a message. :)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I need info on cruises, Info you wish you had when you went on your first, tips, suggestions. ANYTHING!

I might be going on a cruise in Septemeber. I've never been on one before, and I'm one to plan and prep like no other and then forget everything I should have done. haha

I guess there wasn't really a question... sorry

Edit: Going to Eastern Caribbean

Rumrunners or bust!
  • kaellinn18
    Options
    Take a clock and some kind of air freshner for the bathroom in your stateroom. If you have an interior room, you have no way to tell the time of day because you can't see the sun and my room didn't have an alarm clock of any kind plus my US cell phone didn't work/cost to much to use.

I could not agree more here as well. We did an interior room once and probably won't again. It really is pitch dark, so you have no idea what time it is when you wake up. Also, no natural light throws off your sleep pattern. It's worth it if it's the best way you can afford to go, but just be sure to follow artbkward's advice and bring an alarm clock (maybe also a night light).
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Aside from what we discussed - leave a little tip for the cleaning staff. You'll get lots of extras!

THIS!.. and if you think you might get woozy invest in an seaband (accupressure band for your arms that helps a ton.. I use mine to fly too) PLAY BINGO haha.. I won $1000 playing ( nearly crapped myself) treat yourself to the steak house (SOO worth it even just for the atmosphere)

relax and enjoy
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a carribean cruise about a month ago! THis is NO JOKE- WEAR SUNSCREEN! Nothing less then SPF 30- the sun is WAY different there. I went indoor tanning before we left, I wore SPF 30 and still came back pretty tan! HAVE A GREAT TIME!
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Find out everything you can about the off-shore excursions. There are usually tonnes of choices that include exercise, e.g. walking tours, kayaking, snorkling. Try to fit those in. You'll have fun and you'll burn some calories too.

Don't forget that you can go dancing in the ship clubs at night! You'll have fun and exercise doing that too.

Seek out healthy choices on the ship. I was surprised to find out there was a sunrise yoga session on the deck every morning. Admittedly, I never got up early enough to partake. But, that's a nice option. Also, you might find lots of healthy things on the menu. I usually ate from the "spa" menu. It was wonderful! I never felt deprived - especially because I had dessert too. :O)

(I only gained 2 pounds on my cruise and it came off fast.)

HAVE FUN!!!!!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just a few things I always do. Scan a copy of your passport, and place it in your luggage. If your Passport should disappear - you have something.

Batteries, Film or SD Cards, make sure you bring them - sure you can get them at the stores, but they will charge you more. If you are worried about getting sea-sick, I highly recommend Bonine (Walmart in Rx dept. No perscription needed. ~$5 for more than you will need for the cruise). They taste like strawberry candy, they do NOT make you dizzy, tired or nautious - practially no side effects at all, unlike Dramamine. One little pill lasts like 12 hours.

Suntan lotion, and I'm a big fan of the spray-on high block stuff for your face. Unlike the lotion that partially absorbs, then mixes with your sweat and makes your eyes red, bloodshot, sore and sensitive - the spray-on tends to soak in and not run into your eyes.

Comfy flip-flops to take topside by the pool. Expect to get wet, as the pool feels WONDERFUL. Slipping into a comfy over-sized T-shirt and grabbing a snack in between reading, swimming and people watching.

Grab a book you've always wanted to read - you will have tons of time.

Every ship has an AMAZING Gym, so gym trunks or work-out clothes. Then, enjoy a nice sauna. You can't bring too many swim suits, short or light weight tops.

Exercise moderately every day, and eat whatever sounds good - this is your VACATION, your diet will be back here waiting for your return. Enjoy yourself.
  • kaellinn18
    Options
    If you're doing excursions, I would suggest you find a private group on the island instead of booking through the ship. The ship will discourage this and say theres a chance you won't get back in time, blah blah. But it's really because the ship wants you money and they charge a lot more than the private groups! The private groups make their money on cruisers and they will make sure you get back to your ship on time!

I would be careful about this, depending on your time schedule. In general this is probably fine, but depending on the cruise you may be in port for only a few hours. While these private groups will be cheaper than going through the cruise line, if something happens (car breaks down, inclement weather, etc) and you don't get back to port in time, your ship WILL leave without you. If you book an excursion through the cruise line and something happens, the ship will stay in port until you make it back. Just an FYI.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    you will eat and you will eat A LOT!! Don't be afraid to order more then one dish at the fancy dinners but they don't care if you clean your plate..tips are VERY welcome often your houseboy/girl & serving team sends money back home(almost always overseas) and they will give you extra attention if you give them extra attention , treat them like what they are hard working people with interesting back stories.
    do excursions they are lovely and well worth the extra $$ and certain towns are just unsafe to wonder without a guide of a sort.
    dress nicely but do makeup and hair according to hot sticky weather and take your camera for sure!
    HAVE FUN AND PM with any questions I have been on 2 cruises so far and they were lovely!
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Look at the www.cruisecritic.com
    They have a whole section for first time cruisers.

I learned the hard way to BRING A WATCH. There are not a lot of clocks around the ship and all the activities have a start time.

I've been on 6 cruises all Carnival so message me if you have any specific question about that line.

I'm not sure what your budget is like but I would really recommend the Steak House for one meal especially if your going with a significant other. It cost extra ($30 a person or so) but it is an amazing experience.

Have fun and don't let anyone experience ruin your whole cruise.

**** I almost forgot, GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!! I always use Travel Guard, it is cheaper than going through the cruise line. This will be a life saver if there is a medical emergency during your cruise. Almost all will cover getting airlifted off the ship, something that can cost $100,000!!! ****
  • pglaf
    pglaf Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading this.
    I just went on my first cruise last summer (to Alaska). I loved it and I'm hooked.

Lots of great advice here.

Have fun!!!!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Experienced cruiser & planner here, hit me up with specifics if you need to. I've cruised with RCCL (Royal Caribbean) the most and really like the line.

Eat in the main dining room. It's 5-star service & food every night. Plus, it's cleaner that hitting the buffet and the food is healthier. You can usually breakfast to order every morning too.

If you like wine, buy a wine package, it's really nice to have a good wine with a great meal. It's cheaper than buying

If you to hit the bars/clubs, check them all out in the first day or two, find one that fits you, sit at the bar. The bartenders are a lot of fun usually if it's not crazy busy. Get to know them, they'll remember your preferences and make suggestions if you want.

Eat at the early seating or an early time if there is not seating schedules. Spend the rest of the evening enjoying the ship other activities. The shows in the showroom usually coincide with the early/late seating times so you want miss the show if you want to see it.

Skip the "Shopping Workshop" it's just them promoting partner shops.

If you have a day at sea, check out the usually awesome list of activities run by the ships professionals (chefs, dancers etc)

Definitely have a passport, even if not required. Keep it with you in the ports.

Don't overpack, it's easy to do. One really nice outfit for night. Aside from swim/beach wear, just few other things are all you'll need.

Book shore excursions ahead of time with the website, some fill up very quickly.

Never heard about the toothbrush thing. But I do keep mine tossed in my toiletries bag so it's not just laying around.

Planning?

I had a thin notebook with copies of EVERY piece of documentation & confirmations for reservations & transportation, along with a photocopy of passport & driver's license organized by day. Also in this, I put information about the port we'll be in along with things I wanted to see/do etc.

That's all I can think of so far.

JM

This covered everything you need to know. Cruising is a total BLAST! Enjoy it!
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    Don't know what the question is, but yes I will go!!!:smile: