how to make fish?

Options
I know that eating fish is healthy a few times a week. However i DO NOT like the fishy smell and have NO clue what kind of fish to buy nor which ones are the healthiest. Any tips for something that is not 'fishy' and is still healthy?

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    personal favorite is tilapia fish or salmon. pretty much any baking recipe with mild spice is okay.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    anyone else?
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like salmon as mentioned above. I stack a few asparagus spears, a salmon filet and a slice or two of lemon on top and wrap in parchment paper to make a packet. It takes 15 minutes or so to bake and there's very little cleanup involved.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    My favorite is halibut. If you have a Whole Foods in your area, they have 4oz portions for $5.99. I prepare it like the people on America's Test Kitchen showed one day. Preheat the oven to 375. You salt and pepper both sides of the fish. I also put paprika although they didn't. Then you sprinkle a bit of sugar on one side only. I do it on the side with the skin. Then you place it in an oven safe frying pan with a very small amount of oil on medium high heat, sugar side down until that side is caramelized. Flip it over and immediately stick the pan in the oven and cook for 6 minutes.

Halibut is not very fishy and this method makes it very moist. I eat the skin on it as well as on salmon but you don't have to, of course. I've tried this method with tilapia too, but instead of leaving it for 6 minutes, I leave them in for only 3-4 because the fillets are much thinner than halibut.

Very fresh ahi tuna is also not fishy but it is hella expensive. I had some today that I just seared on both sides. Didn't prepare it like above. I like sushi more than life itself so I eat mine raw-ish, but it's good even if you cook it all the way through.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Steamed catfish. Salmon steaks....mmmmmmmmm
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    If you don't like it, why bother eating it? Won't taking an omega supplement be just as effective?
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Cooking in the microwave cuts down on the smell but the best taste is just quick fry with some salt & pepper in a pan with a tiny spray of oil! Mackerel a little more smelly but full of good oil & no extra required!!
  • jefflturn
    jefflturn Posts: 41
    Options
    I would stick to saltwater fish since cooking fish is new to you. Always rinse the fish in water prior to cooking or seasoning. Make sure your source for fish is fresh. Here are some things to try:

Swordfish = pan fry or grill with salt and pepper and use lemon to taste. You can't go wrong with this one.
    Flounder = same as above
    Red Snapper = Cook on the grill with some garlic salt and onions.

You will be an expert in no time.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and my hubby and boys were just at a nearby state park fishing today. We caught nothing. In Minnesota it's almost a requirement to like fish if you want to live here. Even in farm country where I live we have dozens of lakes.

Our favorites are cod, walleye, salmon, talipia, pollock, mahi mahi, orange roughy and my personal favorite: swordfish.

Google recipes for them, but if you don't like fish, don't force yourself to eat them. Take an omega 3 pill instead. If you are forced to eat things you don't like, you may fail.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and my hubby and boys were just at a nearby state park fishing today. We caught nothing. In Minnesota it's almost a requirement to like fish if you want to live here. Even in farm country where I live we have dozens of lakes.

Our favorites are cod, walleye, salmon, talipia, pollock, mahi mahi, orange roughy and my personal favorite: swordfish.

Catch a lotta swordfish dere in Minnesotah?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Poaching fish in water is pretty easy and idiot proof. Bring water to a boil, add fish so that it is completely immersed to kill bacteria and cut the heat so that the water stays around 140 degrees F. This way, you can leave in the fish for a long time without overcooking it

Tilapia tastes identical to chicken
  • miss_believer
    Options
    I second Tilapia and Salmon! SO TASTY.
  • imapunkybunny
    imapunkybunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use to hate fish, mostly because I was scared to cook it, but I have gotten to where I love it. First of all, don't use frozen fish. The flavor is SOOO much better using fresh fish. Seriously, it tastes completely different using fresh fish and frozen fish. Here are a few of my favorite healthy fish recipes:

Baked Salmon with a creamy dill sauce
    12 -16 oz salmon
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1 tsp pepper (or to taste)
    1 tbs olive oil

Dill Sauce:
    1/2 cup sour cream (light is only 40 calories per 2 tbs)
    2 tbs dill weed, minced (more if you use fresh dill) + (optional) sprigs for garnish
    1/2 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tbs finely chopped green onions

Mix all your dill sauce ingredients in a bowl. Put in refrigerator until time to serve.
    Preheat oven to 350. You can either slice salmon into 4-6oz pieces or leave whole, depending on your presentation. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Pour your oil onto a pan and spread evenly. Place salmon down, skin side down. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until firm and flaky.
    When time to serve, pour a few spoonfuls over center of fish (or serve on the side). Garnish with a sprig of dill.

Dijon Herb Crusted Salmon

2-3 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chopped rosemary
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt and pepper
    12 -16 oz salmon

In a bowl, mix your dijon, olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350. You can either slice salmon into 4-6oz pieces or leave whole, depending on your presentation. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Pour your oil onto a pan and spread evenly. Place salmon down, skin side down. Cover tops of salmon with mustard mix. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until firm and flaky. If you want an extra crispy crust, bake for a few less minutes and turn on the broiler. This is really tasty with the dill sauce from the last recipe, too!

Pecan Crusted Trout with Mango Salsa

Salsa:
    1 mango, pitted and diced
    1 jalapeno, diced with seeds removed
    2 tbs lime juice
    1/3 large red onion, diced
    2 plum tomatoes, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ cup chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Fish:
    4 Trout fillets
    2 tbs olive oil + more as needed
    1 cup Buttermilk (feel free to either substitute with plain yogurt)
    1 cup pecans, chopped finely
    1 cup panko bread crumbs
    2 tbs chopped parsley
    2 tbs chopped basil
    ½ tsp salt + pinch
    ¼ tsp pepper + pinch
    cooking spray

Mix all salsa ingredients together and toss. Set aside.
    Heat oven to 425. In a large bowl, mix pecans, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour buttermilk into another bowl. Sprinkle both sides of each fish with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Dredge fillets in buttermilk then set them in pecan mixture, pressing the mixture into the fillets. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Lay fish, skin side up, in pan and saute for about 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Instead of turning, place them skin side down on cooking sprayed baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes, or until fish is flaky.
    Serve either with salsa on the side, on a bed of salsa, or whatever... it will taste fabulous either way! If you want to be extra fancy, garnish each with a sprig of cilantro!

Lastly, if you like sushi, find a local place that carries sushi grade tuna (usually a fish market or some Asian markets) and slice some up and put it on a salad! One of my favorite salads is a big bowl of arugula or spring mix, slices of tangerines, goat cheese, sunflower seeds, and about 2-4 oz raw sushi grade tuna slices with a citrus vinaigrette or ginger dressing. It tastes super fresh and delicious! Dude, I am totally going to go make that today...
    Also, tuna tataki is really easy. Take your slab of sushi grade tuna and season it with soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and press in sesame seeds. Get a pan super hot with a little olive oil or sesame oil then sear the sides of the tuna. You don't want to cook it through, just enough to give it a crust, leaving the inside raw. Seriously good.

I am on an online cooking show, Drinking Chefs, which makes this journey pretty hard sometimes, but I am working on more and more healthy recipes to further my journey. If you want to see any more of them, and I promise this is not a shameless plug, but a way to let yall know how to get in touch with me if you like these recipes, but www.drinkingchefs.com is where I post most of my recipes. I have avocado cucumber salad, and even worked on figuring out how to make a light version of chicken curry (one of my favorite things!).
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Get Swai fish.

It is a white fish that is very mild tasting. It is also one the cheapest fish around. It is also listed as a good alternative by seafoodwatch.org which means it is farmed in a decent manner and isn't overfished, etc.

I made this for my bf who hates fish, he loved it!
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    the fishier it is the better to broil it...I prefer salmon, talapia or halibut....salmon is the best, wild caught. In stainless steel pan with a little olive oil whatever seasonings you like (i like sea salt, red pepper flakes and italian seasoning) put lid on steam lightly till just barely done. Or broil on broiling pan with little olive oil and what spices you like.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Catch a lotta swordfish dere in Minnesotah?

You betcha! LOL
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Does shellfish count? If so mussels are high in protein and super low in calories, my basic moules marinere comes in around 150 calories per portion

Soften 2 chopped shallots and 2 crushed garlic cloves in 1 tbsp of butter, use a large pan with a tight fitting lid.
    Once soft but not browned add 25ml of dry white wine and roughly 1kg of live mussels, put the lid on the pan and let it steam til the mussels open
    Once open add 10 ml of cream (i personally prefer elmlea cream substitue) 2 tbsp of chopped parsley and 1 tbsp of chopped chives.
    Stir and ladle into bowls

It only takes a few minutes to make, smells of a creamy wine sauce and looks like you've had a chef round to cook for you
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Here are some of my favourites templates for dealing with fish. They can all be customized with whatever sauces and seasonings you like. You could add veggies to the kebabs, use the fish over salad or in pasta, and add apple slices or tomato to the tuna melts. I also love the yogurt mustard dill sauce in this DinnerALoveStory post http://www.dinneralovestory.com/our-royal-family/.

BBQ Salmon/Trout with Seafood Sauce
    1. Brush salmon or trout with BBQ or Seafood Sauce
    2. Bake for 10-15 minutes (until opaque and flakey)

BBQ Shrimp Kebabs
    1. Overnight, throw some bbq sauce on frozen, raw, deveined shrimp and put them in the fridge to thaw; also start soaking some bbq skewers
    2. Next day at dinner, start up the bbq and thread the shrimp on skewers
    3. BBQ 2-5 mins per side, until they are pink

Fried White Fish
    1. Season a little flour with parmesan cheese, onion powder, and paprika
    2. Rinse white fish fillets, pat dry, and dredge both sides in flour
    3. Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan
    4. Fry about 5 mins per side until golden and firm

Tuna Melts
    1. Drain a can of tuna, mix with a little greek yogurt or mayo
    2. Put tuna on english muffins or halved naan
    3. Top with shredded cheese
    4. Broil until cheese is bubbly
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Salmon is very "not fishy" but it can get expensive. Make sure you clean your stove hood after cooking the fish and IMMEDIATELY wash any pans and plates that had fish on them to help with the smell. I also like swai, that is probably the leash fishy of them all. I usually eat mine with a little pasta and fresh vegetables, or just a salad. When I cook it, I use a tiny bit of butter, parsley, lemon and red pepper flake.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try some of these. I love fish but I'm not very experienced at cooking it.