Is the app not properly calcualting

Options
First of all, I love this app. Have lost 22 lbs and I thank MFP for 80% of that,

Anyway, my question. As ones weight drops during dieting shouldn't you have to eat LESS CALORIES to maintain the same loss? In other words, as my weight drops so should the calories I need eat to lose 2lbs a week. After 22 lbs it has not changed. Still the same as it was when I was 257.

I created a second account to test this. I used my current weight which is 235, I chose sedentary, my goal is 200 and I chose 2lbs a week & 1947 D.O.B. From that profile it showed I need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week.

Now I go into my "real" account and it is still saying I need 1380/calories a day despite the fact all the other stats are the same as the other account. Since I am losing weight and weigh less than when I started I should need to eat EVEN LESS to maintain the 2lbs/week loss. I mean if I got to 100lbs (obvious hyperbole) and it still said I could eat 1380 calories I would GAIN weight not lose it. :smile:

Replies

• deefloyd56
    deefloyd56 Posts: 1
    Options
    First off Mr Ed, congrats on losing 22 pounds, that's awesome! In response to your question, I wondered the same thing and found that the BMR calculator in tools, will help you with that. It is a calculation of your Basic Metobolic (resting)Rate. This will help you in each stage to see if your caloric need changes. I found these tools were only available on the full website and cannot be accessed on the iPhone app. I have reduced my recommemded intake 25 to 50 calories in the course of losing 13 pounds, and the hope of losing 12 more. Keep up the good work!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Go here and hit the green "Update Profile" button.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • MisterEdF
    MisterEdF Posts: 5
    Options
    First off Mr Ed, congrats on losing 22 pounds, that's awesome! In response to your question, I wondered the same thing and found that the BMR calculator in tools, will help you with that. It is a calculation of your Basic Metobolic (resting)Rate. This will help you in each stage to see if your caloric need changes. I found these tools were only available on the full website and cannot be accessed on the iPhone app. I have reduced my recommemded intake 25 to 50 calories in the course of losing 13 pounds, and the hope of losing 12 more. Keep up the good work!

Thank You ... I feel so much better. Went from a loose 46 to a tight 42 pants. :) I will check out the tools you mentioned.
  • MisterEdF
    MisterEdF Posts: 5
    Options
    Go here and hit the green "Update Profile" button.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Thanks .... but been there, done that. It dropped the calories from 1380 to 1370 yet when "starting from scratch" it went down almost 200 calories/day with the identical stats.